Boris Groendahl on Tue, 22 Jul 1997 22:57:26 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Frequently Asked Questions about Bandwidth

Eric,

>Internet network backbones are owned by the large telecom operators. There
>is a continuous process of the concentration of power. The largest Internet
>connectivity provider of the world, UUNet Technologies, owns most of the
>infrastructure of Europe: EUnet. National EUnet-subsidiaries like EUnet
>Germany have been bought in the last years by UUNET. UUNET is based in
>Virginia, USA, 40% of its stock capital is owned by Microsoft corporation.

Do you have any proof for the claim that MS owns 40% of UUNet? afaik,
UUNet merged with WorldCom, Inc. and now acts as its subsidiary, but I
didn't find any information about who are WorldCom's shareholders.

Boris.

------  Boris Groendahl
------  Texte Und Konzepte Fuer Medien

---