0111001100010011011011010001010 on Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:31:21 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ITALIAN VANDALS

http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,2320,26437,00.html

ITALIAN VANDALS

http://www.0100101110101101.ORG

The web site of three young italian artists who hack other artists
Internet sites

by Catherine Bédarida

More than a presentation of works, almost absent, ZAC presented to the
Museum of Modern Art seems, most of all, a space for information and
meeting round the invited artistic structures, in a context less alive
than the hosts themselves. Stuck on the walls, left in piles on the tables
or even on the ground itself, tens of flyers squared, rectangular, shaped
like a box of matches or postcards, are at visitors’ disposal. You can
find everything:  announcements of exhibitions, visiting cards of graphic
designers, suggestions (“Humour problems? Sonorous solutions”), addresses
of hairdressers-artists...  [...] Besides its function of information, the
ZAC festival becomes every day a place for debates and performances that
allow young artists to get in touch with each other. “We are vandals, or
maybe constructors”, thus three young Italians presented themselves during
the first week-end. Remaining anonymous, they claimed their strategy of
hacking other artists’site, during a debate on art and Internet. “We
refuse the notion of author in Internet, because the author, is the net,
is the interactivity, for interactivity we don’t not mean the mouse’s
click but human decision”. In their site (0100101110101101.org), you can
find the traces of their polemic with a private american gallery which
defends its rights, included the ones in Internet. “Internet must remain
free from these problems of fakes, plagiarism, rights which have invaded
the art market”, protest the “vandals”. The Dutch artist Jodi, author of a
very imaginific site which bears the same name, also hacked by the
anonymous of 01, didn’t want to face them.