Joerg Heiser on Tue, 22 Jul 1997 14:37:52 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Paul Garrin on bandwidth

Geert Lovink wrote:

> Telephone interview with Paul Garrin
> We Want Bandwidth!
> By Geert Lovink
>
> 12. of July 1997 -
> at Hybrid Workspace Documenta X, Orangerie, Kassel

> GL: The question was, I can imagine that we could do something like
> name.space, could we even make a jump and start a kind of autonomous
> and go to that very hard level of providing bandwidth ourselves
> or even owning it.
>
> PG: Well, this is always a question of scale, scale is a question of
> money, if it turns up that we end up making money in the billions,
> sure we can lay fibre, and buy up satellite links. I wouldn't say
> that this is in our 2 year plan, but I wouldn't rule it out either.
> In fact I am known for my capacity for reinvesting resources
> and therefore if we do make that amount of money I am not that kind
> of person that buys fancy clothes and a Porsche and moves to a house
> in the country, I would put that into infrastructure.

Dear Geert, dear Paul Garrin,
yes, nice move, the name.space idea.

But please talk more precise about
- who of us is part of the "we" in alternative/"autonomous" projects of
owning fibre, satellite links etc.
- what form of (economic,political) organisation/powerstructure you talk
of when you say "autonomous". Co-ops? Syndicates? Bandwidth-NGOs? Inc.s?
Oligarchy?

And: do we want our future Richard Bransons rejecting fancy clothes and
penitentially walk in humble rags?

We Want Porsche
---joerg heiser
---