nettime_announcer on Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:18:29 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> announcer 99.40 [a]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
  |||||-|||||                                                      | 9 9 . 4 0 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a <<

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  b

                                                                         - - - -
        Richard Barbrook <richard@hrc.wmin.ac.uk> : October cybersalon   | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
           Jean-Philippe Halgand <jean-philippe.halgand@cec.fr> : x-00   | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
   a.s.ambulanzen@rolux.org : <rolux> allemagne neuf zero [real audio]   | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
         Kevin Taglang <kevint@benton.org> : Benton Position Available   | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
               McKenzie Wark <mwark@laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au> : INVITATION   | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
              scotartt <scot@systemx.autonomous.org> : CPSR Conference   | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
                 Elisa Rose <gunafa@well.com> : Webcast Fahrplan No.76   | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
     ostranenie finissage centrum <honor@va.com.au> : media revolution   | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
          Stephan Hüsch <huesch@vitamingb.de> : VIDEO-NET-FESTIVAL '99   | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
            Pierre Robert <probert@videotron.ca> : Archée octobre 1999   | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

part one:
cybersalon <www.cybersalon.org>

net.radio: from old media to new media and back again

plus: demonstration of new interactive work by members
of the antirom collective / romandson

part two:
wildlife records presents live music and DJs

tuesday october 26, 6.30 till late
venue: the end
18 west central street,
london wc1 1jj

cybersalon is a meeting
place for people from the new media and music industry
cost: £2 before 9pm, £4 after

hypermedia research centre: <www.hrc.wmin.ac.uk>
new media knowledge: <www.nmkadapt.co.uk>
mute: <www.metamute.com>
wildlife: <wildlife@yahoo.com>
interface: <www.pirateradio.co.uk/interface>
tmg: <www.tmg.co.uk>
irational: <www.irational.org>
bectu: <www.bectu.org.uk>

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

x-00
Lorient / FR
March 13th-19th 2000
http://www.x-arn.org/x-00/

[open topics]
Which location for human being in cyberspace ?
Rising artistic practices on  digital communication networks.  The focus
will be especially set on the connections of physical public locations and
Internet's streaming flux of data. Moreover, emphasis will be put on
transdisciplinarity within Art and Technology.
The festival itself is being "worked in progress" on the Internet.  You can
follow the process and contribute to the development of the issues by
subscribing to this mailing-list: 00@x-arn.org.  [subscription :
00@x-arn.org?subject=subscribe]

CALL FOR PROJECTS
1. Installations / Devices
- x-position
- Galerie Le Lieu [Art galery]
- March 16th- April 9th 2000

What can be considered as a commitment on the Internet ?
How can it be translocalised in a physical public exhibition space ?
Installations / Devices are expected to deal with this noticeable duality
between a network activity (global) and its transposition / extension as an
exhibition in a galery (local).

2. "Network Interface" : call for projects
- Mediatheque de Lorient [Lorient's Digital Library]
- March 13th-19th 2000

"Network Interface" is a call for projects for an hybrid public space. In
this case, the public space is Lorient's digital library which has 20
connected Pcs at the disposal of the audience.  Therefore, the selected
project will have to connect its online reality with this determined public
access although remaining of course autonomous of this physical location.
The online proposal can be extended by an installation* or by a punctual
performance in the digital library's auditorium (screening facilities).
* Installation/device will be located in the digital library 's entrance
and should consider contingencies such as : audience comings and goings,
many people passing through (not necessarily involved in New Technologies),
strong daylight, necessarily silent devices (or headphones).

Furthermore, the digital library's training space will offer access to the
websites and CD ROMs selected for the festival with 12 connected PCs .

3. Workshop

4.  Conferences / lectures / performances
- U.B.S [University of South Britanny]
- March 17th-18th 2000

Two days of conferences to explore transdisciplinarity between research
fields and possible actions using the digital networks.  Conferences /
lectures  can be processed by various medias to renew the traditionnal
conference format (ie : device and/or performance).

// application forms  :
http://www.x-arn.org/x-00/
deadline : Nov 30th 1999

Actions Reseaux Numeriques
arn@x-arn.org

______________________________________
[x-00]
file://coordination  : MAP
http://212.234.37.180/
(in activation : restricted access)

file://organisation : ARN
Actions Reseaux Numeriques
13 rue beauvais 56100 Lorient (FR)
+33 (0) 2 97 64 58 18
http://www.x-arn.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

        l e   r ê v e   d e   l ' é t a t   e s t   d ' ê t r e   s e u l

          a l o r s   q u e   l e   r ê v e   d e s   i n d i v i d u s

                         e s t   d ' ê t r e   d e u x

                  [ i m p é r a t i f   c a t é g o r i q u e ]

                                _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

                      a l l e m a g n e   n e u f   z e r o

                             [ r e a l   a u d i o ]

                                _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

                           s u n   3   o c t   1 9 9 9

                             n e w   y o r k   1 3 h

                               l o n d o n   1 8 h

                                p a r i s   1 9 h

                               m o s c o w   2 0 h

                                _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

     h t t p : / / o r a n g . o r a n g . o r g / p e r l / o r a - l i v e

          h t t p : / / w w w . a r t - b a g . n e t / c o n v e x t v

                     h t t p : / / w w w . r o l u x . o r g

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

Project Associate
AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY

The Benton Foundation seeks an individual with strong organizational and
communication skills for Open Studio: The Arts Online
<www.openstudio.org>, a million dollar national initiative between the
Benton Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts to provide
Internet access and training to artists and nonprofit arts organizations
to ensure that the communications environment of the 21st century thrives
as a source of creative excellence and diversity.  Position is located in
Washington, DC.

Responsibilities
· Maintain and update Web site resources, report on site traffic and
participate in ongoing site development;
· Maintain and update project databases, email and listserv groups and
organizational files; · Coordinate promotion of Open Studio's online
publications and educational resources; · Prepare project correspondence
and proposal materials, and administer all project mailings; · Assist in
developing presentations, proposals, and funder reports.

Education, Skills, and Qualifications
BA degree required in addition to one to three years of professional
experience in the arts and/or technology field(s).  Knowledge of arts,
nonprofit and technology issues helpful.  Candidate should be proficient
in using the Internet and WWW and in implementing HTML coding.  Also
required: general administrative and office skills and experience with MS
Word, Excel and Access software programs.  Knowledge of IMIS a plus.
Candidate should be detail-oriented, flexible and able to handle multiple
tasks simultaneously. S/he should be self-directed and able to work
effectively and efficiently under pressure. Strong interpersonal, oral,
and written communication skills are required.

Compensation
We offer a competitive, negotiated salary.  Excellent benefits, including
full health and dental insurance, four weeks vacation a year, retirement
plan, and opportunities for professional development.

To Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by October 22, 1999 to:
Open Studio Search Benton Foundation 1800 K Street NW, 2nd Floor
Washington DC 20006 Fax: 202-638-5771 Email: Eve@benton.org; please
specify Open Studio Search in Subject line. No phone calls, please.

The Benton Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.

In the body of the message, type only:
signoff upforgrabs-L

If you have any problems with the service, please direct them to
benton@benton.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

McKenzie Wark, senior lecturer in media studies at Macquarie University,
will be in London to talk about 'Celebrities, Culture and Cyberspace', the
title of latest book, now published in the UK.

The author of 'Virtual Republic' and 'Virtual Geography' has produced
another contoversal book on cultural politics.

He explores the culture of the Labor years through some of its more popular
celebrities -from Kylie Minogue, Paul Kelly, and Peter Garrett to Hawke and
Keating themselves

He can be heard at the Sir Robert Menzies Centre for Australian Studies,
University of London, 28 Russell Square on the 13th October at 5.15

INVITATION

You are invited to the European Launch
of McKenzie Wark's latest book

Celebrities, Culture & Cyberspace

On the 13th October at 5.15pm
At the
Sir Robert Menzies Centre for Australian Studies,
University of London, 28 Russell Square.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

We hope you find this of interest, and spread the word.
Thank you.

You can register online at
https://swww.igc.apc.org/cpsr/registrationForm99.html.

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility presents:

THE INTERNET GOLD RUSH OF '99:
CAN WE PAN FOR GOLD WHILE SERVING THE GOOD?
THE PURSUIT OF WEALTH AND EQUITY IN CYBERSPACE

October 2-3, 1999  (9:00 am to 5:30 pm)
Building 420 (Jordan Hall), Room 40
Stanford University, Stanford, CA

                                                      and

NORBERT WIENER AWARD RECEPTION
honoring
THE OPEN SOURCE/FREE SOFTWARE MOVEMENTS
October 2, 1999 (6:00 - 8:00 pm)
AT&T Patio (outside of Gates Hall)
Stanford University, Stanford, CA

THE CONFERENCE:
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2
8:15 - 9:00 am    Registration
9:00 - 9:15  am    Welcome

9:15 - 10:15 am
KEYNOTE: HISTORICAL AMNESIA IN THE SILICON GOLD RUSH
Dr. Gray Brechin
The chance to get rich in new communications technology has led
many to liken it to the California Gold Rush.  A more apt metaphor
would be the Comstock Lode and its intimate embrace with the San
Francisco Stock Market.  Dr. Gray Brechin will examine the forgotten
social and environmental costs of the Comstock speculative frenzy
and its parallels with Silicon Valley today.

10:15 - 10:30 am   Break
10:30 - 12:00 pm
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AND FINANCIAL SUCCESS - OXYMORON?
Panelists discuss their experiences in pursuing financial success while
supporting the public good.  Topics include socially-responsible
venture capital financing, the evolution of public-interest enterprises
into commercial firms, and public-interest start-ups that suffered
financial failure.  Are social responsibility and financial success
mutually exclusive, or do new ventures provide models that can be
applied elsewhere?

12:00 - 1:30 pm  Lunch
1:30 - 3:00 pm
THE DIGITAL DIVIDE: IS THE INTERNET AS
GREAT EQUALIZER LOSING GROUND?
Despite dropping computer costs and a wide range of online
providers, recent reports show that the digital divide still exists, both
for economic and social reasons.  These panelists all have experience
with trying to bridge the digital divide.  Are we really providing
enough opportunity to those who are still not connected?  To what
extent have our efforts been successful? Does the commercial FreePC
movement help or hurt these efforts?

3:00 - 3:15 pm Break
3:15 - 4:45 pm
SOFTWARE AT THE CROSSROADS: OPEN-SOURCE
SOFTWARE AND THE UNIFORM COMPUTER INFORMATION
TRANSACTIONS ACT (UCITA)
Tomorrow's computing may well be determined by its choice of
software development methods.  The proposed UCITA would enhance
the proprietary approach of private industry while reducing the rights
of software consumers. The Open Source Movement, recently
discovered and highly acclaimed by the public and press, thrives using
a very different mode of software development.  This panel will
explore the potential effects both of these initiatives will have on
computing in the future.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2, 6:00-8:00PM

RECEPTION AND WIENER AWARD CEREMONY
AT&T Patio (outside of Gates Hall)
Stanford University, Stanford, CA

CPSR's prestigious Norbert Wiener Award for Social Responsibility in
Computing Technology is being awarded to the Open Source/Free Software
Movements. This movements profoundly challenge the belief that
market mechanisms are always best-suited for unleashing
technological innovation.  These voluntary and collaborative models for
software development are providing a true alternative to proprietary,
closed software.

Recognizing that successful "movements" include many, many
contributors, the Wiener Award will be given to four components
of the Free Software/Open Source Movements.

Richard Stallman will accept on behalf of the Free Software Movement's
GENESIS.

Accepting on behalf of the Movement's VISION is Eric Raymond,
author of "The Cathedral and the Bazaar."

Larry Wall, creator of the Perl programming language will accept on
behalf of the PROGRAMMING effort.

Brian Behlendorf of O'Reilly and Associates and the Apache Project
will accept on behalf of the PROMOTION and DOCUMENTATION efforts.

CPSR is happy to honor Al Whaley at this year's Wiener Reception for his
incredible and crucial contributions to CPSR's day to day well- being.
Al has quietly toiled behind the scenes hosting our email and many e-lists,
and safeguarding our web site for many years.

Conference Committee Karen Coyle, Paul Czyzewski, Jeff Johnson,
     Coralee Whitcomb, Susan Evoy

Stanford Visitor Information  http://www.stanford.edu/home/visitors

Check in at http://www.cpsr.org/ for updates

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

Station Rose/STReaming  WEBCAST Fahrplan____ No.76 plus <Playing Now TOUR>
starting

Dear Gunafa Netizen!
here is the new Station Rose webcasting Sende-Fahrplan at
http://www.stationrose.com
plus the Tour Dates-

(A) Webcast No.76 FRI/1.10.99/9pm CET
________________________________
will happen in  realtime -20sec. one day before the tour starts. the
ultimate online generalprobe.
the title of the newest composition is "ohne titel".
check the spirit out @home - 24 hours before the 1st gig on the road.

During the webcasts we shall keep the STR-Community door open:
The Frankfurt Conference at <http://www.minds.com> lets you chat & post.
Come in !
____

(B)<playing now world tour>:
==================================
With the release of the new Station Rose CD <Playing now> we start to tour
this Saturday, Oct. 2nd, at Earth Dance Festival in Hamburg.
http://www.freeform.de/Events/
This tour will see Station Rose perform hi+lo, as we believe in spreading
gunafa shall not be confirmed to one outlet: galleries, underground, club
culture, media festivals. Please check out dates at www.stationrose.com.
Dates for performances in the US will be published in October.

Station Rose LIVE.
http://www.stationrose.com/playing_now_card.jpg
When performing LIVE, Elisa Rose (visuals) & Gary Danner (music) set up a
virtual room made out of "son et lumiere", a multimedia setting consisting
of sounds & visuals.
STR perform live and produce as a Multimedia Band in the unique Station
Rose method. A multimedia jam session begins as a flow, - improvising on
patterns and structures developed during sessions & webcasts on
<www.stationrose.com>.

Rose and Danner see the multimedia art of Station Rose as a new development
succeeding techno, where the artist/musician will create not only music,
but various forms of audiovisual content, and performs at diverse locations
(festivals, galleries and museums, underground and the internet) and
produces in several media (vinyl, CD, CD ROM, video, DVD, internet, book
etc.). Station Rose perform as a multimedia band since 1988, having played
at Ars Electronica, Transmediale, Museum Ludwig, Cyberthon, XS & SpacePlace
club, the museum of applied arts in Vienna, to name a few.
Due to the dates of the tour we will have an irregular Webcasting-schedule
in October.
So here are the next WEBCAST-dates:

Webcast Nr.76: Friday Oct. 1st 9 p.m. CET, Live online Rehearsal for
performance next day.

As we will perform live in Vienna at Trabant gallery Oct. 8th, the next
date will be

Webcast Nr. 77: Tuesday Oct. 5th 9 p.m. CET.@home.

looking forward to see you &/or on tour+online !
;-)
The actual "STReaming_Gunafa_99_Schedule" & the tour-dates can be found at
www.stationrose.com.
STR is one of the 1st web_stations in germany/europe, sending Art on a
regular basis. Important: as the sessions are realtime multimedia art, they
are not archived. be there in time!
STR is one of the 1st multiemdia bands in the world and is online since 91.

STATION ROSE hypermedia_art (Elisa Rose/visuals & Gary Danner/music)
           - Frankfurt (headquarter) - Cyberspace  - Vienna.
*  webcasting in realtime -20sec <http://www.stationrose.com>
* "Playing Now" CD, "live @home" VINYL out now; "PN-world tour" starting 10/99
* "1st decade" (1988-98) - Das BUCH. edition selene. ISBN: 3-85266-082-3
* STR-Community: the Frankfurt Conference <http://www.minds.com>

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

The Electronic Media Interpretation studio - Bauhaus Dessau Foundation -
invite you to:

****** THE OSTRANENIE FINISSAGE ! *******
       http://www.ostranenie.org

- THE MEDIA REVOLUTION SYMPOSIUM

- PUBLICATION & CD ROM LAUNCH

- TWILIGHT CHAMPAGNE CELEBRATIONS

SATURDAY OCTOBER 30 1999
10:00 - 21:00

Aula, Bauhaus Dessau Foundation, Germany

A celebration of the publication of , 'Media Revolution' / 'Ost West
Internet', and the wrap up event in the series of international electronic
media forums, 'ostranenie'.

.. background .

This event is the final episode in the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation's series
of international media fora, "ostranenie". It will examine the background
and effects of Europe's Media Revolution, by exploring the role played by
the electronic media in eastern and central Europe's uncertain and
long-from-complete transformation process.

.. media revolution & ostranenie

Culminating the ostranenie media art events, a publication, 'Media
Revolution' / 'Ost West Internet', investigating the links between the
electronic broadcast image and the process of democratisation as
experienced during the 1990s in Europe, has been produced. The book is in
both German and English.

'Ostranenie', the term coined by the Russian Formalist Victor Shklovski in
1916, implies a manner in which the process of art alters or skews our
perception of society and being. 24 internationally recognised authors have
contribued texts: Stephen Kovats, Dr. Barabara Barsch, Ryszard
Kluszczinski, Lev Manovich, Gerrit Gohlke, Derrick de Kerkhove, Miklos
Peternak, Calin Dan, Siegfried Zielinski, David Hudson, Gary Schaal,
Kostadina Iordanova, Nina Czegledy, Eric Kluitenberg, Hans Ulrich Reck,
Inke Arns, Apsolutno Art Association,  Dejan Sretenovic, Ivo Skoric, Geert
Lovink, Keiko Sei, Marina Grzinic, and Andreas Broeckmann.

Accompanying the publication, the works of over 500 hundred artists and
writers from over 40 countries, who actively participated in the three
ostranenie media art events between 1993 and 1997, have been compiled into
a new multimedia CDROM (produced by the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation in
cooperation with the C3 Center for Culture and Communication in Budapest).
Both the book and CD ROM, illustrate the impact of Shklovski's term in the
context of a new media age, wherein global telecommunications have altered
the manner in which individuals and societies interact with and understand
one another. Together they provide one of the most complete overviews into
electronic media arts and society at the close of the twentieth century.

Supported by the MDM - Mitteldeutsche Medienforderung GmbH, Leipzig
Published by the Campus Verlag (Frankfurt / New York) as number 6 of the
Edition Bauhaus. Publication ISBN 3-593-36365-8 CD ROM ISBN 3-910022-30-8
Price: Book + CD = DM78, 40euro, US$45, 5000 JPY
CD ROM only = DM 20, 10 euro, US$12, 1500 JPY
Order through: Stiftung Bauhaus Dessau, Gropiusallee 38, D - 06846 Dessau

.. the media revolution symposium and finissage

In the chaotic race to "Westernise" Europe, broadcast media have been key
in deciding the battles of nationalist rhetoric, ethnic flash wars and
economic struggles. Is there a role for the artist in shaping the outcome
of these conflicts, while at the same time supporting the process of
democratisation? The channels of electronic telecommunications -  radio,
TV, and the internet - have cut a swath across traditional culture and
geopolitical zones, connecting today's society, and transforming art,
politics, press and propaganda. The establishment of a new and open civil
society, along with the greater task of cementing European integration is
dependent on the choice of media strategy and an effective use of
electronic networks. Ultimately the use of media to reshape the structure
and face of society in this region has been a process of the estrangement
of long established norms, and can be seen as a post Cold War spin on the
Shklovski term"priëm ostranenija".

Saturday October 30, 1999

part i) symposium

10.00 Prof. Dr. Omar Akbar, Bauhaus Foundation Director - Welcoming address

10.15 Stephen Kovats, Berlin, Germany - Introduction

10.30 Dr. Lev Manovich, San Diego, USA - Avant-garde as Software

11.15 Stephen Kovats - ostranenie: mythologies of media estrangement

12.00 lunch break

13.30   Prof. Miklos Peternak, Budapest, Hungary - What happens when TV
time is over?

14.15 Dr. Kostadina Iordanova, Leicester, UK - Mediated Concerns: the New
Europe in Hypertext

15.00 coffee break

15.30 Andreas Broeckmann, Berlin, Germany  - Small Channels for Deep Europe

16.15 Apsolutno Art Association, Novi Sad, Yugoslavia - The Semiotics of
Confusion

17.00 VHS, Tirana, Albania - The Video Heroes Shqipetare

The symposium will be in English with simultanous translation into German.

part ii) CDROM presentation & finissage

19.00 Nina Czegledy, Toronto, Canada - introduction / einleitung

19.30 Stephen Kovats, Inke Arns, Oliver Blomeier - CD ROM presentation
&video selection: ostranenie 93, 95, 97

21.00 the ostranenie champagne finissage with special guests
- The Love Hunters & Balint Szombathy, Novi Sad, Yugoslavia
- disko diskurs VIII

part iii)  Sunday October 31 1999

11.00 the ostranenie Hallowe'en pancake brunch

** a limited number of rooms for free overnight accommodation may be
arranged. Please let us know if and when you are coming **

** Apologies to anyone who receives this message more than once. **

For further information and for registration, please contact:

Stephen Kovats and/or Honor Harger

EMI Studio
Bauhaus Dessau Foundation
Gropiusallee 38
D - 06846 Dessau
Germany
PH: + 49 340 6508 313
FX: + 49 340 6508 326

email: kovats@kolleg.bauhaus-dessau.de, honor@va.com.au
http://www.ostranenie.org/

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

VIDEO-NET-FESTIVAL `99

Art-On Berlin and vitaminb. are organizing a video and film festival in
the internet.

Anyone interested is encouraged to send us their video and film
submissions. We are looking for contributions of artistically innovative
quality. It could be an interactive movie, or a linear film, but it must
be moving pictures.
A jury will name the final festival participants.
The jury: Leonie Baumann (director of NGBK), Lothar Hempel (artist),
Joachim Sauter (founding member of ART+COM e.V., professor for designing
with digital media at HdK, Berlin.), Thorsten Schilling (cultural
manager, Mikro Lounge), Ute Ziegler (arthistorian, Büro 213).
Hard and software (Director 7) prizes will be awarded.

The festival will open with a public presentation in Berlin in November,
1999. The festival contributions will be shown in the internet.

Please send in your submissions by October 21, 1999. Use our
announcement. (to find: www.video.vitaminb.net ).

The submission should be 500 KB, however not larger than 1.4 MB.
Only digital, internet standard material in the program formats
Quicktime, Shockwave, Realmedia (streaming video) and Java, Perl, etc.,
can be considered.

You will find information about data formats and tools at www.apple.com
,
www.macromedia.com  and www.real.com .

More detailed information about the VIDEO-NET-VESTIVAL '99 will be
available
at www.video.vitaminb.net or www.art-on.de and www.vitaminb.de .

Stephan Hüsch   Dr. Peter Funken

Only contributions suitable for the internet will be accepted.
What does 'suitable for the internet' mean?

Regarding content:

The works must conform to the extended and limited possibilities of the
internet. Since aspects of the content are very subjective, our
statements remain vague. A sculpture can be effective in an enclosed
space, but could fail or be drowned in an open one. The inclusion of the
context plays an essential role in the internet.

a)The works have to make sense on a 17-inch monitor.
b)A work for the net should function in the internet and not merely
document would be under different circumstances.
c)The greatest limitation in the net is the slow transfer of files.
A possible way to deal with this would be, for example, using the Loop
or
Browserwindow itself as content by opening, positioning and closing
(possible with JavaScript). (This is meant purely as example.)

Technical:

The loading procedure may not take too long. A current computer, around
two years old, with a Browser 4 (plus Plugins) has to be capable of
interpreting images.

a)The file should be as small as possible.
b)If the file is, however, larger than can be reasonably expected for a
Streaming means that during the loading procedure, the files that have
already Been loaded are played. The total data files are no longer
necessary in order to Begin interpreting the information or image.
Current streaming formats are RealMedia and Shockwave.
c)Interactive works have to be programmed in such a way that the Browser
4 (plus Plugins) can interpret the application without problems.

The current file formats are:

a)RealMedia: RealMedia is a streaming format. It needs a player. You can
ransform current, digital video and audio formats into a streaming
format with the help of an encoder A corresponding server (costs money)
provides for the streaming proccess. This server can be by-passed by
integrating the file in an Html-document with help from Java (we can do
this for you). You can download the player(Realplayer G-2) as well as
the decoder at no cost, at www.real.com . You can find the encoder (very
difficult to find) all the way at the bottom of the start page on the
right side under "find".

b)Shockwave: Shockwave is also a streaing format. It needs a
browser-plugin.
Schockwave can be generated with either the program Flash or with
Director. These programs serve not only as transformers but also create
files. With both programs, linear and complex interactive applications
can be produced. You can find further information at www.macromedia.com
.

c) Quicktime: Quicktime  is the original Macintosh video format. Apple
offers a player (at no cost), which in the meantime can be found on
nearly every pc. During the player's installation routine, a plugin is
installed in the browser. Theoretically, Quicktime 4 also offers
streaming, however, only with an apple server with the corresponding
software. Hardly any provider offers this. Neither does ours,
unfortunately. You can find further information at
www.apple.com .

d)Java: Java s a complex, platform-independent progamming language.
In our context, it's only for experienced programmers.

e) JavaScript:  JavaScript is not Java, but rather a script language,
which can be embedded in HTML and which, with certain web browsers
(Netscape, Internet-Explorer), implements dynamic functions and actions
within the web-browser.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

Archée, revue d'art <en ligne>

Sommaire du mois d'octobre 1999

>>> La 4e Manifestation Internationale Vidéo et Art électronique, qui s’est
tenue à Montréal du 20 au 26 septembre 1999 dans une usine désaffectée aux
allures gothiques, nous a inspiré quelques réflexions médiatiques et
théoriques sur la vidéo. De la télévision à l'art vidéo, de McLuhan à
Couchot, et surtout de l'impact pénétrant de la dimension sonore dans le
visuel comme un des termes contemporains du déplacement médiatique. ->
Pierre Robert
>>> http://archee.qc.ca/ar.php3?btn=texte&no=85

>>> De l'écoute passive à l'écoute active, notes sur trois créations
élaborées à partir d'interfaces sonores et interactives. On y aborde les
performances musicales de l'artiste compositeur japonais Atau Tanaka, le
projet Sonic Interface du Japonais Akitsugu Maebayashi, présenté dans le
cadre de la 4e Manifestation Internationale Vidéo et Art électronique, ainsi
que l'œuvre Son en vrac, une installation sonore de l'artiste montréalais
Jean-Pierre Gauthier. -> Kathleen Goggin
>>> http://archee.qc.ca/ar.php3?btn=texte&no=84

>>> Deux réalisations multimédias, l'une conçue par Monique Savoie et Luc
Courchesne et l'autre par François Girard, récemment présentées à Montréal,
analysées et comparées du point de vue de l'interactivité et des effets
qu'elles produisent sur le spectateur. -> Richard Barbeau
>>> http://archee.qc.ca/ar.php3?btn=texte&no=82

>>> Archée accueille une première oeuvre sur son serveur, Références de
Ricardo Eglesias. Initialement inspiré du livre de Jules Verne Le tour du
monde en 80 jours, ce projet sollicitait la participation d’autant de
serveurs pour héberger autant de répliques de cette œuvre labyrinthique
dédiée au Web. Plus d’une quarantaine de sites à vocation artistique et de
villes correspondantes à travers le monde ont répondu positivement à l'appel
de l’artiste espagnol : Salem - Kyoto - Linz - Toulouse - Ottawa -
Thessaloniki - Moscow - San Francisco - Bombay - Prague - Maribor - Ciudad
Real - Alejandria - Auckland - Montréal - etc. Présentation du projet. ->
Pierre Robert
>>> http://archee.qc.ca/ar.php3?btn=texte&no=86

Bonne lecture et bon parcours sur le Web !

> N'hésitez pas à nous contacter !

L'équipe
Pierre Robert / rédacteur en chef
Richard Barbeau / rédacteur adjoint