David Mandl on Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:12:10 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Monsanto gives up Terminator

Hmmm...I read about this in the Guardian (UK) yesterday, and I could have
sworn that Monsanto said R&D on these seeds was not stopping at all.  As I
recall, they said that they were cutting the budget way back and not
pushing this stuff publicly, but that they were going to continue the
work.  Either way, what they'll probably do is wait a few years until the
political/social environment is friendlier, or resistance to this sort of
thing has let up a bit, and start the push again.  They've got all the
time in the world, unfortunately.

In the meantime, this is a major victory--thanks almost exclusively to
activists outside the U.S., where virtually no one even seems to be aware
of the issue.

   --Dave.

> DECCAN HERALD <Picture>Wednesday, October 6, 1999

[...]

--
Dave Mandl
dmandl@panix.com