ricardo dominguez on Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:40:02 +0200 (CEST)

[nettime-lat] An online protest again Israeli military action in the West Bank

the electrohippie collective - http://www.fraw.org.uk/ehippies/

O N L I N E    P R O T E S T   A C T I O N    N O T I F I C A T I O N

        15th April 2002  -- 00.00GMT

"ARIEL SHARON IS TAKING THE PEACE"

 An online protest again Israeli military action in the West Bank

 http://www.fraw.org.uk/peace.html

Target systems -

Any information or messaging service used by the core of
he Israeli government that is attached to the Internet.

Israeli military incursions into the major settlements of the
West Bank, the  electrohippie collective are mounting an
online 'electronic civil disobedience action' against the
information systems of the Israeli government. This action
begins at 00.00GMT 15-4-02, and as yet has no end
date.

The action is specifically aimed at the role of Ariel Sharon
in the current conflict. Not only in his current role as Israeli
Prime Minister. But also for his role in provoking violence as
a means of weakening the previous Israeli government,
and earlier still his alleged implication in war crimes as
part of the Sabra and Shatila refugee camp massacres in
1982. It does not seek to apportion blame for the current
problems in the area, but highlights the need to remove
 the Israeli military from the West Bank as an essential
precursor to any progress on peace talks.

There are three elements to the action:

# Participants will be able to use online tools to jam the electronic
Internet services of the Israeli government in a symbolic
 "occupation" of the Israeli government's cyberspace;

# There is an extensive directory of email contacts within
the Israeli government and diplomatic service to allow the
public to send comments on the recent Israeli action to the
Israeli state; and

# There are links to local/independent news services to enable
the public to access first hand accounts of the Israeli Defence
Force's devastation of town in the West Bank.

For the first time, as well as web-based action tools, this
action includes tools specifically developed for use with
the GNU/Linux operating system.

This provides a higher level of flexibility for the development
of simple, computer amateur-friendly software tools for use
as part of computer-based actions by civil society. In addition
to the other activities of the electrohippies, we hope that this
action will help promote the role of Linux in meeting the
computing needs of civil society groups.

Unlike the more well know 'computer hacker' actions against
Internet sites, the tools developed by the electrohippie collective
have 'democratic accountability' built into them. Unless significant
numbers of people take part in the online actions - many thousands
simultaneously across the world - then there will be no effect on the
Israeli's information systems. However, if significant numbers do
take part then the target systems will collapse under the weight
of traffic.

In most countries, this action is not unlawful. This is because it
does not involve 'computer abuse'. Instead thousands of people
across many countries use the computer systems precisely as
they are intended to be used - but co-ordinated in a way that
causes significant disruption or closure of the services.

To ensure that there is no collateral disruption, the electrohippies
have carried out research into the organisation if the Israeli
government's Internet services. The systems that our action will
target are restricted to the specific network subnets wholly controlled
and used by the Israeli government. Currently the action only targets
a small number of web servers.

But as the action evolves, and the numbers of participants grow, the
distribution of the action will hopefully grow to also include email and
domain name services for all the key Israeli government departments.

For more information on the action see:

# The main action page - http://www.fraw.org.uk/peace.html

# The action justification -
http://www.fraw.org.uk/ehippies/peace/peace_justification.html

# the electrohippie collective web site
http://www.fraw.org.uk/ehippies/

# 'About the electrohippie collective' -
http://www.fraw.org.uk/ehippies/about.shtml

# 'Past actions' - http://www.fraw.org.uk/ehippies/past.shtml

# electrohippies occasional paper 1 - "Distributed Denial of Service" -
http://www.fraw.org.uk/archive/ehippies/papers/op1.html

# electrohippies occasional paper 2 - "I've Seen the Future and There's a
Penguin On It" - http://www.fraw.org.uk/archive/ehippies/papers/op2.html