Regina Célia Pinto on Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:14:24 +0100 (CET)

[nettime-lat] Viewing Axolotls ... a visual narrative, some reflections and a game

VIEWING AXOLOTLS
... a visual narrative, some reflections and a game
http://arteonline.arq.br/viewing_axolotls

by Regina Célia Pinto

Based on:

"There was a time when I thought a great deal about the axolotls. I went to
see them in the aquarium at the Jardin des Plantes and stayed for hours
watching them, observing their immobility, their faint movements. Now I am
an axolotl.
I got to them by chance one spring morning when Paris was spreading its
peacock tail after a wintry Lent. I was heading down tbe boulevard
Port-Royal, then I took Saint-Marcel and L'Hopital and saw green among all
that grey and remembered the lions. I was friend of the lions and panthers,
but had never gone into the dark, humid building that was the aquarium. I
left my bike against tbe gratings and went to look at the tulips. The lions
were sad and ugly and my panther was asleep. I decided on the aquarium,
looked obliquely at banal fish until, unexpectedly, I hit it off with the
axolotls. I stayed watching them for an hour and left, unable to think of
anything else." ( from The End of the Game / Axolotl by Julio Cortazar, an
argentinean writer).

and

"After 500 years of printing, 150 years of photography, a century of film
and 50 years of television,
reality programming has reached maturity.
Consumers live scripted lives, while reality-creating machines predict all
their movements.
This phenomenon is so powerful that everyone actually has two bodies: one
real and another fictitious (shaped by received data)."*

How can we change the bundles of pictures that falsify reality? Is this a
desirable "reality"?

*BERNARDO, Gustavo. A dúvida de Flusser - filosofia e literatura. São Paulo,
Globo, 2002.