Geert Lovink on Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:34:56 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> FAQ DIGITAL WORK

> Seems virtuous, and presumably assumes that this new trade-union will not
> merely mirror the hierarchical, fixed, privileges of corporate-ownership,
> as it has in the past. Wouldn't mandatory (somehow) stock-options, or
> better-yet, a nationally guaranted-annual-income and fewer working-hours
> be a more 'efficient' focal tool of organization?

hi brad,

why do think trade unions are hierarchical? there is a great tradition
within anarcho syndicalism, there christian unions, stalinist, maffia
unions, you name it. I think the question of the union came up because of
the worries that digital workers these days are concidering their problems
of bad working circumstances, freelance contracts, or no contracts at all,
as their personal problem. I do not see how stock-options are related to
the working circumstances. few hours, yes. guaranted income also. but how
do these demands are related to the question (desire) of getting organized
in a more efficient way?

best, geert

---