Matthew Smith on Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:49:19 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> pgmedia hype

hi

it strikes me as somewhat strange that the only ppl reacting 2 the
massive pgmedia hype seem 2 be ted & gordon...

Paul Garrins hardcore promotion seems 2 appeal to many nettimers due 2
its vague promises of "art/culture/alternative support" -  as soon as
name.space makes some serious money.

here is where the first question arises:

what makes Paul Garrin elaborations on a alternative &
not-only-for-profit network credible for even the much appraised,
well balanced Geert Lovink? (not even he really hooked onto the issue in his
relatively recent interview with Mr.Garrin)

as far as im concerned, pgmedia & name.space r a fully commercial outfit
with as much as "an attitude"...

which leads 2 what was pointed out earlier - investors will not
touch a firm that invests its profit in non-profit ventures.
and apparently it isnt going so well with all these commercial clients who r
supposed 2 feed the cultural activities which will then prosper in a
healthy, free & competitive network - otherwise Mr.Garrin would not be so
desperate and try to hustle the nettimers & other "alternative" netizens 2
send him some money.
on the other hand, i have no problem with name.space taking off & roughing up
the Big Boys in the game...maybe when the next payment 4 our domains
(firstfloor.org & enemy.org) comes in, name.space will recieve our ca$h -
if its still around;-)

matt

лллллллллл\     				   /ллл/
лллIллллл\ \           	                  ______ /л   /