reclaim the streets on Sun, 10 Jan 1999 01:41:36 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> -ALLSORTS- Shell Accused of Complicity in Massacre

>Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 19:28:06 +0000
>To: rts@gn.apc.org
>From: PAConsumer@aol.com (by way of genetics <genetics@gn.apc.org>)
>Subject: -ALLSORTS- Shell Accused of Complicity in Massacre
>AAA27287
>
>Please read the following release and take action TODAY by using the sample
>letter and addresses that follow.  Please forward this to your allies and
>friends. The media is ignoring this urgent issue, and we need to spread the
>word ourselves.
>
>DELTA KILLINGS ARE NIGERIA'S DIRTY LITTLE SECRET
>Hundreds Shot in Severe, Underreported Niger Delta Environmental Struggle
>

>Shell, Chevron, etc. Accused of Complicity with Military Regime on
>Crackdown Affects Sierra Leone Pullout, Prospect for February Elections, Big
>Oil
>Earnings
>[Kaiama, Niger Delta, Nigeria -- January 6]
>
>Somewhere between Iraq, impeachment, Sierra Leone, the Congo and the record
>Dow, the worst unrest in Nigeria since the Biafran civil war has so far
>slipped through the cracks in US news outlets other than wire
>service reports and Pacifica Radio.  Yet this is an easily coverable story
>involving hundreds of killings and egregious human rights abuses with
>important context for Nigerian troops pulling out of Sierra Leone, profound
>implications for
>multinational oil company earnings and for the prospects for Nigeria's
>scheduled democratic elections in February.
>
>On New Year's eve, the military government imposed a state of
>emergency on the oil-rich Niger Delta and government troops fired on
>non-violent demonstrators complaining of severe environmental and health
>damage from the Chevron, Shell and other oil transnationals operating there.
>Life expectancy and per capita income is very low amid the Delta's severely
>polluted land, water and air, and oil revenues do not benefit the local
>economy.  The troops killed 26, wounded scores, incarcerated youths and
>leaders in the Bori
>Camp prison where the martyrred Ogoni leader Ken Saro-Wiwa was imprisoned.
>Thousands of troops, two warships and helicopter gunships (weapons purchased
>by the military regime with Delta oil revenues) were deployed against the
>Delta's civilians.  The state of emergency was lifted Monday night, January 4,
>according to AP, but not before over 200 Ijaws, the main ethnicgroup
>represented among the environmental protestors, were pulled from their houses
>and cars and summarily shot, according to local sources.
>
>Some wire services as well as US National Security Council and CIA
>briefings today indicated that Olusegun Obasanjo, one-time military ruler of
>Nigeria (1976-79), rumored to be the US's preferred presidential candidate,
>brokered a deal with Delta students' groups to cease action until after
>February's elections.  The report is doubtful: Obasanjo has his own agenda
> [...]

££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$RECLAIM THE STREETS$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$£££££££££££££

"the collapse of the global marketplace would be a traumatic event with
unimaginable consequences. Yet I find it easier to imagine than the
continuation of the present regime." George Soros

 Get ready for "June 18th 1999" International Day of Action - Simultaneous
Occupation and transformation of global financial centres -
http://www.gn.apc.org/june18

 THE RESISTANCE WILL BE AS TRANSNATIONAL AS CAPITAL

Or Go here today: http://www.gn.apc.org/rts/

order your copy of Reclaim the Streets - the Film now -
 from:  rtsfilm@hotmail.com

JU
---