t byfield on Fri, 22 Oct 1999 02:26:56 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: HAPPY JAM ECHELON DAY!!

[originally To: "n5m3-debates-l@waag.org" <n5m3-debates-l@waag.org>]

--- The Next 5 Minutes 3 Public Debates List -- http://www.n5m.org ---

this isn't a list of what interests surveillance forces, it's
a list of what interests american leftists. ('oliver north'?
why not 'watergate' or even 'teapot dome scandal'?) but that
doesn't quite capture it, even: really, it read like a sort
of informatic version of a medieval bestiary or heresiology--
a _summa_ of the specters and bogeys who formed the lesser
pantheon, all connected through webs of resemblance and fili-
ation. i think it's now fairly well established that, for
example, intercourse with the woman 'superior' doesn't lead
to an infant being born backwards; and i think it's widely
accepted that that older belief was a very literal expression
of the subordination of women. i trust that, in time, we will
also recognize that the main function of 'surveillance'--at
least as regards his hodgepodge--is not what it actually ac-
complishes but, rather, the ways in which its specter serves
to dampen and distort human activity.

not only are you actively engaged in a propagating profound
misunderstanding of how surveillance systems work; and not
only is this 'hacktivist' meme far more useful in providing
surveillance agencies with a case study in propagation and
participation networks and densities; and not only are you
transparently projecting american cultural globs onto an
international, intercultural network (of course 'because the
surveillors are american' etc.); and not only are you pro-
moting a warm-fuzzy one-day exercise where constant effort
is needed; but, worst of all, you're promoting a shrill
paranoia whose main fruit is to undermine bonds of trust
*even if someone is listening*.

pfft.

rdom@thing.net (Thu 10/21/99 at 11:01 AM -0400):

> NSA KEYWORDS LIST:
>
> FBI CIA THING NSA IRS ATF RHIZOME BATF DOD
> NET ART WACO NETTIME RUBY RIDGE OKC OKLAHOMA
> CITY MILITIA GUN HANDGUN MILGOV
> ASSAULT RIFLE TERRORISM BOMB PIZZAS DRUG HORIUCHI
> KORESH DAVIDIAN KAHL POSSE COMITATUS RANDY
> WEAVER VICKIE WEAVER SPECIAL FORCES LINDA
> THOMPSON SPECIAL OPERATIONS GROUP SOG SOF
> DELTA FORCE CONSTITUTION MOM BILL OF RIGHTS
> WHITEWATER POM PARK ON METER ARKANSIDE IRAN
> CONTRAS OLIVER NORTH VINCE FOSTER PROMIS
> MOSSAD NASA MI5 ONI CID AK47 M16 C4 MALCOLM X
> REVOLUTION CHEROKEE HILLARY BILL CLINTON GORE
> GEORGE BUSH WACKENHUT TERRORIST TASK FORCE
> 160 SPECIAL OPS 12TH GROUP 5TH GROUP SF
> animal rights direct action sabotage assassination  palestinians fuse
> NASA Ames Research Facility McDonalds secret service office on L street
> FBI office on H St ELF Earth Liberation Front Unabomber
> Rewson, SAFE, Waihopai, INFOSEC, ASPIC, MI6, Information Security, SAI,
> Information Warfare, IW, IS, Privacy, Information Terrorism, Terrorism
> Defensive Information, Defense Information Warfare, Offensive
> Information,
> Offensive Information Warfare, The Artful Dodger, NAIA, SAPM, ASU, ASTS,
>
> National Information Infrastructure, InfoSec, SAO, Reno, Compsec, JICS,
> Computer Terrorism, Firewalls, Secure Internet Connections, RSP, ISS,
> JDF,
> Ermes, Passwords, NAAP, DefCon V, RSO, Hackers, Encryption, ASWS, CUN,
> CISU,
> CUSI, M.A.R.E., MARE, UFO, IFO, Pacini, Angela, Espionage, USDOJ, NSA,
> CIA,
> S/Key, SSL, FBI, Secert Service, USSS, Defcon, Military, White House,
> Undercover, NCCS, Mayfly, PGP, SALDV, PEM, resta, RSA, Perl-RSA, MSNBC,
> bet,
> AOL, AOL TOS, CIS, CBOT, AIMSX, STARLAN, 3B2, BITNET, SAMU, COSMOS,
> DATTA,
> Furbys, E911, FCIC, HTCIA, IACIS, UT/RUS, JANET, ram, JICC, ReMOB,
> LEETAC,
> UTU, VNET, BRLO, SADCC, NSLEP, SACLANTCEN, FALN, 877,
> NAVELEXSYSSECENGCEN,
> BZ, CANSLO, CBNRC, CIDA, JAVA, rsta, Active X, Compsec 97, RENS, LLC,
> DERA,
> JIC, rip, rb, Wu, RDI, Mavricks, BIOL, Meta-hackers, ^?, SADT, Steve
> Case,
> Tools, RECCEX, Telex, Aldergrove, OTAN, monarchist, NMIC, NIOG, IDB,
> MID/KL,
> NADIS, NMI, SEIDM, BNC, CNCIS, STEEPLEBUSH, RG, BSS, DDIS, mixmaster,
> BCCI,
> BRGE, Europol, SARL, Military Intelligence, JICA, Scully, recondo,
> Flame,
> Infowar, FRU, Bubba, Freeh, Archives, ISADC, CISSP, Sundevil, jack,
> Investigation, JOTS, ISACA, NCSA, ASVC, spook words, RRF, 1071, Bugs
> Bunny,
> Verisign, Secure, ASIO, Lebed, ICE, NRO, Lexis-Nexis, NSCT, SCIF, FLiR,
> JIC,
> bce, Lacrosse, Flashbangs, HRT, IRA, EODG, DIA, USCOI, CID, BOP, FINCEN,

> [...]

- To unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe n5m3-debates-l"
- to majordomo@waag.org
-
- Archive: http://www.n5m.org/mail-archive/hypermail2/

----- Backwarded