Matthew Smith on Wed, 24 Nov 1999 06:51:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> e-LITISM (UK and beyond)

hi guys

i just wanted to add some of my own observations, after just being hooked
up with major bandwidth again.

i live in the statiscally poorest neighbourhood in canada, the "V6A 1G4"
postal code in Vancouver BC. but even here it is possible to get hooked up
to ADSL or cable, so we (my roomates and me) are. it comes down to be
cheaper per person than getting dialup-access for everybody, even though
calls arnt metered here. at the same time we are using a number of
computers on this line that have a gross value of MAYBE 500$. So even my
roomate Taki, who hasnt worked for years and isnt even on wellfare can get
online if he wants to, for about 10$ a month.

so at least here on the westcoast of northamerica the "trickle down"
effect is actually happening, i have no money but loads of computersin
different states of cannibalisation - i also have a car, which cost less
to purchase than a reasonable bicycle. for the same price of a used TV i
can buy a computer that will atleast deal with email and a 14.4 modem.
so my choice is clear, i dont have TV.
it is not a privilege to be on the net here, it seems, it is a privilege
to NOT be working on or with computers, it is a priviledge for employees
to be in the office and call their underlings on the company CELLFONE.
obviously my neighbours, mainly crack & heroin junkies that live in
expensive rooming houses on a dedicated rent check issued by the
government dont get online, mainly becuz they dont have a "credit history"
that is satisfactory for the fone company to give them a line or a ISP to
give them an account. HERE is the real divide - people who conform and
are able to function in this fucked up money race and people who for
whatever reasons crash&burn and arnt allowed to participate in the
"prosperity" of the western world.

so whaz new, its all a question of priorities, and thats wwhere i totally
agree with Jim, the mechanisms of subdueing the "masses" has just become
more sophisticated, and the barriers between have & have-not have been
conviniently blurred, but the net is not an INSTRUMENT but much more just
shows the same symptoms as its predecessors in the media world - in the US
for e.g. they can take everything from you if you default on a loan and
end-up on welfare - xept the TV...maybe in 10 yrs the TV would go aswell,
but you still would be entitled to a little Microsoft Advertising Reciever
with access to your free AdRecepticleSpaMailAccount...

matt

p.s. If there is some interest in actually setting up a hardware exchange
and knowledge base for what i call "retro-computing" (old crap ppl throw
away...), im all over it, lemme know, we can organise....

www.firstfloor.org---www.enemy.org---ur.creditcard.nr.here