mf@mediafilter.org (by way of nettime's digestive system ) on Mon, 22 Jun 1998 01:06:07 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> 2 messages: US Agencies, Net Privacy, US Domain Future Developments

[Assorted cruft--re-re-forwarded trailings, mime boundaries, geek
 headers, duplicate mailing-list footers, etc.--have been cleaned
 out for your reading pleasure and for archival purposes ("<...>"
 indicates where); in a few spots runover lines were tidied up as
 well. This is all very standard procedure, as is cleaning up bad
 control characters and so on (the "=20" rubbish you occasionally
 see). Yet another fine service brought to you by nettime. --T]

>Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:12:43 -0400
>From: Eric Weisberg <weisberg@texoma.net>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <com-priv@lists.psi.com>
>Subject: [Fwd: [ispc-list] US Domain Future Developments (fwd)]
 <...>
>This is one of the most significant and frightening posts I have seen.
>I trust this will be thoroughly discussed and dealt with in spite of
>other pressing business.
 <...>
>From: "Bruce Koehler" <winnt@flash.net>
>To: <ispc-list@ispc.org>
>Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 10:44:59 -0400
 <...>

>The USPS is a not-for-profit corporate agency of the US government that
>Congress has oversight with.  Both the FBI and NSA have direct working
>relationships with this agency.  In other countries, such as Britain and
>Germany, the Government Post Office also runs the Telecommunications within
>that country.  Within those countries, their intelligence agencies monitor
>and target specific users "at will."  This means that if just one individual
>at the intelligence agency wants to 'listen in' on your e-traffic
>(legitimately or illegitimately), they can and do.  The Intelligence
>Oversight Program prevents the storage of communications between US persons
>only within the United States or where both parties are KNOWN US citizens,
>where one is within the US and the other is outside.  It does NOT prevent
>(and I speak from experience) the 'casual monitoring' of US citizens.
>
>With the USPS involved and all the implications on "private communications'
>this will have a chilling affect on the individual users = and hence the
>customer-base for business and e-commerce.
>
>Can you imagine the NSA & CIA monitoring your stuff and passing it on to the
>IRS, INS, FBI, and others? Though I am not personally concerned, it is the
>Principle of Freedom that truly concerns me.  I didn't spend 20 years in the
>military in defending the Constitution, to have it trampled by bureaucrats
>doing what, in any other scenario, would make perfect sense.  This can and
>WILL lead to a direct invasion of privacy.  This MUST be stopped!
>
>Bruce Koehler, Owner
>The Koehl=Mine Computer Consulting
>winnt@flash.net
>http://www.flash.net/~winnt/TKM/index.html
 <...>
>From: Aaron Sawchuk <asawchuk@dreamcom.net>
>To: ispc-list@ispc.org <ispc-list@ispc.org>
>Date: Friday, June 19, 1998 11:03 PM
>Subject: [ispc-list] US Domain Future Developments (fwd)
>

>>This is interesting...
 <...>
>>Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Jon Postel <postel@ISI.EDU>
>>To: us-dom-adm@ISI.EDU
>>Subject: US Domain Future Developments
 <...>

> [...]
>>though pre-contract paper work has been exchanged.
>>
>>I believe that in the long run nearly all the country codes will have
>>some government influence acting on their management.  Within the US,
>>the USPS is a very unusualy thing in that it is not officially part of
>>the government but an independent non-for-profit corporation, yet
>>closely supervised by the government.  If the US Government told the
>>IANA to allocate the US domain to some agency or another there could be
>>a lot of worse choices.
>>
>>The USPS is trying to think of ways to provide additional services
>>through the the US domain.  They've asked me to review some of these
>>and there may be some ideas they haven't told me about yet.
>>
>>One of the discussions is about ways to add branches to the US domain
>>to make more desirable to businesses to use names in the US domain.
>>
>>Another idea is that everyone with an address that the USPS can deliver
>>physical mail to could automatically have an email address in the US
>>domain.  I think this idea still needs a lot of work to understand all
>>the implications both technically and socially.
>>
>>No one expresed any desire to keep any of this secret, on the other
>>hand no one felt things had progressed to the point that a public
>>announcement or press release was warranted.
>>
>>There may be internal confidential memos about proposed ideas that are
>>still being debated within the USPS, and i wouldn't know about that.
>>
>>In managing the postal system the USPS is a very significant user of
>>Internet technology.  The following is a brief description of some of
>>their Internet capability.
>>
>> The Postal Service currently manages a large information
>> systems network.  he USPS manages a class A license for IP
>> addresses (56.X.X.X). Within the internal USPS network are 15
>> autonomous systems, with 16 areas each, which provide service
>> to up to 34,000 local area networks. When fully deployed, the
>> USPS internal network will provide TCP/IP connectivity to over
>> 150,000 individual networked devices. Within the usps.gov
>> second level domain, the SPS has one primary and sixteen
>> secondary domain name servers which currently handle over
>> 125,000 individual host names. Because of the high bandwidth
>> demands of the digital image traffic used in mail sorting, USPS
>> networks have a total capacity equivalent to over 700 T1 lines.
>> Firewalls between the USPS intranet and the public Internet
>> handle 1.5 million transactions per day at a peak rate of
>> 140,000 transactions per hour, exchanging 14 GB of data in the
>> form of web pages and files. In addition, the USPS, as a
>> non-profit government enterprise, is able to obtain the best
>> technical expertise available from private industry through
>> consulting and contracting arrangements. The USPS
>> organizational structure and supplier ourcing agreements
>> currently in place can provide services within the existing .us
>> TLD, and will scale readily to handle any growth in future

 <...>