a.s.ambulanzen on Thu, 8 Apr 1999 18:39:43 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> infowar? some more error messages (1/2) [and] (2/2)

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 16:12:44 +0200
From: "a.s.ambulanzen" <h0444wol@rz.hu-berlin.de>
Subject: infowar? some more error messages (1/2)

### some more error messages (1/2) ###

serbia blindness?

> Milosevic looks like on many point to Hitler regarding his programm of
> ethnic cleansing

was there, in nazi germany, a jewish liberation army fighting for the
secession of a province, claiming their own national or ethnical identity?
do we face, in yugoslavia today, the european-wide, industrial annihilation
of a whole so-called "race"?

> we can see that on ideology level it is really closed to the work of
> nazi on jews...

has milosevic accused the people in kosovo of planning or being part
of a secret world conpiracy against yugoslavia? is the yugoslavian
ideology based on the radicalization of a century-old, european-wide
traditon of anti-kosovism?

> On the other side we have one man (Milosevic), one land (Great Serbia),
> one homeland (serbs) as Hitler with great Germany !

has serbia invaded poland? invaded russia? have they destroyed coventry?
destroyed rotterdam? they occupied france? bombed london?

> The nation state and nationalism are one of the causes of the greatest
> evils of our time, but what should replace them? and how? Edward Said has
> called for a multi----shall we call it "ethnic"---Palestine/Israel. Would
> someone explain to me why this is not possible in "Yugoslavia"? Several
> decades of evidence says it is.

so isn't it rather that the nation state and nationalism have just replaced
what was possible before, and that the question that was on the western
politicial agenda was rather: how to break up the former east bloc, where to
draw the lines, what ethnic borders to accept? what western nation was it
again that first supported independence for slovenia and croatia? what
western nation was it again that supplied the kla with weapons? what western
nation now announces it is willing to take 10.000 kosovo refugees while they
have just sent many more of them back because they said it was safe there?

sometimes one might wonder what most people in the west actually expected
to follow when the "post-war" era ended. the end of history? here you are.
as if it wasn't obvious that, when "post-war" stops, "pre-war" begins.
and one might wonder where all the people have been when that wall
came down in 89? what did they think would appear behind it? freedom and
democracy? prosperity? xs4all? how many people died at the border between
poland and germany again, since 1990? and how many died at thet wall? not
trying to do any calculation with these figures, but nevertheless, this is
real, and the berlin wall has been filed under "shame of the century". not
trying to justify it, the eastern side was a shame, but the western side,
in a way, served as a holocaust memorial. a cut, for historical reasons.
so that, when it was gone, most of that history was to disappear as well,
and western germany discovered, in former eastern germany, a horrible and
despotic regime that, after only ten years of continued discoursive efforts,
is now said to equal nazi germany, all in all. now milosevic equals hitler.
if that was a slogan of the yugoslavian opposition, one might hesitate
to complain, but as slogan of the german government, "milosevic equals
hitler" will be transformed into "hitler equals milosevic" and finally
result in "1933 - 1945 = 0".