tbyfield on Mon, 8 Jun 1998 23:20:10 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> the Fifth Horseman of the Infocalypse: Burger King

[Original from David G.W. Birch <daveb@hyperion.co.uk> to e$@vmeng.com.-T]

Hi,

At last: for the first time in months something interesting has happened
in the world of electronic cash.

For anyone that's interested, Burger King are going to be issuing Mondex
cards that store Burger King points as well as US Dollars...

I'll see if I can get a copy of the official press release to post. In
the meantime, here's a few key points from the American Banker coverage...

Mondex USA and Burger King Corp. are set to launch their joint smart card
test today east of New York City.

For the first time, a retailer will distribute Mondex cards and allow for
reloading of value on their chips.

The cobranded cards will also be the first in the country combining
Mondex electronic cash with a retailer's loyalty point system.

The test is scheduled to run six months at four locations in the Long
Island suburbs of East Meadow, Garden City, and Westbury.
---