Will French on Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:23:29 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Translation: The vagina is the boss on internet

Peter Tomaz Dobrila wrote:

>   The thing about new media is that text informations should
> be short and precise, the long stories should be printed.

  I disagree.  I'm a heavy reader, and it costs me much more to
buy printed matter than to read stuff on my computer.  In any
case, you can always print it out yourself, or just skip it.

>   I just can't use computer as a book, my eyes get sore. It's
> a multimedia machine.

  This happens to many people, but not everyone!  I spend 2-3
hours a day reading text on my computer, and almost never have
that problem.  Here are some hints:

  Use text (DOS) mode, not graphic (Windows) mode.

  Increase the resolution.  Most PCs come set for 400 lines in
text mode, but they can do much better.  600 lines is about
right for a 15-inch monitor.

  Find a better color combo than black and white.  I use
lemon-yellow text on a dark blue background.

  I use a free program called SVGATextMode to accomplish the
above adjustments.  I run it under the Linux operating system,
but a DOS version is available also -- here's the URL:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/utils/console/SVGATextMode-1.5-dos.tar.gz

Will French  <wfrench@interport.net>
---