t byfield on Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:42:46 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> EC may interpret IP numbers as 'personal data'

[this courtesy of NTKnow:

 _   _ _____ _  __ <*the* weekly high-tech sarcastic update for the uk>
| \ | |_   _| |/ / _ __   __1999-02-12_ o join! mail 'subscribe ntknow'
|  \| | | | | ' / | '_ \ / _ \ \ /\ / / o  to majordomo@lists.ntk.net
| |\  | | | | . \ | | | | (_) \ v  v /  o website (+ archive) lives at:
|_| \_| |_| |_|\_\|_| |_|\___/ \_/\_/   o     http://www.ntk.net/

...as they put it:

<...>
         Last month, during the ongoing privacy discussions between
         the US and Europe, officials representing the EC began
         suggesting that not only is caching illegal, but so is
         storing IP numbers. Because IP quads can refer to an
         "identifiable person" (well, no, they refer to identifiable
         machines, but do carry on), even those logs that your
         Webserver holds could be in breach of EC law. Thankfully,
         we're guessing that the British Data Protection People
         wouldn't be so insane as to implement this - but, it's still
         a sparkling demonstration of the clue-vacuum at the heart of
         government. On the other hand, this one's been fed to us
         third hand and via the US authorities but when the second
         hand was Vint Cerf, who exactly were they trying to fool?

   http://lyris.isoc.org/cgi-bin/lyris/lyris.pl?visit=isoc-members-discuss

- search for "privacy". ironic, since it's supposed to be a closed list

  <...>

gets you the following URL:

<http://lyris.isoc.org/cgi-bin/lyris/lyris.pl?visit=isoc-members-discuss&id=77329616>

cerf's conclusion is a bit mysterious, since it would affect a lot more
than "Internet business models." but i suppose that invoking 'business'
has become a strange sort of genuflection these days, lest we incur the
wrath of the Hidden Hand.--tb]

- - -