luis humberto clinton on Thu, 6 Sep 2001 02:00:03 +0200 (CEST)

[nettime-lat] FW: <nettime> The US-Mexico Border (DJ Spooky a Coco Fusco)

------ Mensaje reenviado
De: "Paul D. Miller" <anansi1@mail.earthlink.net>
Responder a: "Paul D. Miller" <anansi1@mail.earthlink.net>
Fecha: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:51:03 -0400
Para: "nettime-l@bbs.thing.net" <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>
Asunto: <nettime> The US-Mexico Border

Coco - it saddens me a little bit to see you come down so hard on
something that essentially, is trying to raise consciousness about
the issue. I think that almost anything that raises awareness of
what's going on down there is helpful and should be supported.
Perhaps this is a generational issue - polyvalence (as I've seen with
old left charlatan folks like Mark Dery) is incredibly difficult for
more... uh... "literary" approaches to these issues that don't do
anything except describe the situation in theory speak... and I give
crazy props to Fran for trying to deal with the issue in an actionary
and dynamic way rather than "re-actionary" rehashing of theory.
Praxis makes this alot more fun. Hey! More dialog is better. Whatever
happened to that old spirit of debate? I'd love to have people air
their opinions on this kind of thing alot more often... it's much
more refreshing than the usual Euro oriented "cyber-crit" stuff that
goes on on this list...  is it all that difficult to be a fan of BOTH
Electronic Disturbance Theater and the Border Hack concept? C'mon,
there's room for all of this.... How about Ricardo and Fran have a
debate posted through Nettime? That'd be fun to see, and enlightening
as well. Not to mention would bring a refreshing multi-cultural
ambiance to Nettime. Any thoughts? New thread?

okay,
peace as always,
Paul

>ps, I loved the section of your essay that deals with issues that I
>think that Fran has been trying to explore as well. To quote you:
>"the artists in question [in Coco's essay] examine the
>human cost of "progress." They all describe a world in which some human
>beings can exist impervious to the demands of the social while others are
>viewed as cumbersome weight. They make work about societies in which power
>is
>best expressed as the ability to commodify all elements of life, and whose
>impoverished majorities are subject to modes of objectification that the
privileged hide from view."
I think that Fran could have some material to add to this...

------ Fin del mensaje reenviado