Thomas SMART Project Space on Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:23:55 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] Garden Built for You | opening Saturday September 1, 21.00 hours

SMART Project Space | 1e Constantijn Huygensstraat 20, Amsterdam

Requests the pleasure of your company at the exhibtion opening of

GARDEN BUILT FOR YOU | Work by Paul Baartmans, Robert Boyd, Nin Brudermann,
Florian Göttke, Graham Gussin, Ashley Hunt, Liselot van der Heijden, Olav
Westphalen. Curated by Thomas Peutz

Opening Saturday September 1, 21.00 hours. After opening party with deejays
Awsome3
Exhibition from September 1 through October 14, 2001.

"The Lord made Adam.in the image of himself"; He made Adam and Eve such that
they might keep each other company; but also with Him when He "walked in the
garden in the cool of the day". About this garden we learn that it was
planted with "every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food".
Evidently Eden was not a wild forest, but a garden that man was to tend, "to
dress and keep". By doing so, it would provide him with food and basically
satisfy all his needs and desires. Much has been read in and into the bible,
and especially into the beginning. The image of man who finds himself thrown
into the world and earthly paradise has both inspired and haunted us. It has
shaped our view of nature and of our position in the world. It has
sanctioned the view of man as the caretaker of the world, but also of the
world as resource, to be put to use and exploited at will. Amongst much
else, this view of the world has been at the basis of interpretations of the
natural and moral rights of man - basically of his rights to partake of the
bounty of earthly paradise. The French revolutionaries 'Declaration of the
Rights of Man and of the Citizen' deemed that these rights were fundamental
and unalterable. After the second world war, members of the United Nations
produced two successors to the French declaration. The first, the
International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, listing rights such as
the right to vote, the right of free speech and the right not to be
tortured, found wide support in real laws at the national and international
level. The second, the International Covenant on Economic, Social and
Cultural rights, asserted that all humans have the right to health, food,
housing and employment. These 'second generation' laws, lacking anything
approaching universal legal support, are routinely violated all over the
world. Now that human rights campaigners are investigating whether it would
make sense to expand the concept of human rights to incorporate the 'second
generation' rights, we feel that the discussion would be helped by an
awareness that human rights such as health and food are intrinsically
related to environmental issues. Traditionally, the expulsion of man from
Eden has been accepted with humility. We have resigned ourselves to live
with dreams of Eden, longing for a paradise that we consider to be
unredeemably lost to man... But was it really lost? At this point we could
ask ourselves whether it was just lost to us because we couln't see it was
there all the time. Probably paradise is there for whom is able and willing
to see and tend it... It is there for us to 'dress and keep'.
Garden Built for You is sponsored by: Gemeente Amsterdam, Mentrum, Brand
Bier, Beam Systems.

SMART Project Space | www.smartprojectspace.net
Exhibition Space & Cinema: 1e Const. Huygensstraat 20
Mail to: P.O.Box 15004, NL-1001 MA Amsterdam
Phone: +31 20 427.5951 / 427.5952
Fax.: +31 20 427.5952
Email: info@smartprojectspace.net

If this e-mail was forwarded to you by way of someone other then SMART
Project Space, and you would appreciate to receive further mailings
announcing exhibitions at SMART Project Space, you can send mail to
info@smartprojectspace.net with the following command in the body of your
email message: "subscribe e-mailing SPS"

If you would want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send
mail to info@smartprojectspace.net with the following command in the body of
your email message: "unsubscribe e-mailing SPS"