castorandino on 16 Feb 2001 22:40:13 -0000

[nettime-lat] traduccion

MENSAJE citado por: ricardo dominguez <rdom@thing.net>:
Ricardo. si podrias traducir en castellano esta informacion me
seria muy util. grasias, tu amigo el castor andino

IndyMedia Chiapas Editorial
> http://chiapas.indymedia.org/
>
> by IMC-C Editorial 3:22am Fri Feb 9 '01
> editorial@chiapas.indymedia.org
>
> Indymedia Chiapas (IMC~C) inaugurates its website on Feb 9th
2001,
> exactly
> six years after Zedillo betrayed his word to uphold "peace
with dignity"
> in
> southeastern Mexico. The IMC~C bases its counter-information
offensive
> in
> the respect for la palabra digna.*
> Chiapas, what a theme, what a place, what a struggle, what a
history,
> what a
> reality, for all that have lived, been involved, been
affected or
> inspired
> by the last seven years of conflict, repression and betrayal,
> organization,
> mobilization and resistance in this previously forgotten
corner of the
> world.
>
> For six long years President Zedillo relentlessly waged war
against the
> indigenous communities in resistance because they chose to
struggle for
> schools with roofs, communities with health care and water,
and above
> all,
> peace with dignity. The Zapatistas and their multitude of
support bases
> responded by categorically rejecting the economic proposals
that would
> discard them as a by-product in the wake of globalization.
>
> Indymedia Chiapas (IMC~C) inaugurates its website on Feb 9th
2001,
> exactly
> six years after Zedillo betrayed his word to uphold "peace
with dignity"
> in
> southeastern Mexico. The IMC~C bases its counter-information
offensive
> in
> the respect for la palabra digna.* Unilaterally betraying the
> cease-fire, on
> February 9, 1995, President Zedillo launched his infamous
military
> offensive
> against Chiapas' indigenous peoples, attempting to annihilate
the EZLN.
> Not
> only was the strategy unsuccessful, rather it galvanized
broad support
> for
> the Zapatistas' words and voice, gaining them further
revolutionary
> legitimacy in their struggle for liberty, democracy and peace
with
> dignity
> in a world geared towards consumption, competition, and
laissez-faire
> economics.
>
> Indymedia Chiapas sees this as an appropriate moment to
launch our page
> as
> the Zapatista CCRI (general command) prepares to depart from
their haven
> in
> the Lacandon Jungle February 24, on its unprecedented trip
through
> twelve
> states en route to the halls of Congress in Mexico City. The
EZLN-CCRI
> intends to hold a special session with the Mexican Congress
demanding
> that
> it respect la palabra digna, signed as a partial peace
agreement in
> February
> 1996 by the congressional intermediary team (COCOPA), the
EZLN-CCRI,
> and
> Zedillo's special negotiator. President Fox and the new
congress have
> an
> opportunity to uphold their word, "peace" in this case and
the dozens
> of
> campaign promises to "resolve the Chiapas conflict," by
respecting the
> very
> same San Andres' Accords that were betrayed by Zedillo in his
> unilateral
> executive veto on the agreement's implementation in late 1996.
>
> Indymedia Chiapas considers it important to offer balanced
coverage and
> weight to the February 26th World Economic Forum (WEF)
meetings and
> demonstrations in Cancun. In a special dinner, Fox's cabinet
will toast
> the
> business elites of the world and potential investors while
they discuss
> the
> wealth of Mexico's diverse resources and work sectors under
themes
> titled
> "Financial Outlook, Tequila Sunrise" and "New Administration,
New
> NAFTA."
> Not to be overlooked are the increasingly in-demand and
lucrative
> themes
> such as oil, "Energetic Mexico," and "Information and
Technologies." In
> short, Cancun has the potential to be the second sell-out of
the
> Mexican
> peoples in less than ten years. The Zapatistas' decision to
take up arms
> was
> in a part a response to the first of these two major sell-
outs. Their
> uprising stunned the world on January 1, 1994, the very day
that the
> NAFTA
> (North American Free Trade Agreement) went into effect.
Before signing
> the
> agreement, the US government mandated the dissolution of all
collective
> landholdings in Mexico, the "death warrant for Mexico's
indigenous
> peoples."
>
> First to lose and most expendable to the Global Economy are
Mexico's
> diverse
> indigenous peoples from the Tarahumara and the Huicholes in
the north to
> the
> Loxichas, Mixes, Tzeltales, Tzotziles in the south. If the
millions of
> Mexican indigenous people and the tens of thousands of
Mexican electric,
> oil
> and maquila workers are effectively absent from the WEF's
three day
> agenda,
> what are the chances that they will be taken into
consideration in the
> implementation of the actual policies agreed upon during
Fox's economic
> debut?
>
> Can there be a true "peace with dignity" in Chiapas and
Mexico if the
> global
> economic institutions, Fox, and the Mexican corporate elite
propose to
> fashion "Mexico, The Bridge of the Americas"? Indymedia
Chiapas will
> simultaneously cover the events in Cancun and the EZLN-CCRI
delegation
> Mexico. We will offer ample coverage and marginalized
perspectives on
> la
> palabra digna vs. the la traicion de la palabra. On one
stage, the
> Zapatistas will defend the dignified word in their effort to
push
> Mexico
> towards an inclusive, progressive, respectful peace plan. On
the other
> stage, Fox and the WEF will challenge the very essence of la
palabra
> digna,
> potentially opening the door for the latest traicio'n de la
palabra
> that
> include revolutionary General Emiliano Zapata's assassination
on April
> 10,
> 1919 in Chinameca.
>
> Indymedia Chiapas dedicates itself to creating a tool for the
> dissemination
> of words of dignity, truth and forgotten perspectives by
relying on
> inclusive, progressive and honest reporting on and by those
most
> affected
> and involved in today's struggles.
>
> *la palabra digna means literally "words of dignity" and is
used in the
> English sense of taking someone at their word, or being held
accountable
> their word. In Mexico and even more so in Chiapas, where
literacy rates
> are
> the lowest in the country, peoples from rural communities
place special
> emphasis on "the word:" a person's word and promise is seen
as a final
> contract.
>
> {{{}}}}}}}
> Tuesday,  January 30, 2001
>

> Marcos:  Achieving Peace Is Closer Than Ever
>

> Aurelio Fernandez F., correspondent.
> Part 1/3
>
> La Realidad, Chiapas.
> January 28.
>
> We are closer than ever today to reaching peace in Chiapas,
to removing
> our
> ski-masks in the Zapatista Army of National Liberation, said
> Subcomandante
> Marcos.  "Closer than during the Cathedral talks in 1994," he
added,
> because there has been a very profound change in society,
measured by
> July
> 2, 2000.
>
> The guerrillero added that on that date society discovered a
means of
> acting, because it was no longer only informed, but also very
worried,
> and
> it wanted to participate.  In this case, the electoral
process was one
> way
> of doing something.  Mexico's problem continues to be that
citizenship
> is
> only exercised every six or three years, or whenever there is
an
> election
> which affects you.  The rest of the time citizens become
spectators or
> beneficiaries of what the government is doing.
>
> The rebel leader was interviewed by Carmen Aristegui and
Javier
> Solo'rzano,
> hosts of the News Image noon and evening broadcasts.  This
> correspondent
> participated in the dialogue.
>
> "Every time we've come out into public light," Marcos
said, "the
> response
> we've had is yes.  They haven't forgotten us.  What we're
therefore
> saying
> to society is that we're not going to continue being an
unresolved
> issue
> now.  We have the will to see this resolved.  You, society,
are
> different
> in many senses.  Help us to push this so that it falls on the
other
> side.
> And I'm not referring to a program where Marcos is going to
take work
> away
> from Andre's Bustamente and compete with Viajes Ponchito.
I'm referring
> the indigenous peoples being recognized as such, that you're
never again
> 'pata rajada', which is an insult in this country.  That the
color of
> your
> skin, your language, your culture, your way of relating to
the land,
> with
> religion, even with your partner or with whatever, not be a
reason for
> discrimination or for persecution."
>
> Marcos' reference to Ponchito had to do with the fact that
Andre's
> Bustamente was also present during the interview, waiting his
turn,
> which
> we will report on tomorrow.
>
> In an outfit which appeared to have been changed only by the
passage of
> time, with a scarf whose color was merely a trace, and whose
fabric
> weft
> was barely supported by its warp, one more symbol from this
man of
> symbols,
> Marcos appeared unwell.  "You're thinner since the last time
I saw
> you,"
> Solo'rzano told him.  "I'm on a diet," he parried.
>
> Aristegui and Solo'rzano questioned the Sub concerning his
reaction to
> President Fox's insistence that he had demonstrated his good
will by
> having
> withdrawn troops, having presented the Cocopa's proposal to
the Congress
> of
> the Union and having shown his willingness for dialogue.
>
> "Look," Marcos responded, "the problem is that the EZLN
carries a great
> mistrust, the product of previous governments, and Fox isn't
to blame
> for
> this, I agree.  But the Indian peoples are asking us to say
whether
> this
> government is going to sit down for dialogue only to gain
time, hoping
> that
> our presence in the media decreases and the people forget
about us.  And
> in
> that way they can make a military strike against us.  It's
obvious that
> there is a hard-line group in Fox's government, even within
the Army."

> "On the other hand," he continued, always flanked by Tacho
and Moise's,
> "We
> see that there are contradictions in the government that make
it
> unclear
> with whom to negotiate.  Officially it would have to be Luis
H.
> Alvarez,
> because he's the Commissioner of Peace, but we've received
envoys from
> Secretary of State Jorge G. Casta~eda, offering him as
interlocutor of
> the
> government with us, even using international individuals.
Diego
> Ferna'ndez
> de Cevallos doesn't want peace to be signed, in order not to
give Fox
> any
> advantages."
>
> And he goes on to say that the zapatistas think that, in
response to
> the
> question as to whether he is willing to abandon the military
route and
> use
> the route of dialogue, "one part of Fox is answering yes, and
another
> part
> no."
>
> He added:  "What Se~or Fox has done is to manipulate every
withdrawal
> (of
> military groups in the region) as a media event."  And that
means a
> decline
> in the federal Army.  They would have been reinforced in
silence, and
> nothing would have happened, but he's cutting back in a way
that is
> permitting that entire group to say:  "He's giving a lot,"
when, from
> the
> beginning, it had been delineated that there were seven
military
> positions,
> and he had said that was fine.  "As far as we are concerned,
Fox hasn't
> finished his election campaign, he's continuing it."
>
> "Really?" asked Carmen Aristegui.  "It's already been said
that there's
> media contest between you and Fox."
>
> "We think that as far as that goes, with Fox, we'd lose,"
Marcos
> responded.
> "In the duel of vanities there are professionals and there are
> amateurs.
> We don't gain anything if our ratings go up or down.  One way
or
> another,
> the zapatistas' public life has been this rise and fall.  How
many
> times
> have they killed us off in media terms and we appear again?
We're not
> interested in being more popular than Fox, or less.  What
we're
> interested
> in is that this problem be resolved, because we believe that
now is the
> opportunity, and the PRI defeat on July 2 opened a space
where it's
> possible for this country to decide, but in another way.  We
want to be
> part of that future, and we don't want to have ski-masks in
the
> future."
>
> They Will Not Go To UNAM
>
> Regarding whether they will visit the UNAM during the march
to Mexico
> City,
> the Subcomandante noted:  "This is a university community.
In the case
> of
> the Metropolitan Autonomous, the UAM, we received an
invitation from
> the
> community, the students, workers, teachers and researchers,
but in the
> case
> of the UNAM, we haven't received an invitation like that."
>
> "We can't go to a place where we signify, within the
progressive forces
> -
> because, one way or another, the UNAM is a catalogue of
progressive
> forces
> - a means of impacting on the division among those forces.
If the
> university community of the Autonomous National of Mexico
were to
> invite
> us, we would go.  But if only one group within the community
invites
> us,
> no, because then, in a while, they are going to say to us:
and what
> about
> us?  It's not like in the case of the strike, where it was
the students
> who
> were on strike and that was that.  They were there.  But
there isn't
> any
> strike now, right now the university is working like a
community.  The
> act
> of going only with a group of that group would show a lack of
respect
> on
> our part towards a university community."
>
> The light became too dim to be able to continue taping.  The
> technicians
> asked for a respite in order to light the lamps.  "This, my
Sup, would
> not
> have happened if Ponchivision had organized the work," said
Andre's
> Bustamente, decked out in his tropical shirt now, awaiting
his turn.

> {{{{}}}}}}}}}
>
> La Jornada
> Wednesday,  January 31, 2001.
>

> Unfulfilled, the 3 Conditions Which Fox Accepted, Says Marcos
>

> Aurelio Fernandez F., correspondent.
> Part 2/3
>
> La Realidad, Chiapas.
>
> Subcomandante Marcos set out clearly a series of points
concerning the
> current moment regarding the negotiations between the EZLN
and Vicente
> Fox's government.  First, that three conditions had been
established
> for
> sitting down to the negotiating table which President Vicente
Fox
> publicly
> accepted and which have not been fulfilled:  the withdrawal
of the
> military
> positions in seven of the 246 positions, the release of the
zapatista
> prisoners and steps towards the Congress of the Union
accepting
> Cocopa's
> proposal on indigenous rights and culture.
>
> The federal government has withdrawn its troops from four of
the seven
> points, but it doesn't want to do so in the other three,
despite the
> promise to do so, Marcos noted in the interview held with
Carmen
> Aristegui,
> Javier Solo'rzano and this correspondent.  "The case of
Guadalupe
> Tepeyac
> particularly concerns us, where hundreds of people have been
living
> outside
> their homes for 2000 days, 50 of which belong to Fox's
government," he
> said.  In a trip carried out by journalists, it was able to be
> confirmed
> that the military fort built in that town, following the EZLN
uprising
> in
> 1994, remains occupied by troops, despite the fact that a
checkpoint is
> not
> operating there, nor is it being occupied by its native
residents.

> The leader also noted that, regarding the political
prisoners, even
> though
> there has been much publicity about the release of some, the
majority
> continue imprisoned, approximately 80.  According to Marcos,
the
> zapatista
> prisoners who were released were those who had only been
facing state
> charges, and it was Pablo Salazar Mendiguchi'a's government
which
> obtained
> their release.  Those facing federal charges have not been
freed.
> "We're
> not talking about prisoners for common crimes," he
said.  "But about
> those
> denounced by paramilitaries, those who are there for having
carried a
> civil
> band radio, or those who were found with a green militia cap -
 like
> yours,
> Carmen - or with a brown shirt, those are the ones we're
referring to.
> But
> we're not asking them to release rapists and drug
traffickers.  If they
> were to release those accused of common crimes, they could
even be held
> in
> the Autonomous Municipalities and be tried there.  Fox has
not given a
> response to this."
>
> As far as the steps to see that the Cocopa law is approved,
Fox has sent
> it
> to Congress, but he has not taken one other step for its
ratification
> by
> the legislators.  "Fox is saying:  here's the law, here it's
done.  And
> it's not so.  It's not about supplanting the Legislative
branch, but
> that
> he does dedicate effort, like we're doing, in order to secure
the
> approval
> of the Cocopa proposal.  Or, in any case, that he clearly set
out his
> doubts and his differences, because no one is doing that
now.  Now the
> discussion is whether or not we should be going with ski-
masks."

> "That's why we're going on the march, to meet with the
Deputies, who
> have
> already expressed their willingness to receive us (Beatriz
Paredes,
> among
> others).
>
> "The communities are asking us for certainty about whether we
can deal
> with
> this government.  When they're sure it can be like that,
they'll tell
> us:
> "Make agreements with the government, end the war."  And
we'll achieve
> an
> opportunity to build peace, because the signing of peace
doesn't
> achieve
> peace.  There will still have to be much work, but it's going
to be an
> important step.  That all the EZLN's zapatista communities,
not just
> the
> leadership, will be able to end the declaration of war and go
out an
> engage
> in political work in order to rebuild the social fabric of the
> communities,
> which are very damaged now.  That's why we're resistant to
media events
> they propose to us, like a meeting in order to have our
picture taken
> with
> Vicente Fox."

they are
> organizing for late next month, Marcos stated:  "It's so
important for
> us,
> defining, that we think we are repeating January 1, 1994,
when we
> ordered
> the zapatista leadership into the first line of fire, because
that's
> the
> way of the indigenous peoples, the chiefs aren't in the
back.  We are
> sending a very clear signal:  we aren't sending others, they
can't say
> they
> aren't speaking with the leaders of the zapatista movement."
>
> Marcos insisted that they won't be going armed;  "As far as
this goes,
> we
> want to give a very clear message regarding January 1, 1994.
At that
> time
> we came out as zapatistas to make war and we went armed.  Now
we are
> leaving as zapatistas in order to engage in dialogue.  Why
would we
> want
> weapons if we are going to engage in dialogue?  We're willing
to suffer
> an
> attack, for them to arrest us, for them to throw eggs,
tomatoes, at us,
> for
> them to pull off our ski-masks.  The ski-masks aren't so
important to
> us,
> at the end of the day no one cares who's behind the mask.  I
can take
> it
> off, and when I put it on again I'm Subcomandante Marcos
again, who is,
> among other things, also a ski-mask.  In contrast to what is
happening
> on
> the other side of the power, we don't assign that physical
worth to the
> ski-mask, meaning that they take it off us and we're
castrated and we're
> no
> longer good for anything.  We are confident that, unlike what
can happen
> in
> the media trivia, the people understand that what's behind
the ski-mask
> is
> a debt the nation owes to a sector of the nation, which is
also a
> native
> group, and that the greatest part of the population forms
part of their
> blood and of their culture.  Because there are the
indigenous, although
> they don't want much, but there are many of the historical
antecedents
> of a
> large part of the urban population."
>
> The interviewers remember that Beatriz Paredes ahs offered,
if it is
> necessary, to receive the zapatista march in the highway.  The
> interviewee
> mentioned that on that February 8, 1995 he had a meeting with
her and
> Esteban Moctezuma when the Army carried out an operation
whose purpose
> was
> to arrest them.  "We're willing to speak with her, we don't
bear a
> grudge,"
> he said.  "I have another image.  It seems like one of the
ties that
> which
> dragged down the PRI was her bonds with the Executive."
>
> Marcos notes that the movement he belongs to has much hope
for the
> Congress
> as a legislative body.  "Not just that, we think the nation
should have
> hope.  If the Congress doesn't make State policy, hold on,
everything
> is
> going to be patch-patch every day, and there's going to be
two Mexicos
> again:  the one shown in the media and in the news stories,
and the one
> going on below.  'El Chapo' Guzma'n is going to be just a
caricature,
> what
> follows will be more serious.  Because if there's no State
policy in
> response to organized crime, in response to the main problems
of the
> national agenda - it's Chiapas, but not just Chiapas,
regarding the
> economic program and all that - I believe this is going to
turn into
> chaos.
> The North Americans see this.  That's why they're moving the
border.
> What
> else is the Puebla Panama Plan?"
>
> {{{}}}}}
>
> Originally published in Spanish by La Jornada
> ______________________
> Translated by irlandesa
>

> La Jornada
> Friday, February 2, 2001.
>

> Marcos: Globalization Doesn't Break Down Borders, It Creates
Them

> Aurelio Fernandez F., correspondent.
> Part 3/3
>

> La Realidad, Chiapas.   It has been said that the Puebla
Panama Plan is
> counterinsurgency instrument, but, in Subcomandante Marcos'
opinion,
> it's
> more than that:  "The problem isn't just us.  It's about the
destruction
> of
> a nation.  We have spoken of three Mexicos, and the
businessmen have
> spoken
> about three Mexicos:  the North works, the South sleeps and
the Center
> consumes what the North produces, they say something like
that.  We
> said:
> the North is being absorbed, the Center is being fought over,
and the
> South
> has been forgotten."
>
> In this third and last installment of the interview conducted
by "News
> Image" broadcasters - Carmen Aristegui, Javier Solo'rzano and
this
> correspondent - the spokesperson for an important group of
Mexican
> indigenous demonstrates what he considers to be the
stratification of
> the
> economy and national geography:  there is "the upstairs, the
> downstairs,
> and the basement, which is what we are."
>
> He adds that the Puebla Panama Plan is an expression of those
policies
> which are leading to the fragmentation of the nation:  "If
there is
> anyone
> who wants this country to be fragmented, it's this process of
> globalization, and they're going to do everything possible to
achieve
> it."
> He said that the great world interests would be delighted if
the
> zapatistas
> were to ask to separate from Mexico, because they would
prefer to deal
> with
> banana republics, which they can control better.
>
> Marcos refers, for the first time, to this project which is
being
> promoted
> by Fox, which, according to important analysts, such as
Carlos Fazio,
> is
> concealing transnational corporate interests, in a desire to
try and
> control important social processes, such as migration to the
United
> States,
> and to exploit available biodiversity resources and the
region's
> geographic
> advantages.  "The trans-isthmus project," the interviewee
continues -
> "is
> transferring the functions of the Panama Canal to the
Republic of
> Mexico,
> but cutting the country effectively into two or three parts.
One has
> ask oneself why the secessionist policies have been coming
precisely
> from
> Yucatan and from Tabasco over the last few months. And it's
not
> zapatistas
> who are proposing it.  It's separating us from the rest of
the nation.
> That's the program."
>
> "Mexico City is going to be the 'switcher', a signal box
between the
> two
> country.  And it will be even worse for the indigenous who
are north of
> Puebla.  What the Americans are doing is renouncing the
control of
> conflicts in this part of the continent.  They recognize now
that it's
> impossible to defeat the indigenous of the Southeast, or,
rather, they
> recognize that they can't incorporate their skills into the
free
> market,
> and they are ceding them to Central America.  Then they are
going to
> move
> the border from Guatemala to Puebla, they'll lower the border
from the
> Rio
> Grande to the Federal District and the State of Mexico.  That
entire
> part
> is in order to cushion the migration of 'illegals', or, at
least, of
> those
> who aspire to be 'illegals'.  And then, like that, moving the
border,
> the
> Northern states will be 'North Americanized', those in the
Center
> [sic/South] will be 'Central Americanized', and the buffer
will be in
> the
> middle:  Mexico City, Puebla, Morelos and the State of
Mexico."

> "What globalization is doing is re-drawing the world.  If you
look at a
> world map prior to the Cold War, and after the Cold War and
the fall of
> the
> Berlin Wall, there aren't fewer nations, but more.  It's not
a global
> village, rather more and more split up.  Then they are re-
drawing
> lands,
> what neoliberalism, globalization in North America, is doing
is defining
> new border between Central America and North America.  It's
moving
> Mexico's
> southern border towards the center of the country, and
lowering the
> United
> States' border towards the center of the country.  In this
way the
> Northern
> states of the Republic will be incorporated into the
productive
> process,
> circulation, even cultural, of the rest of the states of the
North of
> the
> country.  The Mexican Southeast, from Puebla down, will be
incorporated
> into the market logic and policies of the Central American
countries.
> And
> the Center, Mexico City and the State of Mexico, will
function as a
> buffer,
> like a customs point between the two countries."
>
> Marcos believes, nonetheless, that this policy is going to be
> failure,
> because in the North of the country, "they're aren't only the
big
> businessmen.  There is an indigenous population, there are
workers,
> there
> are neighbors, there are teachers, there are students, who
will disturb
> the
> process of "North Americanization', and who, in addition, have
> historical
> and cultural ties and all that with the rest of the country.
Finally,
> no
> matter who it upsets, Mexico continues to be a country, a
nation.  And
> say that the Center of the country is for buffering what the
North
> Americans want buffered.  They want to turn them into the
police of the
> Southeast.  The country's Center is going to be turned into
the police
> of
> the Mexican South-Southeast in order to be accountable to the
North, but
> no
> longer the North of Chihuahua, but the North from Zacatecas
to Canada.
> It's going to fail, what's at stake is this:  we are going to
be two
> national projects.  The nation from here, up, from Puebla up,
the
> political
> and customs center.  And from the Center to the North the
process of
> North
> American development, and from Puebla to Panama, Central
America.

> "I don't believe Cervera Pacheco, but I do believe that it's
convenient
> for
> globalization to negotiate or to establish relations with
small
> republics.
> It would be convenient for them to recognize the Mexican
Southeast as a
> banana republic.  They want to turn not only the indigenous,
but also
> the
> poor in the rest of the country, into a great reservation.
And there
> is
> going to be a fight to try and cross to where there's
employment and
> better
> living conditions.  But, instead of the trouble being at the
border
> crossroads of the Rio Grande, it's going to be in Mexico
City, in the
> State
> of Mexico, in Puebla, in that entire area.  It's going to be
completely
> on
> this side, but they're going to lose."
>
> Opening of Borders?  Only For Money
>
> Marcos defends the resistance action in the country's
South.  "The South
> is
> already reacting.  It's having its march in order to say:  we
want to
> be
> part of this country, that is, they would be willing to give
us the
> autonomy we are not asking for.  Really, if we asked for the
Mayan
> state,
> the Mayan nation, we would immediately be recognized by the
UN, the IMF
> and
> the World Bank.  Doubly simple!  'Yes,' they'd say to
us, 'Look, we
> recognize you, we'll finance you, we'll give you weapons and
> guerrillas,
> and whatever you want we're going to give you, because it's
what suits
> us'."
>
> He insists:  "Yes, that's what's happening.  It's going to
fail
> precisely
> because what they expect the wounded, the 'globalphobes', as
they call
> them, to do is to assume those losses.  But this country has
a history,
> what's happening is that it's being forgotten, but as soon as
they
> remember
> it, this is going to take another route.  The hope is, above
all, that
> the
> space is open, believe me, it's in dispute.  Those people
there are
> still
> willing to listen to another national project.  If there
isn't any
> other
> project for the nation, then we aren't going to be able to
blame the
> people, because if we don't offer them something else, just
the
> neoliberal
> program - have we offered them anything else? - we've just
told them it
> wouldn't do.  That's a responsibility of the left."
>
> "Marcos," this correspondent asked, "You've described the
general ideas
> of
> the Puebla Panama Plan.  Then there's an economic program
that's
> probably
> more unpopular and savaged than the previous ones.  But you
suggest
> that
> peace is closer than ever, that it might even be achieved
this year,
> but,
> under these conditions, isn't that a contradiction?"
>
> "No.  This globalization process and this economic program is
> happening,
> but people are also waking up.  We are saying:  we can offer
a better
> resistance, more organized, and, in addition, contribute to
the building
> of
> an alternative.  That's why they don't want us to leave.
It's not
> because
> they're jealous of our popularity ratings.  It's because
we're going to
> be
> able to engage in politics, and we know it, that's why we
want to
> leave.
> We're going to be able to engage in politics in many ways.
Because
> we're
> in ski-masks and armed and here and all that.  That is, they
are indeed
> afraid of the people organizing and destroying that project.
But that
> program hasn't brought anything but adversity in other parts
of the
> world.
> The world isn't a global village, nor is NAFTA an opening of
borders,
> except when it's for money, not even for merchandise.  Ask
the truckers
> in
> the North how often they can cross there, or ask the dead
migrants, or
> the
> migrants from Africa and Asia in Europe what's happening to
them in the
> European Community.
>
> He continues:  "The world is becoming more and more closed,
and it's
> becoming increasingly intolerant, and it's causing absurd
> fundamentalisms
> to proliferate.  They're absurd, it's nothing else.  And
look:  the one
> promoting it is not a Muslim, an indigenous, a Jew, an
Israelite or
> whatever you want, but the one promoting it is the man with
the money,
> who's in a big office, saying: that's what suits me, because
that
> fragmentation works for me.  We are saying:  what's operating
here is a
> world war.  They are destroying lands like never before,
riches like
> never
> before, they are eliminating populations like never before.
What's