nettime_announcer on Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:27:07 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> announcer 99.37 [b]

 ° ° ° ° °                                                         - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 9 9 . 3 7 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  b <<

                                                                         - - - -
      Andrew Forbes <andyf@j15.com> : net-art99 - call for nominations   | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
   Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com> : trAce Online Writing Community   | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Eric Kluitenberg <epk@xs4all.nl> :  new media projects - Kunst NRW.NL   | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
   Eric Kluitenberg <epk@xs4all.nl> : Permanent Flux Rom - The Launch!   | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
     Ed Osborn <edo@curve.to> : Audio Recordings of Great Works of Art   | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Valery Grancher <vgranger@imaginet.fr> : artwork for BAM/PFA web site   | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
                           J. Salloum <JSalloum@aol.com> : WTO protest   | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Faith Wilding <fwild+@andrew.cmu.edu> : CYBERFEMINISM, Next Protocols   | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
  Richard Barbrook <richard@hrc.wmin.ac.uk> : Cybercommunist Manifesto   | 2 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                       mailto: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

vintage '99 at http://www.net-art.org
call for nominations for net-art99

The 'net-art99' event opens for viewing, vetting and voting at
http://www.net-art.org on September 13th. Running till 01/01/00, this wide
ranging listing of publicly nominated 'net-art' projects follows from last
year's event in bringing to the web-wide arena a single site from which to
visit some of the best of 1999 - and then to return and give one's reaction.
Registered site visitors can give points from 15 to -5 per listed site that
they have visited (and revise vote on subsequent visits), whilst on the site
forum more in depth reactions can be given and taken.

For those of us wanting to get their work (or that of your heroes/enemies)
exposed and reacted upon, there is still ample time to nominate projects.
They must meet the definition of 'net-art' given on the site and cannot have
appeared (unless substantially developed) in net-art98
(http://www.net-art.org/98). Any marginally net-arty sites will go before
the 'nominations panel', any plugins etc allowed but please list from
nominations form on site, really long downloads may get the brush off cause
it spoils things for the rest of us.

Who will follow along the path blazed last year by master-pioneers such as
Superbad, Olia Lialina, jodi and David Oppenheimer?

Check out http://www.net-art.org and leave your mark.

PS you need Flash 4 to get in this year.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

Press Release: Alan Sondheim - New trAce Virtual Writer-in-Residence

ALAN SONDHEIM
http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/writers/sondheim/

Brooklyn-based cyber-theorist Alan Sondheim is the latest writer to join
the growing band at the trAce Online Writing Community
http://trace.ntu.ac.uk

He is taking up the virtual baton from trAce's first Virtual Writer-in-
Residence Christy Sheffield Sanford, and will be available on the site
until March 2000.

Sondheim is a poet, critic, and theorist who writes on and about the
Internet. His books include Disorders of the Real, and the anthology Being
on Line, and during his time with trAce he will be working on a series of
collaborative pieces including 'Love and War and Jennifer' as well as
running a group of other online projects and conferences on topics like
programming code, avatars, cyborgs and experimental writing.

In 'Love and War and Jennifer' he urges writers to get involved. "Add your
own segments to the story backbone, or add your own webpages on the theme.
I imagine a huge accumulation of texts grounding this millennium in the
next, working and reading and creating new experiences on the way."

Alan is enthusiastic about his new post with trAce. He says "I'm extremely
excited to work in an environment that is in the forefront of online
culture. The opportunity to work with writers and artists engaged in
cultural activity around the world is incredible and amazing to me."

Director of trAce, novelist Sue Thomas, is delighted that Alan will be
working on the site. "Alan Sondheim lives at the sharp edge of
cyberculture today. He digs deep into the net and is never afraid to
confront some of the most profound psychological challenges the web can
sum up. I'm sure trAce writers will find it fascinating to join him in his
explorations."

BACKGROUND

In 1997 trAce received an Arts Council of England 'Arts for Everyone'
Award of £365,000 to establish this online community for writers and
readers in real and virtual space, and since then the organisation has
attracted attention from around the world. Its most successful ventures to
date include:

Community:
- WebBoard email conference open 24 hours a day
http://hum-webboard.ntu.ac.uk/~trace
- weekly online meetings at 21:00 hrs Sydney and again at 21:00 hrs London
every Sunday http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/online/moo.htm
- Incubation International Conference on Writing and the Net 10-12 July
2000 http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/incubation/

Writing Projects:
- "My Millennium" curated by Virtual Writer-in-Residence Christy Sheffield
Sanford http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/writers/sanford/my_millennium/presents.html

- Bernard Cohen, Writer-in-Residence
http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/writers/cohen/front.htm
- Writers' Online Journals http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/journals.htm
- frAme Journal of Culture and Technology http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/frame/
- trAced Resources for Writers http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/traced/traced.htm
- the Noon Quilt http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/quilt/index.html
- the Eclipse Quilt
http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/quilt/eclipse/scripts/eqQuilt_test.pl
- Kids on the Net, the junior section of trAce
http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/kotn/gokids.htm

__________________________________
The trAce Online Writing Community
Nottingham Trent University
Clifton Lane
Nottingham NG11 8NS
ENGLAND
Tel: ++44 (0)115 9486360 (direct line)
Fax: ++44 (0)115 9486364
http://trace.ntu.ac.uk
trace@ntu.ac.uk

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

Announcement:

The new media projects of Kunst NRW.NL - A cultural co-operation project of
Nordrhein-Westfalia and The Netherlands

The Netherlands will host a cultural exchange and co-operation project with
Nordrhein-Westfalia during the months October and November of this year,
entitled "Kunst NRW.NL". In the framework of this program a series of
cultural and art projects in the field of new media will be realised. These
projects have emerged from a unique co-operation between artists,
institutions and cultural initiatives from both countries. The series of
projects is co-ordinated by De Balie, Centre for Culture and Politics
(Amsterdam), and the Academy of Media Arts Cologne, with V2_Organisation
(Rotterdam) and Montevideo TBA (Amsterdam) as the most important partner
organisations.

This co-operation project underlines the close ties that exist between both
countries, and stresses the great importance this co-operation already has
today, and which it increasingly will have in the context of the further
European integration in the future. Culturally as well as in the field of
media and new media, both The Netherlands and Nordrhein-Westfalia in many
ways take a leading role in Europe. Especially in these two countries
attempts are made to establish a relationship between the new media
development as such, and its social and cultural impact, that transcends
its economic and technological significance. Both countries, moreover, have
a rich cultural tradition and history, as well as a very lively and a
highly diverse contemporary cultural live. It is foremost this diversity
that informs the new media program.

The Projects:

* Full Play: A spectacular multimedia dance performance on site in the
gasometer, Westergasfabriek, Amsterdam.

* reBoot: A floating media laboratory on the Rhine, from Cologne to
Rotterdam & Amsterdam + a telematic club event at 4 locations
simultaneously.

* Sphere & Memory Arena: New projects by the artist duo David & Ulrike
Gabriel @ V2_Organisation in Rotterdam.

* I0_Dencies - Questioning Urbanity: A project by Knowbotic Research and
V2_ about urban development in the Ruhrgebiet and the Randstad.

* Film & New Media: A film program featuring young and
experimental film from NRW, in the cross-over territory of cinema and new
media.

 * Masterclass '99: A masterclass guided by well known media artists that
results in exhibtions in Amsterdam and Cologne.

* Conference: A working conference on cultural policy and new media in NRW
& NL.

* New Media Logbook: A logbook as navigation tool; collecting program
details and background information on all projects (release: October 1st).

A special page with short descriptions of the individual projects and many
links to specific web sites about the various projects, can be found on the
Balie web site:
[ http://www.balie.nl/nrw.nl ]

De Balie
Eric Kluitenberg

Kleine Gartmanplantsoen 10
1017 RR Amsterdam

Tel. 020 - 553 51 51
Fax. 020 - 553 51 55

http://www.balie.nl

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

Official Launch of the CD ROM  Permanent Flux -
past, present and future of multimedia art

De Balie, Amsterdam,
Friday September 17, 1999

In the CD-ROM Permanent Flux four multimedia insiders (Laurie Anderson,
Siegfried, Paul Garrin and Frans Evers) render their perspective on past,
present and future of multimedia art. A favourite and crucial episode from
the history of multimedia art is the starting point for each presentation.
Their lectures, originally spoken in front of a live audience, are
supported by audio fragments, radio broadcasts, absolute film, technotrance
clips and many other examples and highlights. The texts are accessible as
linear text, but also as a semantic architecture in which a lecturer picks
up a subject where the other one has left it. From the musical and
theatrical innovations between 1850 and 1917 to experimental film and radio
during the twenties, from Fluxus, video and synthesisers from the sixties
and seventies to Laurie Anderson talking about her performances and
computer art in the nineties, Permanent Flux offers a wide range of
perspectives on the various explorations of multimedia artists during the
last century. It shows what has remained the same and what links for
example Wagners Gesamtkunstwerk to the VJ's of our days: the desire for new
worlds, new ways of expression and experience.
Among the examples from the history of multimedia that are presented on
Permanent Flux are works by Nam June Paik, Knowbotic Research, Andrej
Skriabin, Luis Bunuel, Fernand Leger, Oskar Fischinger, Man Ray, Marcel
Duchamp, Dziga Vertov and Richard Wagner.

The CD-ROM Permanent Flux is, however, much more than a mere documentation
of the lectures and the historical materials, presented here in image and
sound. Permanent Flux is above all an investigation into the dynamics of
multimedia-interfaces. The design team explored four different trajectories
of how the information flow contained within the CD-ROM can be navigated.

On Friday September 17th the CD-ROM will be launched with a special public
program at De Balie in Amsterdam. During the evening a series of multimedia
reviews of Permanent Flux will illustrate the opinions of Jaap Drupsteen,
Heiner Holtappels, Ine Poppe, Edwin van der Heide, Willem de Ridder, Willem
Velthoven, and others, about this production.

Permanent Flux was made for De Balie by: Yariv AlterFin, Bastiaan Lips,
Marjolijn Ruyg, Jaap Verdenius,  Nirit Peled, Dave Hemminga, Alfred
Rademakers, Nobby van Grinsbergen, Peter Kroon and many others.

About our protagonists:

Laurie Anderson: multimedia artist
Siegfried Zielinski: media-archaeologist and founding rector of the Academy
for Media Art in Cologne
Paul Garrin: media artist & activist, and former assistant of Nam June Paik
Frans Evers: professor at the Royal Music Academy in The Hague

Permanent Flux, past, present and future of multimedia art
Laurie Anderson, Siegfried Zielinski , Paul Garrin , Frans Evers
ISBN 90 6617 220 7
NUGI 912
Cd-rom (Mac & Windows)
Price: DFL 39,95

------------------------------------
Tickets and reservations for the Launch:
------------------------------------

By phone: 020 - 5535100.
Mo till Thu v14.00 - 20.00 hrs., Fri. 14.00 - 22.30 hrs
and Sat 17.00 - 22.30 hrs.
Ticket-price: Ÿ12,50 (Ÿ 10,00 CJP/PAS65/Stadspas/Collegekaart)

De Balie, Kleine-Gartmanplantsoen 10, Amsterdam.

http://www.balie.nl/

e-mail: balie@balie.nl

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

Audio Recordings of Great Works of Art

Containing excerpts from the first 10 years of an ongoing project the
sounds of visual culture, Audio Recordings of Great Works of Art explores
the Aural Aura of Masterworks? as found in the sounds in the immediate
locations of highly regarded paintings, sculptures, and other artworks.
The piece examines by turns museum culture, the acoustic life of silent
objects, and the space left to the ear while the eye is engaged.  Featured
recordings include DaVinci's Mona Lisa, Rembrandt's Nightwatch, a Mercedes
W196 Strolimnenwagen, and the Big Merino.

Now online at <http://curve.to/auralaura>.

Ed Osborn
Box 9121
Oakland, CA  94613
USA
edo@curve.to
http://curve.to

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

I have the pleasure to announce this new show
hereafter the press release,

Valéry Grancher
An artwork for the BAM/PFA Web site
October 4 through January 31

French artist Valéry Grancher has conceived an original interactive
artwork for the museum's Web site which will be launched
on-line October 4.

Twenty-four UC Berkeley students from a variety of departments-from Art
Practice and Art History to Molecular and Cell
Biology-are working with the artist, the curator, and the museum's
Information Systems Manager, Rick Rinehart, to realize the
work. Every hour of one entire day, the students will make a
photographic portrait according to their own criteria for subject,
composition, setting, and lighting, asking the subjects to describe in
one word their state of mind at that precise moment. All of
the images will be scanned into the computer's memory and represented on
the screen by a grid of numbers from 1 to 24, each
number corresponding to a photograph in the order it was taken. Above
each number will be the time the image was taken and
a word corresponding to each subject.

The site navigator (the viewer) will be able to participate via a
computer terminal in the museum or by accessing the museum's
Web site (http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu). There will also be a computer
terminal in the Practice of Art Department's Worth
Ryder Gallery from October 19 to 29. The viewer will randomly choose one
of the twenty-four horizontal lines that correspond
to a single photographer's twenty-four portraits. The navigator may next
click on a vertical column to view all the photographs
that were taken at a given hour of the day. Or, by mixing and matching,
the navigator can create a personal story or sequence.

Grancher has devised an elegant structure in which the creative role of
the student collaborators is matched by that of the site
visitors. The site promises to be engaging and amusing but also touches
on several significant issues, including how one defines
fiction and truth and how one operates in a space that is simultaneously
virtual and real.

An on-line catalog featuring an interview with Valéry Grancher will
accompany 24h00. Grancher will describe the interactive
Web project created for Berkeley as well as other works he has created
using digital technology in UC Berkeley's Art,
Technology, and Culture Colloquium on Wednesday, October 27, at 7:15
p.m. in 160 Kroeber Hall. Admission is free.

During the week of October 25, Grancher will be in residence at UC
Berkeley, participating in a number of student-focused
activities, including working with the museum's New Media Team and
giving classroom presentations in library information
technology and engineering. This artist's residency is a project of The
Time of Your Life: Enhancing Student Engagement with
the Arts.

Constance Lewallen
Senior Curator

24h00 is part of Cote Ouest: A Season of French Contemporary Art and is
made possible by the support of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs
through AFAA (Association Française d'Action Artistique) and its
"programme á la carte," and French Cultural Services. Étant Donnés, the
French-American Fund for Contemporary Art, and the UC Berkeley
Consortium for the Arts have provided additional support. The Time of
Your Life: Enhancing Student Engagement with the Arts is supported by a
grant from The Pew Charitable Trusts. The assistance and encouragement
of Ken Goldberg, UC Berkeley Professor of Engineering; Shawn Brixey,
Professor of Art Practice; and Charles Altieri, Professor of English and
Director of the UC Berkeley Consortium for the Arts, have made this
exhibition possible.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
September 15th International Day of Action Against the WTO!
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Join the opposition to the World Trade Organization and it's
non-democratic
agenda of economic globalization and corporate domination!

Forward this message to all appropriate listservs, then come on out for
the following public events!

-----Tuesday Sept. 14th, 7-9 pm--------
        PUBLIC EDUCATION FORUM: A PANEL AND DISCUSSION ON THE WTO
    Britannia Community Center, 1661 Napier St. (just off Commercial Dr.
north of Grandview Park)
    Room L2/L3 (above the library)

-----Wednesday Sept. 15th, 4-6 pm--------
    !!!PROTEST: CREATING A WTO-FREE ZONE!!!
    Vancouver Stock Exchange
    609 Granville at Dunsmuir

Call Lili (261-6657) or Mia (433-4789) for more info.  Organized by the
Vancouver Grassroots Alliance
Against the WTO and Simon Fraser Public Interest Research Group.

front of La Quena - bring materials for banners, posters, etc.
Feel good about yourself!

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS TO A BOOK

 The OLD BOYS NETWORK calls for contributions to its new editorial
project, provisionally titled: CYBERFEMINISM, Next Protocols - a BOOK
with new and controversial approaches to Cyberfeminism. Why? We are in
need of a book which reflects the actual (and future) state of the art of
thinking about, and inventing, the digital medium in its capacity to
subvert cultural practices which a cyberfeminist perspective can provide.
 Verena Kuni (Germany), Claudia Reiche (Germany), Yvonne Volkart
(Switzerland), and Faith Wilding (USA), as the editorial group are
looking for feminist modes of accessing, queering, transgressing,
rethinking or using information based technologies--electronic
communication (including command and control), word or image processing,
every form of virtuality and simulation, biotechnologies, body politics
 To start the discussion, the OLD BOYS NETWORK offers an outline of some
utopian reflections on contemporary Cyberfeminisms, which indicate our
special fields of interest, and may suggest debate topics.

 With the publishers of Autonomedia Books (New York) we hope to create a
network of contributions to be published in 2000/2001. We
wish to consider a broad variety of texts, as well as non-textual projects,
from experimental to theoretical, activist, poetic, polemical, fragmentary,
philosophical, and the like. If you call yourself a woman and are
interested in the communicating and debating potential of this
CYBERFEMINIST project you are invited to submit proposals. New,
unpublished work is preferred.

 Please email your proposals: 300-500 words, in English by the 30th
October, 1999 to the OLD BOYS NETWORK. Contact: boys@obn.org Visit:
http://www.obn.org. Please include your full name, postal address,
telephone, email address, and a two line biography in your proposal.

READ.ME FIRST:
invitation to contribute to cyberfeminism. next protocols 1.0

 Old Boys Network (Ed.)
 CYBERFEMINISM
 Next Protocols

 THE OLD BOYS NETWORK is especially interested in texts which address the
following:

 <Paradoxes of the digital medium>
 How do we judge the changes that the medium of the computer has
introduced in a historical way? And in the way it has changed how we
understand and use history? What are the every-day embodied conditions of
women's lives as they are being altered by the new technologies and
communications networks? What are new forms of oppression and of
liberation? Has the digital medium--starting with the undecisiveness of
the Turing test, and in its latest form when calculation-tasks have become
autonomous data processing--taken the place of the subject? Can you tell:
Where do you or the machine 'end'?

 <Paradoxes of the body>
 ...there is an instability at the very heart of sex and bodies, the fact
that the body is what it is capable of doing, and what any body is
capable of doing is well beyond the tolerance of any given culture."
(Elizabeth Grosz)
 What is the experience of gender and femininity in the virtual medium?
How do we describe these strange new bodies, these body doubles of
virtuality and flesh? What are the effects of the biotech revolution on
social constructions of gender, and on women? The manufacture and control
of fertility/infertility and the medicalization of women's body processes
are vital subjects for cyberfeminist scrutiny, critique, and activism. We
need to examine the increasingly close links between medical and military
technologies and the implications of these for women.

 <Paradoxes of the cross-breed: Net-condition>
 Cyberfeminism is not simply an evolution of historical feminism created
as a more adequate answer to meet the changed conditions of the
Information Age. Cyberfeminism can perhaps best be described as a
feminist intervention into these new conditions, and an exploration of
how they challenge the political and social conditions of feminism. What
is the net-condition of women? What could cyberfeminist subversions and
uses of the net consist of? What are the possibilities of the so-called
networked body or the body on-line? In thinking beyond gender and gender
discourses we find ourselves in the territory of the post-human, the
cyborg, or the hyper-cyborg, the territory of the monstrous and the
unrepresentable. With the advent of advanced biotechnology and genetic
mapping, the field of teratology has acquired whole new meanings in
medical and agricultural realms. How do things look in the physical and
non-physical realms of virtual teratology?

READ.ME: IF/ELSE
invitation to contribute to cyberfeminism. next protocols 1.0

IF you would like to know more about the ideas THE OLD BOYS NETWORK
isconcerned with while going deeper into next protocols THEN read this
alternative invitation:

 Old Boys Network (Ed.)
 CYBERFEMINISM: Next Protocols

 IF
 Cyberfeminism" is a powerful label for some vague ideas.....

 Can a word express a widespread intimation of something not yet
articulated? Yes, condensations of some vague ideas have been a part of
every genuine invention; for example, the digital computer emerged
independently and in different places at about the same historic moment.
Since about 1992 this has also been the case with CYBERFEMINISM. Yet the
success story of this word seems unprecedented. As technical as the media
named above, CYBERFEMINISM indicates a diffusion through the hitherto
thinkable and possible--a permeable membrane.
 Two masterpieces in male western cultural tradition: the woman" and the
machine", worshipped in endless - mostly male - fantasies of mechanical
women-automata or as female robots or cyborgs have in the meantime met
elsewhere under strange new conditions: Not only the male authors of
these subjects have disappeared from the stage of history, but
authorship, stage and history may themselves have disappeared, or at
least have changed their recognizable forms... Cyberfeminism" does not
indicate the necessary return of the repressed" in the male psyche of
history, but a feed-back loop in a space-time named post-human.
 Like IF, the basic element of programming languages for case
differentiation and ramification - Cyberfeminism" indicates an operation.
The feed-back loop: if x then a else b" sets an unpredictable future for
the machine's actions. Who would seriously trust such autonomous
operations? Since the war-decision programming of the 40s, almost
everybody (preferably without knowing) trusts IF-THEN commands as a means
to prophesy the immediate future. Reported errors will already have
predicted the unknown message, as a message is the transmission of
certain calculable probabilities. Metaphorically (and incorrectly)
spoken, a feminist bet could engage in the finding of some less
predictable errors - one step beyond coding - in order to trigger a
change in the immediate future of the machine's universe. Making a mess
of the message? Count differently? Change the alphabet? Calculate faster?
Rearm the hardware to devices capable of all of the first four rules of
arithmetic? Transmit viruses? Put the data of your genetic fingerprint in
an Artificial Life environment to parody literary origin myths? Live new
or ambiguous genders? The potential of this situation has not yet been
realized in relation to patriarchally coded cultural systems: yet posing
unresolvable decision problems, like the halting problem, sometimes
turning into infinite feedback- loops ...

 ELSE IF
 Cyberfeminism is a simulation....

 What will we have been wanting to say? We: some sort of strange new
feminists, trying to work out this question theoretically and politically
with the foreseen result of changing or even demolishing feminism", or
ourselves" in the way we conceive feminism" and ourselves" now. So:
Cyborg Feminisms? Cyberfeminism? With a Difference? Weaving automatic
Feminism like Jaquard's loom? Tinkering with split or second selves? We
think: IF you don't make your bets, THEN rien ne va plus... or worse:
continues in a way called progress.
 For IF the bet on what becomes reality is made by women with machines
(they'll both win), THEN history can be deciphered in the mode of future
perfect - and what will perhaps still be called women" continues to
simulate.

 At least that's what we are working with: the utopian space opened up
between the meaning and the letter, between the different lectures and
practices, between desires and facts - that is working in a zone of
passage between informational noise and modes of simulation. Coming out
of the vague.

 ELSE IF
 Cyberfeminism is not a teleology ...
 If ideal and final concepts of history in cyberfeminist visions are not
supported, there'll be alternatives to statements like the following :
...as machines get more autonomous, so do the women." or It's not
happening because people are trying to make it happen - or even because
feminist politics are driving these changes (...), but changes are
occurring almost as an automatic process. (...) It's beautifully
effortless, it's an automatic process!" (Sadie Plant) Why should
cyberfeminism identify with philosophies of history that lead to any kind
of historic fulfillment? No genuine simulation under the sign of women"
would corrupt its open structure, like proposing quite a thermodynamic
end of history as a law of nature.

 ELSE IF
 Gender is not obsolete...
 Despite suggestions that one should put hope in a "monstrous world
without gender" (Donna Haraway) why not stick to the intimate
monstrosities of sexual difference in an analytical, critical as well as
an utopian sense? Assuming that the borders between humans and
information processing machines, as between the physical and the
non-physical world and some other identity granting convictions will have
been shifting or down for quite a while - all this does not necessarily
trigger wishes of getting rid of gender, including the most interesting
monstrous female sex - the vanishing point probably even of the
perspective construction of a world without gender". So - if gender is
not obsolete, there is a stake in reformulating it under contemporary
conditions. How? Cyberfeminism encloses "Fem" in its very center -"fem"
that promising syllable which hints at gender, yet exceeds and eludes it.

 ELSE IF
 Cyberfeminism is a monster....
 We think: Cyberfeminism is a monster born of net-condition and cultural
traditions; a hybrid concept of the strange new bodies of genetechnology
and the new forms of simulation in the age of virtuality. If gender is
not obsolete, but in process of changing, then how to describe these
monstrous new sensibilities, identities, bodies - literally,
conceptually, politically...? How to perceive and create the new skin of
the hybrid new existences, both physical and non-physical? As we live in
a time of crass power consolidation through pancapitalism, as the
gendered power formations and dominating structures are being spread to
all corners of the earth by this globalization, and as information
technologies are profoundly changing lives, all this can trigger  women"
to muster all their knowledge and cunning to find ways of creating active
nodes of subversion and alternative processes on however tiny a scale. If
cyberfemininsts use the Net as a strategy and a medium for political,
cultural, and social action within decentralized information and
communication networks, what could the monstrous consequences be?

 THEN
 send your proposal to the OLD BOYS NETWORK!

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

Hiya,

For those who enjoyed my recent provocation, there are some American
comments on the piece on these sites.

The Cybercommunist Manifesto - Andrew Leonard:
<www.salon.com/tech/log/1999/09/10/cybercommunism/index.html>

Cybercommunism and the Gift Culture:
<slashdot.org/articles/99/09/10/157243.shtml>

Later,

Richard

Dr. Richard Barbrook
Hypermedia Research Centre
School of Communications, Design & Media
University of Westminster
Watford Road
Northwick Park
HARROW HA1 3TP