David Garcia on Mon, 1 Feb 1999 12:18:40 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Something Personal

>Something Personal

The list is effective because it creates a zone hovering somewhere between
the private sphere of conversation and the public domain of publishing.
Amidst all the loose talk of hybridity the list's capacity
to blur private and public communications has proved itself to be a
uniquely productive hybrid medium. It allows new forms of content to emerge
from a new social process.  Over the The years of reading and occasionally
contributing to nettime has introduced me to new forms of intellectual
intimacy. Theorist and critic (and Nettime contributor) Lev Manovich has
suggested that the computer is currently projecting its own ontology onto
the culture at large, the ontology of the "data base" which he sees as a
rival to narrative with its pre-ordained trajectories of cause and
effect.Certainly I have noticed weird changes in my own reading patterns,
for one thing I've become addicted to textual coincidence. More likely to
spin out strange patterns. But at the same time more inclined to agonize
self consciously (to much so) about my own position as reader or writer in
this endlessly reconfiguring web of connections. An example.

> [...]
>and space.
>
>Of course I'm in a fools trance, I can't help kidding myself that I'm in a
>new world of cultural diversity instead of being just another post modern
>cultural tourist. Just the latest victim of what Stuart Hall described as
>the problem of 'decenterings which originate from the center itself!' "Have
>you ever thought" he wrote "that it is only in the center that you can
>really sample ethnic cuisine? In the periphery they just want people to
>eat, they don't have any choice, the choices exist here".
>
>But despite and because of my privileged position this remains an utopian
>reading moment. Chatwin hadn't understood the story being told, he knew he
>hadn't understood it, but still, he included it. And because of this, he
>opened up a space for me, the reader. In the "Practice of Every Day Life"
>written in the 1970's de Certeau described this specific kind of reading
>pleasure (which he calls tactical)"...the thin film of writing becomes a
>movement of strata, a
>play of spaces. A different world (the reader's) slips into the author's
>place.
>This mutation makes the text habitable, like an apartment. It transforms
>another person's property into a space borrowed for a moment by a
>transient. Renters make comparable changes in an apartment they furnish
>with their acts and memories...."
>This tendency to open up reading spaces, rather than simply consume
>texts,to briefly occupy and to make them ones own, is, as I have described,
>a possibility in all forms of reading. But the power and the point, of a
>skillfully moderated internet list like Nettime is that this quality is for
>grounded, amplified. As you read you know you can also respond, and that
>this response will be filtered through a multitude of sensibilities. A
>nettimer coined the term "collaborative text filtering" for this process.
>As a reader, even if you never respond, the knowledge that you could,
>profoundly alters the reading experience. As internet lists evolve we see
>new forms of content emerge from what is essentially a strange and often
>dysfunctional social process.
>The ontological terrorist Hakim Bey gave this notion of creating and
>occupying transient cultural spaces a new currency when he introduced the
>term "temporary autonomous zones". Four years ago in an interview he
>expanded on the idea when he spoke of a key distinction between what he
>called  "intimate media" and "mass media".  He spoke affectionately of
>pirate radio and of the zine or the small scale publication as having an
>intimate relationship with its audience, inviting discourse. He contrasted
>this with speaking or writing through the mass media which, for Bey,
>creates no resonance "no returning echo".  But if Hakim Bey was more
>familiar with the nettime he might have recognized a third possibility.
>Between the intimate media and the mass media, an internet list can be

(re-mix of article written for Casco Issues)
---