michael.benson on Thu, 9 Apr 1998 04:46:12 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> interactivity, cave variant

Hmm yes, interactivity. At the top of my "pegasus mail" window is a
small winged horse; when I click on it I have the option to Restore,
Minimize or Close. In 30,000 year old cave paintings discovered
as recently as 1994 in France (the cave was named Chauvet,
after its discoverer), four horse-heads can be seen. There's
something very kinetic and even contemporary about the
rendering of the animals in this cave. They are gestural and look
like pastel works on brown paper. There is a real success in
depicting form, volume, motion, incident (two bulls ramming heads
together, for example). Why were the horses, and the lions, and the
buffalo, in this cave rendered? Was there a need behind the
rendering, something that could be approximated by the menu list
Restore, Minimize or Close? It's hard to say, but with a little
enlargement, I dare say the vanished artist(s) would have little
trouble recognizing the horse icon in the upper left corner of the
screen. Even if everything surrounding that image was a complete
blinking mystery.

Was there an implicit command logic behind the cave paintings? A
desire to make the animals follow orders, so to speak, or go down
pathways chosen by the artist? Or was it a need to receive something
back from the animals depicted?

Now, interactivity. Branching pathways, multiple choices, the
gathering of knowledge in ideosyncratic, self-steered ways. Having
opened up a new terrain, i.e. the net, there's even now still a sense
of an open horizon, though not really of danger. The last just _may_
be the only thing unique to the cave painters, though, it seems to
me.  Otherwise, the tools of their rendering are different, yes. The
light shining on their work is more -- elemental -- yes. But the
representation of a type of understanding, in the form of -- well, a
form, a _type_ of language, if not a _typed_ language -- and even the
freedom to make that form in an idiosyncratic way appear to be the
same then as now, or maybe even weighted in favor of thecave
dwellers. The stone wall is a screen. The image is handmade, but no
less an "icon". The possibility of changing the rendering seems to
have been immediate and direct. Communication didn't speak through
this stone wall from the other side of the planet -- or even the
valley -- true enough. At least not directly. But it filtered through
remembered visual stimuli and maybe comparison with the work of the
master in the next cave. An individual who, seeing what was
on-screen in this one, may have had the option of adding figures, or
retreating back to the next cave to make more figures. Or
even deciding to give up on figures altogether and put some food on
the table.

But the key is the abstraction of the image; it's not a shadow
of a physical body, or a fossil of a physical body: it's a
_representation_ of a physical body. In effect, bits, not
atoms. And what's more, it was projected down through those
300 centuries. How? Through the skill of the artist. Undeniably. So
the leap was made at the beginning, and the operating system was the
mind.

But I keep on coming back to the menu options. Was there a desire to
Restore (resurrect?) Minimize (scare off?) or Close (kill?)? Or was
there another motive altogether? How interactive, in other words?
Hmm.

Michael Benson

michael.benson@pristop.si
website: http://lois.kud-fp.si/kinetikon/