Newmedia on Fri, 18 Apr 1997 20:53:01 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> The English Ideology and N. Catherine Hayles

Folks:

In the interest of explicating why the epistemology adopted by Hayles and her
fellow "social constructionists" is, in fact, just the Yin to WIRED
magazine's Yang (i.e. the "left" side of the same techno-utopian movement to
which WIRED is the "right" side), I'd like to refer to some interesting
passages in Leibniz' commentary on Hobbes and Locke.

As you recall from my earlier essay, "The English Ideology and WIRED
Magazine", Hobbes and Locke represent two of the more important constructors
of the view which seeks to use technology to fundamentally reshape human
affairs by re-defining humanity itself.  This effort, which I have previously
identified with the Enlightenment, reflected an ongoing factional battle
within the oligarchy for control of future imperial ventures -- i.e. those
which we now refer to as the Global/Tribal Information Age.

What we have come to know as "liberal" is this Enlightenment-launched effort
to champion "reason" over "faith" and, ultimately, to use "reason" to create
technologies which would permit widescale social engineering -- i.e. the
technocrats.  Likewise, what we generally refer to as historically
"conservative" is their opponents, those who gravitated to the "faith" side
of this artificial split, the other principle oligarchist faction -- i.e. the
aristocrats.  Today, the conservatives are represented by fundamentalists of
all stripes and the liberals are represented by techno-utopians of all
stripes.   Both are the oligarchist children of the Enlightenment, as I'm
sure that you are all aware.

In contemporary terms, "left" techno-utopians are the likes of George Soros
(and his LSE mentor Karl Popper) and "right" techno-utopians are the likes of
Louis Rossetto (and his LSE mentor Fred. von Hayek).  As I have been
cautioning, however, a technocrat is a liberal oligarchist and a
fundamentalist is merely a conservative oligarchist -- both being none other
than oligarchists in all essentials.   And, as I have been suggesting,
strategic thinking requires understanding the various forms that oligarchist
politics (liberal/conservative and "left"/"right") takes shape -- lest we
find ourselves merely choosing sides amongst oligarchist factions as we
ourselves move into battle.

Leibniz represents one of the principle anti-Enlightenment philosophers and
therefore serves as a powerful foundation for understanding the origins of
our present crisis while pointing the way towards solutions to the artificial
split between reason and faith which has dominated Western history since
roughly the 17th century.  In this regard, a full-blown Leibniz revival is
long over due.

But, to the specifics of Hayles epistemology and it's association with Hobbes
and Locke.  "Social Constructionism" seems to hold that meaning is contingent
on social conventions -- particularly on the highly variable use of language
throughout history.  As Hayles states,

"A model of representation that declines the leap to abstraction figures
itself as species-specific, culturally determined, and context-dependent."
 And,

"The temptation to forget the complexities of this account and abstract to
the shorthand is very strong.  From such abstraction comes the belief that
nature operates according to laws that are universally and impartially true.
 What is the harm in moving to the abstraction?  The implications become
clear when we look at what it leaves out of the account.  Gone from view are
the species specific position and processing of the observer; the context
that conditions observation, even before conscious thought forms; and the
dynamic interactive nature of the encounter." And,

"Recognizing that scientific theories operate within the theater of
representation, it emphasizes that meaning production is socially and
linquistically constructed."

I am suggesting that this identification of meaning with cultural context and
conventions of language usage is, at root, Hobbesian.  Hobbes, as you recall,
in addition to his view of life as "war of all against all", is specifically
remembered for his doctrine that, insofar as all truth depends on
definitions, and definitions are arbitrary, so is truth: "True and false
belong to speech, and not to things . . . The first truths are arbitrarily
made by those that first of all imposed names upon things"(Body, Man and
Citizen, pp. 48-49).  Hobbes would no doubt have approved Hayles' semiotic
squares in which the position Truth is designated (unoccupied).

In 1677, Leibniz composed a "Dialogue" which deals with this issue, from
which the following excerpt is instructive (A: is Leibniz and B: is a
student, while the "learned men" refers to Hobbes and his followers):