rebecca l. eisenberg on Wed, 7 May 1997 23:23:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Bill Gates' "Home".

As a brief point of information, this particular email has been circulating
widely throughout the US for at least several days, possibly longer.  I was
told yesterday that the item is, in fact, under concerted investigation by
journalists, particularly in light of Bill's upcoming 100-CEO event at his
home.

Even if fictional, the list has some informational value.  For example, it
demonstrates how some would visualize the 'dream' home of Gates (perhaps a
projection of their own dreams), as well as illustrates the types of
technological living 'improvements' that people believe to be possible --
and may well be possible -- in May, 1997.

rle

At 10:28 AM -0500 5/7/97, David S. Bennahum wrote:
>If all architecture is, in some way, a reflection of a world-view, then
>perhaps it is interesting to read the details of what critics find notable
>about Bill Gates' new "home" being built outside Seattle.  What follows is
>a list of descriptions compiled by local building officials who toured
>Bill Gates' home.  "Melinda" is the name of his wife.
>
>These descriptions were sent to me via Omar Wassow, the person who runs
>New York Online (http://www.nyo.com/)
>
>Here is one official's commentary:
<snip>
>- All building officials were suffering "sensory overload" shortly after the
>3-hour tour started.

rebecca.lynn.eisenberg
mars@bossanova.com, mars@well.com
http://www.bossanova.com/rebeca/