Gordon Cook on Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:33:46 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Cook: Get A Life!

It looks like I am asking Garrin questions for which he has no answers.

His supporters might do well to ponder why he has the tantrum below rather
than answer the following which i posted several hours ago but have not
yet seen reflected back from the list.

here they are again (is there a limit to posts within an x hour period?)

pauls latest tantrum about my pissing in my pants says worlds about the
level of his intellectuall discourse and his respect or lack there of for
members of this this.

I invite paul to explain operationally how his servers are any different
from those of eDNS or Alternic's.   If your domain name belongs to any of
these rougue services, you are quite simply invsible to more than 99% of
the internet.

If you have seen what follows i apologize.
If you haven't here is what i assume is causing pauls most recent
outbursts.

Paul Garrin makes the following unsubstantiated claims: Given the fact
that selling content on the web is not a feasable strategy, especially
with non-commercial content that we tend to generate, the economic
potential of Name.Space became the most viable strategy--as opposed to
selling ads on nettime--or worse...and a realistic one.  And it is
realized. People like it a lot and are using it.

Cook: Really? Let's look at what it is that they are using. What benefits
are they deriving from it? Can I enter a name.space name and expect to see
it resolved any where beyond the .1% of name servers in your pirate
network? That is the REALITY you presently face.A minute self referential
community reachable only by other community members.

Garrin: It just now needs to be globally recognized and more people will
join as they see the new addresses in use.

Cook: no kidding -- why not be honest about what it will take to be
globally recognized?   You have going against you the US Government and
the internet society, and WIPO, and ITU, and the world trademark
organization. And because your intentions are pure their positions will
collapse.

Garrin: The infrastructure is in place now and is fully functional.
there are 13 nameservers running on 9 routes in 5 countries
with Poland, Sweden and Latvia to join in the next 6-8 weeks.

Cook: tell the truth and admit that such infrastructure guarantees an
address that is unreachable by 99.9% of the internet. Why? Because
name.space is not now and never will be in the root name servers. Since
this is the case, if someone wants to help the arts or the electronic arts
in particular, such a person is much better advised to send a contribution
DIRECTLY to an arts organization rather than to you for an electronic
bumper sticker that can work only in a tiny self referential community.
I assume people here are interested in being able to reach the entire
internet with their domain name?

Garrin:  Name.Space has prevailed in gaining wide acceptance of a
decentralized, public domain (international) toplevel namespace.  The over
400 top level categories carried on the name.space system were suggested
by the public via the form on the name.space website.

Cook: we have here another unsubstantiated assertion of the previous
variety. You never did answer my original question Paul -- namely what
basis you had for asserting that comments favorable to name.space were a
major proportion of the replies received by the NOI. And now again you
assert wide acceptance defined as 400 categories thought up by 40 million
internet users.
The COOK Report on Internet               For subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA     ten megabytes of free material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              visit   http://cookreport.com/
Internet: cook@cookreport.com             New Special Report: Internet
Governance at the Crossroads ($175)  http://cookreport.com/inetgov.shtml

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, MediaFilter wrote:

> Cook,
>
> You are clueless.
> And obviously, you havn't done your homework.
>
> you get an F!
>
> now go sit in the corner and shut up.
>

> ---
> #  distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission
> #  <nettime> is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
> #  more info: majordomo@icf.de and "info nettime" in the msg body

---