Alain Kessi on Tue, 20 Apr 1999 06:56:17 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> [Fwd: Suspension of Mail Service to Yugoslavia]

why do i automatically read "e-mail" when i see "mail"? anyway, as most
of you probably understood before it was rubbed under my nose, it's the
postal snail-mail services from yugoslavia to the us that have been
interrupted by the us administration, not the e-mail. this is, of
course, just as outrageous as e-mail being interrupted. are any
campaigns planned in the us against this? would it be possible to
organize relays, for instance in western european countries, which would
send letters on to the us? are there other nato countries resorting to
this primitive and blunt form of censorship?

alain
--------------

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:25:08 -0700
To: kessi@bitex.com
From: Pat Procopio <pprocopio@UCSD.Edu>
Subject: Re: Suspension of Mail Service to Yugoslavia

Dear Alain,

UCSD Mail Services received the directive from the U.S. Postal Service
based on the conflict in Yugoslavia.  Written correspondence to Yugoslavia
having to go through the U.S. Postal Service is suspended until further
notice.  This is not a hoax.  Computerized e-mail correspondence sent via
the internet are still an option for you.

Pat Procopio
Manager, UCSD Mail Services
pprocopio@ucsd.edu

---