fran ilich on Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:48:32 +0200 (CEST)

[nettime-lat] FW: [borderhack] Border Reports

------ Mensaje reenviado
De: Nicole Cousino <ncousino@earthlink.net>
Responder a: borderhack@yahoogroups.com
Fecha: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 13:06:42 -0700
Para: borderhack@yahoogroups.com
Asunto: [borderhack] Border Reports

Invitation to participate:

'Border Reports' will extend the mission of Borderhack 2.0 to 'delete the
border,' by transmitting sound (as audible and radio frequencies) into the
immediate vicinity (Tijuana MX, San Ysidro USA).

We invite you to create a sound recording for this project.

The name 'Border Reports' comes from the AM radio traffic reports in San
Diego that let people know how long it takes to get across the border.
Drivers have to wait in line and produce passports to cross the border, but
sound itself knows no such barriers.  The USA used radio for years to
transmit the message of capitalism into the communist bloc; we will use
sound frequencies similarly, in order to mobilize discussion  and
understanding of border policies which criminalize the poor and politically
persecuted.

We would like to present your sound recording as part of this international
transmission .  We invite you to produce a 5 minute (maximum) audio segment
to be transmitted on both sides of the border during the Borderhack
encampment on August 24, 25, 25 in Playas Tijuana.

Segments can take any form including:
Journalistic, conceptual, investigative, political manifestos, creative
appropriation, musical, a shout-out, an interview, a mini-history,
information, news, noise, a poem.

Title your segment:
The title of each segment should start with -
"Border Report,"  and then a number or year or title which might indicate
the content or feeling of your segment.
Examples would be:
"Border Report No.365"  "Border Report No. 366,"
"Border Report Year 2060"
"Border Report 2.2"
"Border Report Berlin 1937"

Segments could consider the US Mexico frontier year 2001, but they could
also present information about other borders past, present and future.

Where and how to produce the segment?  There are several ways!

Record at Playas de Tijuana:
We will have a station at Playas and recording equipment. Bring your text or
instruments and find us under the Border Reports flag.  Or come up with a
spontaneous interview or sound piece at Playas; there should be plenty of
inspiration at the encampment.

Record at our studio. Please call us at (213) 365-2344 to record with us.
Best days would be Monday August 20 and Tuesday August 21. Or email us at
slewison@hotmail or ncousino@earthlink.net.

Record at your place and deliver the file via mail, or to our house or
mailbox in Los Angeles.  Please email or call for details/address.   Or
bring the recording with you to the Borderhack emcampment at Playas.  We can
take audio cassette, minidisc or CD.

Record at your place, and send the file via email.  Please contact us for
details as to what kind of file we can accept.

Any language is welcome:
english, spanish, sound, music, noise or any other language transmitted
through audiowaves.

duration:
maximum 5 minutes

usable recording formats:
cassette tape, mini-disc, cd

We hope you will participate in this action!  The more, the merrier (and
louder).

For more information, please contact Nicole or Sarah at 213-365-2344, or
ncousino@earthlink, or slewison@hotmail.com.

Border Reports is part of Borderhack.
See http://www.de-lete.tv/borderhack

< DELETE THE BORDER! >

Borderhack is a festival/camp that is part of the "kein mensch ist illegal"
chain of bordercamps. It will take place in Tijuana on August 24, 25 and
26 of the year 2001. The location of the camp will be in the Playas de
Tijuana part of the city, in front of the actual border fence that divides
the
third and the first world, and also where it penetrates the ocean. The camp
will offer net art, photograph exhibits, border cinema, ISDN
connections, conferences and workshops, not to mention the participation of
the global hacktivist and net-media art community.

------ Fin del mensaje reenviado