Tom Sherman on Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:59:04 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> A CIRCUS OF COMPLIANCE

A CIRCUS OF COMPLIANCE

I know there are excellent business opportunities in new media, but what
other kinds of opportunities are there?  I'm not interested in business.

Everybody says new markets are emerging and developing at breathtaking
speed in the digital age.  Well I don't want to move more quickly.  I like
to move at my own pace, the way I feel comfortable working.  As far as I'm
concerned, mobility and speed add up to nothing but new levels of
superficiality.  Timely superficiality is still superficiality.

All this hype about how we're living in exciting times, this is just
another way of saying there's absolutely no sense of history today.

People say that things are moving so fast that being and staying nimble is
the key to survival and growth.  Being nimble means one is lively and
agile.  Being nimble is a mind set.  The nimble must also be realistic and
objective when confronting changes in the environment.  The nimble are
willing and capable of making adjustments.  They are pliable and
malleable.  The future will be run by compliant contortionists.

Tom Sherman

-----

Syracuse University
Department of Art Media Studies