Steven Carlson on Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:55:32 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> context please!

Dear Nettime -

As much as I appreciate many of the texts I've seen on this list, there's
one element I've been very sorely lacking lately: context.

I was inspired to write this by Geert's interview with Marc Chemillier.
Call me ignorant, if you like, but I have no idea who Marc is, and I have
never heard of the Sans Papiers Movement. I read about a page of the
material and found no background information about Marc, his project, and
why I should care. My immediate response: *delete*.

I consider myself relatively well informed, and because of this I have
learned to be selective about the info I consume. I'm sure I'm not unique.
I like nettime because a good percentage of the posted material is
interesting to me.

That doesn't mean I'm already familiar with every personality interviewed
over nettime, or every project under discussion. I'm probably not. I've
come to nettime to learn. And that means I often need a little
introduction, a bit of background, in other words, some context.

And that's my bit of net criticism for the day. Thanks.

Steven Carlson