Luther Blissett Project Newz on Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:50:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Oz's talking about Luther Blissett

After I was interviewed by Jason Di Rosso on Australia's ABC national
radio station, an interesting discussion on the LBP started on their
website's "media responsibility forum", which is accessible from
abc.net.au/ by clicking on "radio national" and then on "forum". I could
answer some questions about copyright and alleged "ambiguities" (e.g. the
issues raised by McKenzie Wark), however, I'm about to commit seppuku, and
I'm more interested in a zen approach - why try to set the records
"straight"?  Blissetts will find their own ways.

From: McKenzie Wark (panellist) 23/11/99 14:59:17

Subject: re: Copyright post id: 533

I like the idea of calling everyone who appears on the ABC Luther
Blissett! Maybe there should be a Blissett day, where everything is by
Luther.

Copyright is very weak protection. With writing, it really only protects
very specific structures of words. Nothing stops another writer borrowing
a story or some other element and messing with it. What's a lot more
complicated is the protection of recorded media such as film, which is a
cumbersome system.  The idea of copyright has always been about striking a
balance between protecting the rights of the creator with the rights of
other people to use the work to create something new, and the rights of
the public to have access to works that might be of benefit.

McKenzie

From: McKenzie Wark (panellist) 23/11/99 14:53:12

Subject: re: Luther Blissett post id: 530

There's some ambiguities in the Blissett project -- is it OK to use
someone's name against their will, for example? Blissett wasn't too happy
about it.  How would you feel if someone started using your name for
things you might have nothing to do with.

The other problem is that if there is no protection at all for the artist,
then how can anyone make a living? It's not just companies that own
copyrights. I kinda like the Luther Blissett cd project, where artists
contribute music and the cd goes out under the name of Luther Blissett. It
poses all these nice ambiguities about authorship. But is compete
disregard of all copyright really a good policy?  In the end, it benefits
the owners of the means of distribution. If content were free. they'd
still be charging for access to it, but the content creators wouldn't see
a cent.

McKenzie

<http://www.syntac.net/lutherblissett>
A clear, thorough LB primer - English

<http://www.LutherBlissett.net>
The (in)Complete Archives 1994-99 - Italian/English

<http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Leftbank/6815>
Luther Blissett and the "Huelga de Arte"(Art strike 2000-2001) - Spanish

<http://www.contrast.org/kg>
Luther Blissett and Kommunikationsguerilla - German