Lev Manovich on Mon, 1 Jun 1998 23:04:09 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> COMPUTING CULTURE Symposium: Concept an Program Notes

COMPUTING CULTURE Symposium
http://jupiter.ucsd.edu/~culture/symposium.html

SYMPOSIUM CONCEPT

        New media requires a new critical language -- to describe it, to
analyze it and to teach it. Where shall this language come from? We can't
go on simply using technical terms such as "a web site" to refer to works
radically different from each other in intention and form. At the same
time, traditional cultural concepts and forms prove to be inadequate as
well. Image and viewer, narrative and montage, illusion and representation,
space and time -- everything needs to be re-defined again.
        The goal of our symposium is to explore new conceptual categories
appropriate for analyzing computer culture and its objects. We focus on
four categories:  DATABASE, INTERFACE, SPATIALISATION, and NAVIGATION. Each
of these categories provides a different lens through which to inquire
about the emerging logic, grammar and poetics of new media; each brings
with it a set of different questions.
        DATABASE. After the novel and later cinema privileged narrative as
the key form of cultural expression of the modern age, the computer age
brings with it a new  form -- database. What are the origins, ideology and
possible aesthetics of a database? How can we negotiate between a narrative
and a database? Why is database imagination taking over at the end of the
20th century?
        INTERFACE. In contrast to a film which is projected upon a blank
screen and a painting which begins with a white surface,  new media objects
always exist within a larger context of a human-computer interface. How
does a user's familiarity with the computer's interface structure the
reception of new media art? Where does interface end and the "content"
begin?
        SPATIALISATION. The overall trend of computer culture is to
spatialise all representations and experiences. The library is replaced by
cyberspace; narrative is equated with traveling through space ("Myst"); all
kinds of data are rendered in three dimensions through computer
visualization. Why is space being privileged? Shall we try to oppose this
spatialisation (i.e., what about time in new media)? What are the different
kinds of spaces possible in new media?
        NAVIGATION. We no longer only look at images or read texts;
instead, we navigate through new media spaces. How can we relate the
concept of navigation to more traditional categories such as viewing,
reading, and identifying? In what ways do current popular navigation
strategies reflect military origins of computer imaging technology? How do
we de-militarize our interaction with a computer? How can we describe the
person doing the navigation beyond the familiar metaphors of "user" and
"flaneur"?
        During the symposium we will interrogate these categories and use
them to map out two key genres of computer culture. That is, creating works
in new media can be understood as either constructing the right interface
to a multimedia database or as defining navigation methods through
spatialised representations.
        Why does computer culture privilege these genres over other
possibilities? We may associate the first genre with work (post-industrial
labor of information processing) and the second with leisure and fun
(computer games), yet this very distinction is no longer valid in computer
culture. Increasingly, the same metaphors and interfaces are used at work
and at home, for business and for entertainment. For instance, the user
navigates through a virtual space both to work and to play, whether
analyzing financial data or killing enemies in "Doom."
        To articulate the critical language of new media we need to
correlate older cultural/theoretical concepts and the concepts which
describe the organization/operation of a digital computer. INTERFACE,
DATABASE, NAVIGATION and SPATIALISATION: are these the categories that
bridge the gap between more traditional genres and the evolving forms of
new media?

http://jupiter.ucsd.edu/~culture/symposium.html