Ivo Skoric on Fri, 6 Aug 1999 21:26:30 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> [B92press] Message of solidarity

>Message of solidarity from Radio B92/Free B92 and the
>Association of Independent Electronic Media in Yugoslavia to
>Radio KPFA, Berkeley, and Radio WBAI, New York.
>

>BELGRADE, July 28 - Radio B92, a banned independent radio
>station in Belgrade, Yugoslavia,expresses solidarity with
>the threatened stations in the Pacifica network - KPFA and
>WBAI.
>
>Despite your local character, over the past decade you have
>presented to stations around the world a model for freedom
>of speech and the unhindered availability of information. By
>supporting civil activism, peace movements and ethnic
>tolerance as well as various progressive local initiatives,
>you have been the quintessential community radio stations.
>As the oldest American local stations you have shown that
>despite media monopolies and manipulations it is possible to
>preserve a spirit of tolerance, freedom and truth and to
>allow dissenting voices to be heard.
>
>Your struggle to preserve your autonomy in the growing
>conflict with  your owner has revealed an unexpected
>similarity between the media in the US and Serbia today, the
>freedom of speech is being stifled in a similar manner,
>journalists are being persecuted and intimidated and
>progressive radio stations are prevented from operating. The
>similarity of the media situation in our two nations, which
>differ in many things, demonstrates that the character of
>media repression is virtually the same under openly
>totalitarian dictatorships as it is under democratic systems
>which are increasingly influenced by conservative
>structures.
>
>The examples of Radio B92, Radio WBAI and Radio KPFA show
>that freedom and democracy are universal ideals which must
>constantly be protected throughout the world regardless of
>the political system and social order of particular
>countries.
>
>Radio B92 condemns in the strictest terms the repression and
>exertion of force against the staff of Radio KPFA and Radio
>WBAI and their listeners.
>
>We therefore join the protests against the attempts to
>control your work.
>
>We wish you the strength to persevere in your struggle for
>the freedom of speech, truth, and the preservation of your
>authenticity.
>
>Long live freedom of speech! And down with media repression
>which knows no ideological or national boundaries, either in
>Berkeley or in Belgrade.
>
>Jointly,
>
>Free B92 and ANEM Belgrade, Yugoslavia
>
>July 28, 1999
>

>Poruka solidarnosti Free B92/Radio B92 i Asocijacije
>nezavisnih elektronskih medija iz Jugoslavije radio
>stanicama KPFA iz Berkeleya i WBAI iz New York.
>
>BEOGRAD, 28.jul - Radio B92, nezavisna radio stanica iz
>Beograda -  Jugoslavija ciji je rad zabranjen, izrazava
>svoju solidarnost sa ugrozenim stanicama Pacifica mreze -
>KPFA i WBAI.

> [...]

#  distributed via nettime-l: no commercial use without permission of author
#  <nettime> is a moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
#  un/subscribe: majordomo@bbs.thing.net and
# "un/subscribe nettime-l you@address" in the msg body
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org/ contact: <nettime@bbs.thing.net>