000000 on Mon, 28 Sep 1998 05:49:11 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> 0RD3R (2 of 2)

just mentioned.)  Currently, a guarantee of one fixed seat is unsatisfactory.
Just trying to plan my evening.
Just two weeks before the U.S. government is set to relinquish its
keep certain aspects of communication private should be of vital concern to
keep Newco out of disputes over content control.  On the other hand, free
Klein spelled out the CPSR position on all this,
known to all.
knows is imperative on political AND ethical AND practical grounds),
Laboratories scientist who is currently working on technology such as
large companies (Press Release, 1 May 1997).  Computer Professionals for
law professor a Syracuse University and Hans Klein, an
lawyer for the NSF, Assistant US attorney Steven Haber succeeded in
least 3 members [of 15] who represent the 'Internet Community' at large ...
legacy IPv4-based Internet there will NOT be any new
less letter than the 'State' [TLD] in an internet address, and seem to be
less letter than the 'State' [TLD] in an internet address, and seem to be
less significant  (asymptotically approaching zero in the hypothetical case
Let a truly open and neutral forum commence!
level domains (gTLDs) to the root, which NSI refused to do, saying
level of privacy. I suggest you read the 1995 Supreme Court of the US
level of privacy. I suggest you read the 1995 Supreme Court of the US
level the playing field for rich and poor Board members.  Allowable expenses
Liberation, Le Monde . . .) have expressed a keen interest in the issue.
lies the dns name space.  Did I wantthank you for your opinion.Sorry to be
a pain guys & add to the data smog but can I assume the following:
Like I said, I felt that this call to action was the most important product
limit the influence wealthy groups to "buy" or at least influence elections.
List members, are there more reasons why new TLDs ARE or ARE NOT
litigation down the road. (in my humble opinion- see below point). If I
location will be given.
Location: All proposals foresee the corporation being incorporated in Los
long as there is a panel, or on a future date.  It is the
long-lasting effect on the world, its people, and its economy(s) falls
Looking forward to your reply.
Los Angeles Times
lost the rights to a particular domain name or how there should
Magaziner has explicitly called for such a development. How difficult
majordomo@lists.xs2.net, with the words "subscribe dns.forum"
majority of Congress current supports campaign finance reform that would
make them understandable, and I critique them on the basis of the values
makes the Internet possible.
manage the DNS root servers signed between the NSI and NSF in 1993 and
Manhattan
Manhattan Wednesday evening, that was supposed to be debating
Manishin responded at the end of the session that lasted just over two
Manishin to be not the case and not the law...as stated in pgMedia/Name.Space's
Manishin's move was the first the lawyers for NSI and NSF had heard
Manishin's presentation to the court had an "Alice in Wonderland,"
many persist in denying but which nevertheless forms a part of the basis
many stakeholders seem to think) the At-Large Board members will represent
MARCY GORDON, CPSR
Marty Burack, executive director of the Internet Society, a Reston,
may well be possible.
May. They were not seeking any relief yesterday, either monetary or in
means ending all those nice domain names like 'get.it', 'just.do.it' and
mechanisms to have the domain name transferred to my organization.  If I
mechanisms to have the domain name transferred to my organization.  If I
Meeting place:
members by reserving Board seats for three Supporting Organizations, the
members, leaving only the 9 At-Large Directors elected by the membership.
members.  For Newco a bigger number, say 30, could be appropriate.
membership remains undefined and is perhaps problematic.)  If we think of
Membership representation is not explicitly defined, but is expected to be
Michael Sondow, and the subsequent withdrawal of support by Cooper
Milton Mueller of Syracuse University spoke on free speech, trademarks, and
MILTON MUELLER, Syracuse Univ
modifications when it has become unclear to WHOM we are making these
Monday July 20 was not a good day for NSI and NSF.
Money plays a big part in governance.  To prevent abusive taxation, the U.S.
monopoly or spurs competition, and do so in an even handed non-partisan
Monopoly stifles innovation.  Competition sparks innovation.
months.
more "outsiders" or end users.  There will be 9 At-Large Directors.  (The
Motion for Summary Judgement
motion, that of its request for a stay, based on the "anticipation of
moved forward much, despite the best efforts of Milton Mueller,
Mr. Sondow, for inexplicable reasons, perhaps suffering
Mueller urged those present to accept the revised draft drawn
My concerns _against_ the new TLDs:
mybusiness.biz, either.
mybusiness.biz, either. (Note: I am not a laywer)
name server," although we have not seen a copy of the letter and
Name System, Haber fumbled through his documents and finally admitted,
Name.Space were submitted by regular net users from around
names (of any importance) end in .COM, OK ? Let's
naming system.
NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION ADMITS IT DOES NOT OWN THE ROOT
need for the market. I think that UN funding is appropriate, but I'm scared
need to join together to finalize this public interest/user proposal.  If
needed for start-up could be substantial.  Currently some particularly
negotiations between those two entities through the dissolution of the
Net due to on-going discussions among a few self-interested
Network Solutions and the IANA had previously been at odds over the
networking infrastructure and research division director George Strawn
new corporation ("Newco.") These three proposals are "IANA-NSI" (the August
new gTLDs and IANA had in fact told NSI that it - IANA - did not in
new hall will be given out in front of Great Hall (and will be posted here
New York Free Media Alliance
Newco proposals also have different categories for representation.
Newco's Board of Directors can be compared to the Congress of the United
Newco's charter.  Thus "every portion of every meeting of every [Newco
Newco?  Like COMSAT, should it be 20%? Or is the Internet more of a
newspaper-reading citizens.  The governance functions considered below
Next you're going to be claiming that "the dumb postal workers can never
 Next you're going to be claiming that "the dumb postal workers can never
nine seats.  Were the Board to expand, however, those 6 seats would become
nity for a plan for a non-profit entity to run the DNS. Mueller
NO ANTITRUST IMMUNITY FOR NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
no great loss that Mr. Sondow has disassociated himself from
nomination and veto of interim board members. This is perhaps the most
non-negotiable commitment to non-interference in communications might help
non-profit entity, it will no longer be relevant. However, it should
Nostradamus in question was saying there WOULD be new TLDs by january of
not abridge, most notably the First Amendment right to free speech.  As a
not add new gTLDs does not constitute a violation of the First
not an absolute prerequisite for Board service, a set-up that makes it
not misdirect the issue with bold predictions, spin, and suggestions of how
now.  When could we expect to see some running code?
Now...let's look at what we have...
NSI and that such a directive immunizes NSI from antitrust laws.
NSI attorneys Phil Sbarbaro and Bill Dallas didn't look too pleased...
NSI has done a fine job managing the domain name database.  The political
NSI or the NSF yesterday and so seems they are highly unlikely to
NSI's attempt to extend upon themselves the "federal instrumentalities"
number and address with respect to your domain name and does boo-f-all to
number and address with respect to your domain name and does boo-f-all to
number to ensure diversity.
Numeric IP addresses would suffice, since "everyone uses ^K to copy it"
NY, JULY 22, 1998 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
objections are and why.
observer to the unavoidable and depressing conclusion that a critical
October 1, I am sure that what appears as confusion to the uninitiated
Odds and Ends
of an infinite Board.) Ultimately, greater geographic concentration might
of At-Large members and SO-based members could be reserved for industry and
Of course the first one is really WWW.IBM.NETOBJECTS.COM
of Defense, this chain of title remains in effect still.  The handing off
of DNS issues.   We had a good-sized audience of about 50 people, four out
of five panelists, and the use of first-class facilities at the New School.
of functions, is in direct opposition to the interests of "the People",
of my own
of networks mixed with an understanding of human systems (linguistics,
of new tlds will in no way affect the use of any legacy
of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions
of support is in order to assure that an open, neutral event
of the bureaucracy that will probably involve. (And the fact that the US
of the forum.   But there was lots of other interesting dialogue.
of the issue to be represented even handedly and completely, and not to
of the new central Internet authority? How can we affect the coming
of the SOs' role, indicates that the people behind this organization
of the three proposals. The Boston Group's emphasis on users/members goes in
of these functions, not with the ownership of them so as
official CPSR proposal on all the positions mentioned does not yet exist.
Oh yes it does. In case you don't know, Internic publishes your phone
 Oh yes it does. In case you don't know, Internic publishes your phone
On a 9-member Board, that means that no region could have more than 4 of
On a related note, how many people are even ON this mailing list?
on Newco business.  Campaign spending could also be limited.  An upper
on preference for new TLDs with realtime update capabilities.
on the right side of the domain name ?...everyone knows
on their behalf.
on-going one and we would be glad to discuss how our online voting
On-Line Learning Series of Courses for October now available:
One allowable expense for Newco is to pay the costs that Directors incur
one fifth of the board seats were reserved for appointees of
One option that I think we need to consider at this point is a stark
OOOOPs....wait a minute...hold the phone...
OPEN COMPETITION OR MONOPOLY CONTROL?
operations and day to day management of new tlds, and judging
operator please?) and do so for each language existing.
or "war.free.zone", in a commercial sense as in "cars-for.sale" and in
or .net..." that's good enough according to Haber who added that the toplevel
or all non-profits combined or all of Europe combined.  On a larger Board
or was it just another convenient omission of fact?  It also appeared that
             Oral arguments on
organization and funding of it should not create financial
organizational anarchy among the most prominent actors in the present
Organizations and the President -- will attain too much influence.  To
organize a DNSO. Taking this step when the articles and bylaws
others?  Interestingly, EFF proposes exactly the same thing.  EFF has not
Otherwise, Dallas said the judge "you would become the internet czar,"
out how this relates to the issues of free speech, public access, and
out the antitrust immunity (or lack of) and the First Amendment issue.
panelists who specialize in the Internet, telecommunications, free
parody as in "microsoft.bites".  "Domain Names are the 'headlines of the
  Part of the reason for this desire to build a market for domain names
part of the so- called "leadership" of the existing Internet simply
participants questioned the very act of privatization.  Ronda Hauben argued
participating in the White Paper process.  Even those stakeholders concerned
Patterson asked US Attorney Steve Haber to cite the section of the contract
Paul
Paul Garrin
PAUL GARRIN, pgMedia
paying high prices for IP allocations from organizations that have
people believe that unless the old boys network is in charge, things will
people not machines. Private domain name servers can and will offer this
people not machines. Private domain name servers can and will offer this
perfect example of what I talked about in my last message, and I quote:
pgMedia president Paul Garrin was optimistic yesterday: "I think the
pgMedia's lawyer, Glenn Manishin - who has actually represented NSI in
pgMedia/Name.Space on the horizon should they lose on their claim of
pgMedia/Name.Space v. NSI/NSF
pgMedia/Name.Space, Glenn Manishin and Gary Cohen were well prepared and
place...the need for standard currencies in the U.S., the need for standard
playing with on the authority issue...IANA<-NSI<-NSF<-IANA<-DoD
Please call Jay Iselin, President of CU at 212.353.4240,
Please consider the following advice for future messages
Please do just remind us how we can watch/participate on line...
Please have a look:
Please keep an eye on this list, and if there are questions or
Please keep responses on topic and politically responsible, and please make
Please let me know what the possibilities are.
please send them to the list and they will be picked up by the
plus a few million more...
points I make, and bolster ONLY his case that there should be new TLDs.
points. He did not explain why you do not allow dissenting votes.  He tried
policy (most recently stated in June white paper) is "played out."
policy positions -- which she sang and accompanied on guitar!  (I thought it
political solution (the expedient solution) not the right solution, which
popular .nu domain (eg 'feestje.nu' which means 'party now' in dutch :-)
population (e.g., ISPs, end users, public interest groups, registries,
position as the "federal instrumentality doctrine," and the NSF's
position on the interim board.
power.
powerful conclusion.  I think that some day we will look back and recognize
practicality, by the absolute cluelessness of the political powers who live
Pre-existing contracts: The IANA-NSI proposal contained a controversial
precedent is Comsat, which when it was established in the 1960s,
preparation, and that its consequences were unpredictable to those
prepare to speak out together on September 30.
present behavior.
present slanted views as fact, especially in such a forum as this.
president/top officer of Newco will also be on the Board, so we get
prevent this the Boston Group's proposal eliminates those 9+1 insider Board
private entity Newco would not be as strictly constrained by the First
procedures for a high degree of transparency.  EFF included the most
process of law, creating order from chaos.  This is the sort of leadership
Professional for Social Responsibility (CPSR), which stepped in
professional is AGAINST the new proposed TLDs-- irrespective of whatever
proposal communication rights would be even stronger than under the current
proposals for functional representation give considerable power to
Proposals, 30 June 1998).  These suggestions are not incorporated into any
proposals, and whether or not whoever it is is even listening. We must
prosecution or that pgMedia's First Amendment right have been
protect privacy. Privacy in this instance is a business function. Maybe
 protect privacy. Privacy in this instance is a business function. Maybe
protecting the lines of communication, or at least, permitting someone to
provision could favor wealthier individuals and members who can expend
provision that would bind Newco to pre-existing contracts.  The EFF proposal
PS: [I know the topic of new TLDs is only one of the issues the dns.forum
public and private institutions.
public business from being conducted in secrecy.  Newco proposals differ in
public interest forum before Sept. 30, and it features many of the leading
public interest players.
public interest recommendations are incorporated into proposed by-laws on
public interest/user propopal are now also in the works.
public process and respond in a formal, organized, public way to
publicly available within one day."  In this way Newco's activities are
Putting my money where my mouth is, I'll present this very clearly and
quality to it, because, in his opinion, the real question is "who's in
questions are going to be finally resolved, who is going to resolve
raises questions about his willingness to even seriously address or listen
random sampling of opinions of users of this list is irrelevant except as
rapidly
re forgetting the whole international issue. While for you .com may* 1st
and foremost, confuse + PGMEDIA/NAME.SPACE BRINGS NSI/NSF ANTITRUST CASE TO
A HEAD  My understanding of what Jon Postel/IANA and the IETF want is
exactly
re is one of those complex situations. RIPE is a group based "mostly"
Reading them over, I am appalled. I would happily stand correction,
ready for primetime.  However, the issue of Net governance is an
really have a claim to mybusiness.com, I can currently use existing legal
really have a claim to mybusiness.com, I can currently use existing legal
reason many states, notably California, have "sunshine laws" that prevent
Reconciling them into one set of by-laws that can garner consensual support
red blood cells, flowing through the body or system of systems.)
regards the long term, not the short. In the short term, and well beyond
regards,
regards,
region like North America will not control two-thirds of the Board.
Register as a teritary of someone that does. I.e. ml.org.
relationships between those organizations, as expressed and analysed by
relevant to this discussion either.
represent "all major groups on the Internet, including individuals, small
Representation
representation and the associated problem of membership.  IANA-NSI and EFF's
representation, they endorse a lower limit, which would guarantee that the
representation.  Instead of setting an upper limit on any one region's
representative any particularly group that deserves extra influence, so a
representatives accountable to the American people (these Board members were
represents those who are governed.  Representation in the US government is
RESEARCH/PARSONS SCHOOL OF DESIGN, SWAYDUCK AUDITORIUM
reserved for representatives from different localities,) and 2) size
respective company stockholders.  What percentages could be reserved on
return.)
Review of Hearing (Editorial):
Rights
Rober Hawks, VP of CU, 212.353.4150,
Rome, IN and Rome WI.
Rome, IN and Rome WI.
s/sulDea
said that it was unacceptable to have the two government
said the CPSR supports the idea of a membership-based
same thing, Patterson looked surprised: "one man has this much power?"
screwed things up. We had a local politician that had an election web site
seats, 13 out of 30).  Alternatively, were the Board size to be fixed,
see, they are all adopt the language proposed by IANA-NSI.  Concerning fees
Self-government plan for Internet is proposed
Senior Server Engineer, NetObjects.com
September 30, then the communities should all vocally express their
servers!  Just prior, US Attorney Steve Haber (NSF) spent 40 minutes
shape the policies that will govern domain name registration and the
should get behind the Boston proposals
show the slightest commitment to an open process anymore. The most
Sincerely,
single Director may have to represent all telecommunication firms combined
single seat declines.  Instead of guaranteeing one seat to each region, the
situation to a confusion of purpose. This would be to insult them
situation where we are pitting mybusiness.com against mybusiness.biz
situation where we are pitting mybusiness.com against mybusiness.biz
size is not specified.)  quantitative changes in Board size have qualitative
So that is how IANA-NSI proposes to handle representation.  What about the
So, to summarize, when it comes to representation the choices so far are
So, what happens is that politicians, who live in an artificially
Social Responsibility (CPSR) proposed that the Board "should include at
sociology, biology, behavior, economics), and a familiarization of the
Solutions expires Sept. 30.
Some have also said that California's laws of incorporation provide fewer
some meaningless statistic to point to.
Some questions that will be addressed at the forum:
soon).  Cooper Union is no longer sponsoring this event.   See you tonight!
specific language, adapting language from the California "sunshine laws" for
speech protection may be anathema to trademark holders, who own many of the
speech".
speech, public access and privacy.  The live audience will be
spending limit might be defined, or candidates could be limited to
squarely onto their lap.  Ira Magaziner has enough chutzpah to take the
stakeholders.
start convincing software vendors that they can now hide
state with any authority what will or won't occur with respect to TLDs in
states and private firms, so they should be familiar to most
States.  Both are both the top authority for their respective "societies."
status quo should be maintained at present, while the government
Steve Cantrell <cantrell@cooper.edu
Steve Cantrell, Adult Education, Great Hall coordinator, 212.353.4197
stimulating the market (letting the genie out of the bottle which can never
structure of it is a separate issue.  Technically the DNS has been run
stumbling over his vague explainations why the NSF DOES have authority--his
subsequently re- awarded top Network Solutions Inc in 1993.
succeed with that route.
suffers from problems of representation.
suggested modifications, set the stage for a host of private,
summary judgement following a preliminary injunction request filed in
supervision and supervision means oversight plus direction, so the NSF
Support the Expanded Global Namespace--
sure you understand what I
system under a National Science Foundation contract, and the
systems can be used by a Net self-governance group as our technology and
TAKING BACK THE NET: FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND FREEDOM OF CHOICE ON-LINE
tasks are, first, to finalize a public interest/user proposal and, second,
technical and logical issues involved with new TLDs and don't see them as
technical functions of the global computer network from the
technical lawyers out of Boston), and "EFF" (the Electronic Frontier
terms of getting access to the root, it was merely a case of sorting
than does the U.S. First Amendment.  If that is the case then under the EFF
thank you for your support.
Thanks for ending all of the confusion...on the IPv4 Internet
Thanks very much for your interest.
that both industry and non-profits receive representation in sufficient
that he couldn't find it.
that improve service) is in response to the demands of the
that indirectly the public had a voce, so Klein's theory goes.
That last position, reiterated by many of the few people that
that the court (i.e. Judge Patterson) is no less capable of running
That the Forum will continue is up to the participants.
that the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) was the only
that the Internet should remain in public hands.  This is a view that few
that's not a function to you, but contrary to what it seem, upping the
that's what Judge Patterson rules, then pgMedia is free to pursue
that. I.e. let someone else deal with the political questions.
the .COM from users, just like the root level "dot" is often
The antitrust case against Network Solutions Inc (NSI) and the
the attempt to create a new non-profit organization to coordinate the
The Boston group also proposes a different mode of geographic
The Boston Group and EFF's proposed safeguards on transparency could be
the Boston Group's proposal is needed.
The by-laws could define categories for Board members, such as "for profit"
the chain of title granted under the Constitution and applied to the Dept
the COMSAT Corporation was created, 20% of its Board seats were reserved for
The Constitution of the U.S. defines a number rights that the Congress may
the consumer's choice is king.  The service that we provide
The corporation's organization would also ensure that representatives
the current Internet DNS situation and create a constituency of
the deadline for a single submission from the internet commu
The Defendants attempted to portray a complex web of contractual conditions
The Dept of Defense, under the guidance of the Constitution,A lack of
coherence clouded the DNS Forum meeting held in  Why do you care what the
TLD is? Everyone I know uses Ctrl-K to copy it
the directive was part of the five-year cooperative agreement to
the DNS that the IANA or anybody else - during Haber's presentation in
the DNS.Forum event, and persons connected to the event,
the event.  Apparently, he was upset that the credit was
The existence of the conference and it's issues are of international
The fact that the .com/.net/.edu domains were mismanaged by NSI isAs the
Internet governance stakeholder process approaches its September 30
The final by-laws might want to include funding and expense provisions that
The final problem of representation concerns sectoral equity.  If no
The first problem of representation concerns geographic equity.  The Boston
The focus of the U.S. government's representatives is on the
The following remains in effect:
The forum will not be held in Great Hall at Cooper Union.  Directions to the
The fundamental difference between the three versions is the definition of
the future.  I heard the exact same prediction in 1997, except that the
The goal of the three-pronged Forum is to educate the public about
the government and users and others interested in competition
the group itself continue to evolve.
The hearing on Monday, July 20 went well for Name.Space.  Legal Counsel for
the history of its central organizations. I can only judge events by
The IANA-NSI proposes three categories of representation: function,
the Internet and its future find a way to challenge this
the Internet.
The Judge is now fully aware of the shell game the "acronyms" are
The key is to focus on the designs, of the DNS, of the
The life (the value) is in the flow of the blood (the electrons, like the
the logic is already fucked up. Either _fix_ the logic and regulate it all
The main plank of NSI's argument is the so-called "federal
the Net for elections that will decide important issues of Net
the net speaking for itself.
the new entity should be expanded from the proposed 19 to
The original IANA-NSI proposal favored corporate confidentiality over
the other hand, a new location could help make a clean break with the past.
the past - contended that in order for Judge Robert Patterson to find
The person who has done much of the organizing deserves our thanks.
the position where their limited scientific knowledge is exposed for what
the power of the internetwork system itself.
The regulation of campaigns is intended to reinforce the principle of "one
The second problem of representation concerns diversity.  The Boston Group's
the SO's Board members as "insiders" with a financial interest in Newco (as
The sum of all of the energy moving from point to point is both
The three proposals can be understood in terms of how they achieve basic
The treasure, about which you speak, is not the Net itself, Ronda,
the U.S.
The U.S. government has an obligation to the public in the
The U.S. government was entrusted with the care and administration
The US government has set September 30 - next Wednesday - as
the US Government may have of the internet's root:
the US President, who being elected by the US people, meant
the whole process we are presenting witnessing, from the bilateral
the world, that a substantial number of internet _users_
their emphasis on transparency.
their feathers and work together in the public interest.
them any less true, just more accurate.
them, when, and what we are going to do if we are given the wrong
themselves, whose private deal, and subsequent failure to rejoin the
there are proposals on the table which advance very different concepts
there is no scramble/land grab for domain names, and no confusion about
there WILL be new tlds-
There's Las Vegas, NM, and Las Vegas, NV.
There's Las Vegas, NM, and Las Vegas, NV.
There's Rome, NY and Rome, GA, and Rome, OR and Rome IY [Italy] and Rome,
There's Rome, NY and Rome, GA, and Rome, OR and Rome IY [Italy] and Rome,
Therefore, in the transition to Newco some protections of speech could be lost.
These are Top Level Domains (TLDs), the critical part of your Internet
these essential functions from exactly the kind of
These two modes of representation are not above criticism.  Both of them
THEY CAN BE PART OF THIS HISTORIC DEBATE
this attempt at pre-emption was in fact spawned by IANA and NSI
this direction, but does not reserve a specific number of Board seats for
This is of great consumer benefit and provides a vital service when the
this process (IANA, NSI, and the remnants of the old ISOC/gTLD-MoU)
This process occurred all within an arena of implied control and
THIS RETRACTION HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED BY OTHER CONFERENCE ORGANIZERS.
This site, which does not allow users to cast a dissent nor an abstention,
This was your best shot? You need to get a life, or maybe you just need to
through any media and regardless of frontiers."  Neither IANA-NSI nor the
throwing up off-the-top-of-the-head lists of board members, lists that
tied to questions and issues, in this case as related to DNS
times degenerated into long, drawn out tales of how individuals
TLD), but is that good for consumers OR ibm? If there is no .biz TLD, then
TLDs. You are right !! You win !! .COM is the king !! Let's
to argue FOR IT. Let's go ahead and agree that on the
to be a self-indulgent, capricious whim.
to commercialize the Internet called CommerceNet in 1994, was a means of
to confuse my argument by mixing the concepts of new TLDs with monopoly and
to cut the number of seats from 19, not increase it. Klein also
to give them to its chosen corporate cronies.
to imagine that what is happening today had not been in long
to Jim Fleming of Unir Corp and an apparent supporter of pgMedia, who
to represent all the world's Internet users a larger Board might well be
to speak to his client or was unaware of his client's past correspondences...
to support these monopolistic arrangements. As a result, RIPE clearly
to the people who are against the new TLDs.
to the root, as well as suing for damages.
to the USG to resolve the last set of conflicts and problems via a
tonight?
top if one views organizations in the traditional hierarchical way).
transfer of the IANA and internic authorites as independent of the new TLD
translating .com into all languages. Then surely you're going to make sure
Transparency
transparency.  Some meetings were to be closed, minutes would be distributed
U.S. and to the International community to be protecting
U.S. regime.
ultimately be outsiders looking in at Newco's activities.  These provisions
under .net. He clearly wasn't an ISP. I have been travelling for three days
and returned to 359 emails about
under no obligation to use new tlds, and the introcudtion
under the umbrella of U.S. Constitutional protections, handed down through
unfortunate. However, it isn't strictly "commercial" interests that have
Unfortunately, our Electronic Voting System(tm)(EVS)(tm) is not yet
unilateral retraction posted on the net.
Union.
University of Southern California's Information Sciences Institute,
unjustifiably with the blame of confusion. They are not people who go
unless you are willing to spell out how adding new TLDs actually breaks a
up by the Boston Working Group earlier this week, which changed
US Federal Court, Southern District NY,
used it to save lives in Indonesia of late. That this feature might upset
useless to be talking about specific names or specific by-law
users/outsiders, granting the SOs only advisory status.  But this proposal
Va.-based organization representing users around the globe.
valuable electromagnetic energy to flow which is the lifeblood of both
verifying that belief in the minds of many observers. We HAVE to go
version the Board represents only users.  Thus this proposal does away with
very even handed criticism of his 'TLD vote' web site and the issue as a
view on the relationship between the IANA and NSI, a relationship that
violated, then the case will continue. The lead attorney for NSI
Walking directions will be available at Foundation Bldg.)
want to achieve influence via pre-emption rather than consensus. But
was going to be weird, but it turned out to be a real high point of the
was the most representative of the citizens, maximizing the relationship
way.
we care?
we have not yet been able to track down. Fleming is an ex-Bell
we NOW have over 2 million TLDs...YES, much less confusing
wealthy stakeholders have offered to donate money to cover its initial
website involves the safety of lives, such as the hapless creatures who
Wednesday night's User Forum was a great success!  Despite the logistical
Wednesday, September 23, 1998, from 7:00pm to 10:00pm, with
what I see. But it is interesting that the history of the
What needs to be protected are the rights of access to the flow of
WHAT YOU CAN DO: THE DNS.FORUM
what's this ?...some more ?...How can this be ?
Whatever side things have happened with NSI more recently has been
when he says that no one can know what life will be like after October
When new tlds are added--and there WILL be new tlds--
where people can be selected out of the view of the broader public
whether or not ibm.com == ibm.biz.
Whew!
Which brings me to my next point:
which can be summed up by insisting that the interim board of
which he characterized the IANA and Jon Postel as being one and the
which is attempting to play a high stakes game of political hot potato with
which is needed if the process is to be built upon a solid foundation.
which is the world in which you choose to live?  I prefer
which little states have equal power.)  These categories of representation
While most people people discussed *how* to privatize the Internet, some
whole, is not informed enough about computer issues to make rational
whole, is not informed enough about computer issues to make rational
whole.  Paul, did not address my issues and only tried to misdirect my
Why do you care what the TLD is? Everyone I know uses Ctrl-K to copy it
widely accepted, PUBLIC forum for modification of the draft articles
widely circulated, one from today's government contractors (IANA and NSI)
will be elected by some kind of membership (where the definition of
will not be available this time due to the disruption of the event by
will pay these fees will keep a close eye on them.
William Dallas of the New York law firm of Sullivan & Cromwell, said
WITH A CHANGE OF VENUE:  THE NEW SCHOOL FOR SOCIAL
with rights (below).
with some delay, etc.  Overall, Newco could operate with a fairly high
within their own box of "command and control", which is being undermined by
Without an agreement, future development of the Internet could have
without any regard to geographical representation (which any fool
without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas
Wonderland" (as in NSI's attorney Bill Dallas) and equally as fantastic.
words we use.  (Don't have a cow!)
working for them. NSI also suggested to Judge Patterson that the
working under a government contract. pgMedia said NSI was infringing
world like the Internet where so many are greedy for power. That there
would ensure public interest representation on the new organization's Board.
WWW.ATT
WWW.ATT.NETOBJECTS
WWW.IBM
WWW.IBM.NETOBJECTS
WWW.INTERNIC
WWW.MCDONALDS
WWW.MCDONALDS.NETOBJECTS
WWW.MICROSOFT
WWW.MICROSOFT.NETOBJECTS
WWW.NETOBJECTS
year.  In 1997 the Domain Name Rights Coalition proposed that the Board
YEP !!!....no confusion here...Mr. Rabinowitz has ended it...
You are right. We don't need TLDs.
You can get involved right now by joining DNS.FORUM, where you can help
you can still use the legacy ones as you like.  You are
you may participate online the old-fashioned way...To the Forum,
You see, you're defending status quo by explaining the logic of it. I say
You'I am re-posting this to the dns.forum list, with the permission of Jim
you.
your obviously Mr. Tidy-Bowl Idea of how DNS names should be arranged and
zig-zags most people found the hall and contributed to a lively discussion
[Also, re-reread key insertion tidbit above.]
[and who] should be free from direct financial interests..." (CPSR
[person] one vote" and weaken the principle of "one dollar one vote."
---