Lev Manovich on Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:38:22 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: Syndicate: zeroglab rotterdam: L.M. -Digital Constru...rary Style

Dear Karoly Toth:

I am glad my little remark provoked such a detailed response...and
emotions! Not quite sure what part of it to respond to. However:

1. By "anti-subjectified" I mean the style or attitude which refuses
defining identity through consumer syles, labels or products. So wearing
no-label cloves or using no-lable, industrial products would qualify.

2. >then I am de Marcel Duchamp of the WebArt?

Probably not. With the proliferation of digital media and Web art, an
avant-garde artists today should stay of the Web altogether.

3. >I just want to help Lev Manovitch with his scientific research on web
>design, providing facts, to help to solve HIS problem. Apparently he has
>one.

Easy does it! Have you been to the boarding school? The only PROBLEM I
have is trying to make the sense of times we live in. This includes HCI
and the Web. So, I am back to my "ivory tower."

Cheers from la-la land,

Lev

> [...]
>as artist in residence in Finland last year (1997). This is a fact.
>
>I made a lecture about my work (and not only mine, about activities related
>to cyber-whatever space research and spatiality, which I also miss in
>Manovitch's version of the story about design) to the students of the Fine
>Art academy in Helsinki at MUU-mediabase. This is a fact.
>
>It was the part of a session of lectures about web related art, organized by
>a Helsinki based artist Terhi Penttila.
>She is maybe known by the SAUNA project at Ars Electronica. My knowledge of
>the Finish language is very limited (iso olut + pieni olut) but I have seen
>the flyer of the lecture. There where the words: web art (written). I have
>asked Terhi about what the hack is this web-art thing. It came out that
>there is a kind of 'isme going on (actually i think, it appeared AFTER the
>last DocumentaX, as an art form, which is funny). Terhi showed me some of
>these web-art works. Which was also funny, the works where funny, and the
>fact, (this is a fact) that I appeared to be a web artist, according to
>Terhi, when I told her that I made this kind of artifacts before the
>fenomenon of web-art even appeard, she told me to present these works as web
>art. Which i did not do.
>
>(i have works made with some historical (DOS) MM authoring prog's. Which
>looked like the web art today, but at that time there was the web, but there
>was no web browser invented yet. (it happened acually around that time
>(1992), and when it was there i have already stopped to make this kind of
>artifacts.) There was one of these works on the old Digital City site
>(cca1993 see my cv. at www.tip.nl/users/terra ), one of the first web
>museums, the Temporary Museum of Walter vd. Cruijsen. (under the name Sandor
>Toth :) The title was: West Block. Then the T.M. moved to www.desk.nl and
>the T.M. disappeared (after several mails to the host of T.M to correct my
>name (answers=none). This is a fact.
>
>And this fact has happended in, Europe, Holland , and not in Amsterdam, but
>in The Hague. There was ONE of the first art gorup (UBUQUE) in europe (cca.
>1990) which made research on these fenomenons, (NOT TEXT BASED!).
>
>I just want to help Lev Manovitch with his scientific research on web
>design, providing facts, to help to solve HIS problem. Apparently he has
>one.
>
>K.T.: A question to Lev Manovitch: Is this fact I have described above,
>means that:
>if this new art form in and around digital space IS AVANTGARDE, as Lev
>Manovich and Geert Lovink suggests (I do not think they are competent to
>decide this).
>Does this mean, that: then I am de Marcel Duchamp of the WebArt?
>Please answer. (through  open channels please!)
>
>ME TARZAN YOU SCIENTIST. :)
>

>TO BE CONTINUED
>
>with tarzanizing regards
>
>Karoly Toth visual artist (appeard to be an architect)

Dr. Lev Manovich / http://jupiter.ucsd.edu/~manovich
Visual Arts Department, 0327, University of California -- San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0327 U.S.A. /
phone: 619-822-1012  / fax: 619-534-8651

---