Declan McCullagh on Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:48:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> FC: Australians must buy Internet filters, government says

     [orig to <politech@vorlon.mit.edu>]

*********

[As idiotic as this proposal is, as described below, I don't see anything
that requires that Australians actually *use* the blocking software they
are forced to buy. Maybe that'll be next. --DBM]

*********

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:05:19 -0500
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
From: Barry Steinhardt <Barrys@aclu.org>
Subject: Fwd: EFA-PR: NET CENSORSHIP - SECRET AND UNACCOUNTABLE
:

Declan,

Australia is teaching a sobering lesson to all of those who argue that the
promotion of filtering and blocking software will ward off direct
government censorship. To the contrary, it has provided the government of
that "free" nation with the technological tools of censorship which can be
forced on users.

Below is a release from Electronic Frontiers Australia, which details the
latest devlopments.

It is worth noting that similar proposals are being seriously considered in
Western Europe.

Barry Steinhardt