Elisa Rose on Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:17:32 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Digital Decay and traceless art

First of all I want to say that this subject is really powerful !

Realtime in the middle of it - one of the hottest themes right now.
Nothing interests me more since years, I experiment/play with it as often
as I can.
Realtime excludes archiving in a way, doesnt it?
As soon as STReaming realtime art=webcasting is archived, it is past.

For me as a (multimedia realtime) artist archiving immediately means extra
work (without pleasure), that destroys the moment of fluid  realtime art.
Basically I dont want to go back to past realtime moments, but instead
create new ones.

realtime is the most powerful "time" for digital art, so trying to save it
IMHO is wrong .
it is like having to write concepts (with words) for people, curators, ...
cause they believe when they read about art then they understand. But can
they "understand" art when we supply words?
donīt they have to experience it, going into those rooms out of visuals&soundz?

webcasting is one powerful way of playing LIVE as an artist, everything
around it is secondary.
LIVE=REALTIME.

Tjebbe van Tijen brings in the term "ceremonial sand drawings" of the
Navajo. I like this very< much.
Digital art is like this, it comes and goes. and when it comes back, it is
different, updated & morphed, with new layers, to a new realtime piece of
art.

REALTIME RULES!
;-)

... Too much preservation is suffocating, does not leave enough