nettime's_indigestive_system on Sat, 3 Apr 1999 08:06:25 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> yugoslavia/nato digest 040299 [blissett, sugar, stahlman]

Luther Blissett <tom9351@iperbole.bologna.it>
          Re: <nettime> Down with war criminals
sj@mrf.hu (Janos Sugar)
          y2k
Newmedia@aol.com [mark stahlman]
          World Revolution

Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 03:09:10 +0200
From: Luther Blissett <tom9351@iperbole.bologna.it>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Down with war criminals

At 20.56 02/04/99 +0200, Heiko Recktenwal wrote:
>Hi,
>>Slobodan Milosevic and his cut-throats into unconvincing heroes and
>>self-styled opponents of the New World Order, leaving Serbian people with
>>no choice but siding with their dictator. Absurd: historical ignorance
>
>What ? No choice ???

OK, try this one:
"...making Serbian people feel they're left with only one choice: to side
with their dictator".
Does it sound better?
As a matter of fact most Serbs ARE taking that side, whether we like it or
not (I sure don't like it). All foreign correspondents from Belgrade are
(rather unwillingly) laying the stress on this fact. A few days ago I heard
a broadcast on Italia Radio (incidentally, a network which supports NATO)
about some Serbian dissenters living in Tuscany. These people stated that
they always were anti-Milosevic, but they'd go back to Belgrade and enlist
in the army if there really were a ground attack, because to defend their
country is the most important thing. I despise patriotism and nationalism,
but I find these reactions understandable. It is Clinton's fault if
nationalism is perceived as the only way out.
This is not psychology and we're not the only ones to notice it on nettime.