nettimes_digestive_system on Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:37:25 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Chechnya commentary digest (2x)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:26:00 -0700
From: Jeff Gandy <jeff@mindspear.com>

> In Chechenya, Russians combined the ugliest elements of two military
> doctrines: of a superpower like the U.S. - the propensity to fight their
> war >from the air and from the safe distance,

It's rather bizarre how you can classify this as "the ugliest element of
war".  I rather think that the ugliest element would hardly consist of
precision guided munitions.  Instead, it would probably consist of a
demand of unilateral surrender under the threat of nuclear destruction,
and the willingness to follow through on the threat.

There is hardly a "pretty" side to any war.  If you live in the hope of
seeing some strategic element that you can slap that moniker on - you will
be waiting a long time.

There is much more hope in seeing an elimination of war.  Even that is
certainly a vague, distant hope, and most likely unachievable as long as
there are dictators on the planet.

Respectfully,

Jeff A. Gandy