nettime's_roving_reporter on Thu, 7 Oct 1999 02:57:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> cyber-communism

[In just one month Richard Barbrook's seminal Cybercommunism manifesto,
posted in four long installments on nettime [Mon, 6 Sep 1999 00:56:56
+0000], appears to have triggered a revolutionary shift in the
consciousness of the average net user. He (as we learned from the
manifesto gender issues are completely irrelevant in the current
installment of communism) is beginning to develop from revolutionary
subject in himself to fully conscious subject for himself. Witness to this
shift are two major initiatives which have surfaced recently.
Cybercommunism[TM] and the First Cybercommunist International.

To the uninitiated, this might seem confusing, a revolutionary organization
and what appears to be a transnational corporation fighting for the same
course. But read the manifesto again. It contains all you need to know. No
matter what its all the same. Technological determinism is saving us all.
Even the dumbest American does actively contribute to the creation of
Cybercommunism. And now, they know it and are working even more keenly on
it, just, poor Americans, the only way to organize they can think of is to
incorporate!

Never mind. Just go to sleep the Internet will take care of things. And if
you sleep long enough, you will wake up in utopia itself. This sure ain't
Kansas here! There is just one little nagging question here, a minor detail
to help history find it itself. Can there be Cybercommunism in only one
domain? ]

1.... CyberCommunism[TM]
2.... Statement of the First Cybercommunist International

Subject: THE GIF ECONOMY: How Several Layers of Lossy Images Are
Synthesized into a Moving Image that Will Animate the Masses and
Inspire Them to Do What They're Doing Anyway, Namely, Clicking
Their Way to Liberation; Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and
Love the Californian Ideology

<-----! DECLARE ALL VARIABLES !----->

HAUNTED_VARIABLE = ( EUROPE | WORLD | NET)

<-----! END DECLARE ALL VARIABLES !----->

Just imagine...a specter is haunting HAUNTED_VARIABLE for the
second time. Luckily, if it's a tragedy the first time, the second
time around it's only a farce - so fear not: no more messy dogmatic
truths, state bureaucracies, apparatuses of oppression, proxy
wars, or national collapses. CyberCommunism[TM] GUARANTEES
you won't have to change a single setting, preference, or property
in order to build a communist society! You can contribute DIRECTLY
to the construction of a workers' paradise on a GLOBAL scale from
the comfort and privacy of your own home or office WHENEVER you
feel like it - just by surfing the Internet!

And you don't even need to visit any special sites, click on any
banners, or read do anything else you don't want to do. At
CyberCommunism[TM], we don't care whether you're downloading
kiddyporn or providing desperately needed Windows security advice
on the BUGTRAQ mailing list - it's all the same to us! Because no
matter what you do or where you go, you're participating in the
new GIFT ECONOMY. (And definitely don't be fooled: the GIFT
ECONOMY may be new, but it's *not* the "new economy" all those
Stalinismo-Californian-French-Post-Structuralist-Neoliberal-
Conservatives are always blowing smoke about.)

Now, if you're thinking to yourself, "I thought EVERYONE
participates in the gift economy ANYWAY, whether they like it or
not," you're *absolutely right*. So why should you join the
swelling ranks of CyberCommnunism[TM]? Well, we'll tell you - just
compare CyberCommnunism[TM]'s features and benefits with the old
Stalinismo-Californian-French-Post-Structuralist-Neoliberal-
Conservatism competition:

FEATURES

     CyberCommunism[TM]                   Stalinismo-Californian-
                                          French-Poststructuralist-
                                          Neoliberal-Conservatism
     ------------------                   -----------------------

     100% digital                         all analog
     point-and-click                      command and control
     relative definitions                 absolute truths
     positive dialectics                  negative dialectics
     artisanal                            proletarian
     creative                             conformist
     simple                               complicated
     love                                 hate
     good                                 bad
     take                                 give
     new                                  old
     :)                                   :(
     __________________                   _______________________
     double-plus fun!                     double-plus UNfun!

BENEFITS

     CyberCommunism[TM]                   Stalinismo-Californian-
                                          French-Poststructuralist-
                                          Neoliberal-Conservatism
     ------------------                   -----------------------

     you'll make friends                  you'll make enemies
     you'll feel good                     you'll feel bad
     you'll be right                      you'll be wrong
     YOU are doing it anyway!             THEY are doing it anyway!

The fact of the matter is that the old Stalinismo-Californian-
French-Post-Structuralist-Neoliberal-Conservatism wasn't able to
bring about the Information Revolution - it could only stand in the
way of the INEVITABLE march of PROGRESS. But CyberCommunism[TM] is
different: it was *caused* by the Information Revolution! At
CyberCommunistInternational[TM], we're not stupid enough to fight
the power: we conquered it - by *giving in*. And you should too!

Still not convinced? Well, let us tell you some of the FREE GIFTS
you'll receive if you sign up:

     - porn, warez, MP3s, hacking/phreaking filez
     - jokes, strange news stories, URGENT VIRUS WARNINGS, and
     wacky urban legends, and sign-on letters so authentic that
     you can actually see the aura left by thousands of your
     fellow CyberCommunist[TM] comrades ("> >> >>>>> >>")
     - vital announcements about new GIFTS and rare opportunities
     to "MMF"
     - surprising letters from old friends and family members
     you thought you'd never hear from again
     - invitations from intriguing foreign visitors to stay in
     your own living room for "a few days"
     - interesting exercises in typography and creative new
     ways to spell words you thought you knew

We bet you're thinking something like "But I get those anyway!"

Well, you may *think* you do, but in fact you really *don't*...

Here's how it works. If you haven't joined the CyberCommunism[TM],
you are LABORING under the DELUSIONS of a FALSE CONSCIOUSNESS! So
even if these things objectively enter your mailbox, you don't
understand them - or anything else for that matter! But when you
sign up for CyberCommunism[TM], we'll give you a FREE login and
password to access our patent-pending TrueConsciousness[TM]-
enabled website, where you can find out everything you need to
know.

To help you to control your destiny - and to receive a FREE GIFT -
we need to know a little bit of information about you: