Guy Van Belle on Sat, 6 Feb 1999 00:45:26 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Call for the 1999 Leonardo Music Journal CD

sorry for any cross-posting
please forward to anyone else

Call for the 1999 Leonardo Music Journal CD
Title: "Converted to Streaming Between Machines"

Deadline: March 1st 1999.

OK, 1999 today, and whatever you may think about 2000: the millenium bug
is coming! Beware! Panic will rule your life. Nothing will be the same
afterwards again. But hey, relax till New Year's eve 2000. Sit back and
contemplate about the past century.
(e-mail re: *ahem* so now you went for the commercial approach? Throw in
some Millennium fever? hi hi hi On the cover of last week's Time mag: "The
end of the world!?! Y2K insanity! Apocalypse Now! Will computers melt
down? Will society? A guide to Millenium Madness.")

Also the Leonardo Music Journal is in a reflective mood (could that be the
real bug?). Computers, Internet, multimedia: what have we done to music?
Where is the composer, the programmer, the author, the DJ & VJ, the
artist, the broad/netcaster, the kid, the enthousiast, the bricoleur.
Nowadays, what is experimental, new, alternative, and what is along the
lines of tradition? Who is making this all up and who is drawing the
borderlines between genres, social groups, disciplines?
Art, Science & Technology! Is there still an audience, where have the real
people gone, and isn't there anything more to expect than what we find on
the web? Once the wavelets are in the right format, and out there,
transmitted through fiber-optic, and copied from disc to disc. It almost
seems as if the audience consists rather of the millions of machines
keeping the systems running, than the few humans caring to click and
download and listen. We are sitting in a room and waiting and thinking.
Next question: who takes the call?

A WALK THROUGH THE BAZAAR
The current musical landscape seems more diverse than ever before. But if
it is true that all media are converging - that they are translated into
the computer paradigm then, certainly music is doing its best to prove
that right! For any genre, composers have moved to the computer for
editing, synthesis, and mixing. MIDI is where we left it a couple of years
ago, and due to newer processors, we are overwhelmed with software that
allows complex sound synthesis and real-time manipulation. Furthermore,
music and sound are losing their autonomy and a growing number of
'multimedia composers' is getting involved in performances and cd-rom
editions. We are not talking about the high-end super-expensive production
software. Most of this is happening through small-scale and low-cost code,
often programmed by enthusiasts and shared all along by a growing
community of DIY noise makers. Leonardo Music CD wants to show what is
happening with shareware and freeware.
1. Who are the developers?
2. Who are the users?
3. What is your music?
But, who-ever-you-are & what-ever-you-do: take the call!

A DIFFERENT KIND OF CODE(C): BE CONNECTED
Yes, the Internet. Does it become mature so that we can speak of a new
generation of 'netcomposers'? No, this call is not about the new data
types & protocols, but about the new generation of media artists using
sounds and images and working with low data rate transfers. Netcasters
performers, DJ's, VJ's, or just people putting free audio on-line! A
growing number of creative people are building new communities, the link
is the music that streams for ever. Leonardo Music CD wants to show what
is happening out there on the Net.
1. Who are you?
2. Where are your servers?
3. What is your music?
So, who-ever-you-are & what-ever-you-make: take the call!

Finally, if there is anyone out there who feels neglected, or is convinced
this call doesn't touch ground, do contact us. Motivate why sound and
music in 1999 is different, and provide us with the appropriate examples -
euh - samples...

> Just add something saying VERY CLEARLY
> that it is a multi-use CD, which means QuickTime,
> software, hypertexts, graphics, pure audio, etc.,
> and that you are soliciting all of the above.
OK OK: we want to have enough diverse material to compile a cd-extra
(audio + cd-rom on 1 disk). So please, indicate the format of your
contribution. Our policy is to include any (multimedia) format that is
used by contemporary music/sound-related artists.

For more information, mailto: Guy.VanBelle@rug.ac.be.
Get us a short explanation of your proposal, describe the format(s) of
your submission, explain why you have to contribute. We will get back to
you to see what you got. We can provide you with an upload site for small
files, and with a snail address if you want to send a tape or cd-r. Good
luck!

For additional information about the Leonardo Music Journal:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-journals/Leonardo/lmj/sound.html
---