Slobodan Markovic on Sat, 8 May 1999 10:15:13 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> beograd.com announcement

[from http://www.beograd.com]

beograd.com announcement:

Our effort to earn money through advertising to keep beograd.com alive has
been cut short today.

An Albanian organized campaign called advertisers around the country whose
ads appeared on our Ad Network banners, threatening boycott of their
products. Major advertisers, including Microsoft, in turn threatened Ad
Network with pulling their ads if our account is not cancelled. This
morning our account was cancelled.

We find it shocking that advertisers would pull out of the news site whose
reports are timely and accurate and often quoted by Reuters, CNN, Sky, Fox
News and other major news organizations in the country and the world,
simply because our editorial position does not appeal to one small market
segment.

We feel this is an attempt to silence beograd.com which has, after NATO
bombing of Yugoslav TV and Radio facilities, remained the only accurate and
timely source of information from within Yugoslavia.

We are attempting to attract other advertisers, but in the mean time we
appeal to beograd.com visitors to continue their financial support so that
we may stay in operation.

---