Luchezar Boyadjiev on Wed, 28 May 1997 16:14:01 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> replay: Piran, re: Matthew Smith

>· We celebrate the re-mapping of the Ex-East/Ex-West and the return to
>  geography.

>You mean you want to return to all the lines on the map? Don't you think
>enough wars have been fought over those lines already? M.S.

Dear all,
Just to further the misunderstanding about geography and lines on the map...
Recently I was asked to take part in an exhibition titled "Is Europe just a
word?" in Siena, Italy. My responce to the title was: "No, Europe is not
just a word. It is just a map, a dream, a projection, etc."
Thinking along the lines of re-mapping, fictional and real, I sent a "work"
which consists of a set of 100 regular-sized post cards in a small box. You
know, post cards with views just like the ones a tourist is likely to buy
while on a visit to any place. The only thing is that on each one of the
cards there is a "view" of a particular segment from a b&w 19th century map
of Europe which is closed off by every five paralles and meridians. For
instance: "View of Europe between the 25th and the 30th meridians and the
40th and the 45th parallels". You can see Corsika, upper Sardinia, and parts
of Italy (Siena) on this view...It seemed like a nice way to come up with
still another type of division, fairly geographical at that.
When you "zoom in" on a real territory it becomes quite frightening, doesn't
it?
Best regards.

Luchezar
P.S. Best to all who were in Liverpool for the LEAF conference in April.

---