Jon C. Ippolito on Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:24:51 +0100 (MET)

<nettime> 'ada boy, ada'web

I'm perplexed by the vehement criticisms on nettime of adaweb's
dependence on corporate sponsorship. This may be because I have been
beholden, in my career as an artist, to certain influences that I should
probably confess at the outset:

* I have been known to eat food, which I did not grow or prepare myself,
supplied in a can or other receptacle bearing the commercial logo of an
American corporation.

* I have been known to wear clothing that I did not stitch together
myself and that in fact contained a promotional label sewn inside the
collar (at least as visible as the tiny phrase "digital city" in 6-point
type tucked inside an unscrolled frame on the adaweb home page).

* I have a day job at a big art museum (gasp!), and have even been known
to use my paltry salary from this job to buy art supplies.

* I have been known to send messages to others using a computer--a
device that wouldn't exist without a history of research funding from
the military-industrial complex.

I guess I don't see the real issue as sponsorship versus independence.
Good art is almost always ahead of the rest of culture, so I'm not
surprised when the rest of culture doesn't understand it, approve it, or
pay for it. I think the real issue is what you as a curator or artist
manage to get away with given the constraints you choose to work with.
By accepting Julius II's patronage, Michelangelo accepted some pretty
considerable constraints. After all, Michelangelo didn't choose to work
on a curved ceiling full of architectural encumbrances; it's just that
all of the good walls in the Sistine chapel were already taken. Within
those constraints, he still managed to pull off a compositional feat
without equal--and in the process to sneak some very undoctrinaire
representations of sexuality under (or was it over?) the Pope's nose.

Adaweb's accomplishments may not be on as heroic a scale, and it's
certainly time we investigated new models of patronage. But to compare
adaweb's projects to Absolute Vodka ads is to ignore the fact that what
adaweb got out of Digital City is a lot more important in the long run
than what Digital City got out of adaweb.  It is adaweb's art--not its
patron--that will stick in my mind long after the site is archived.

Jon Ippolito
www.three.org

---