Erwin Verweij on Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:02:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] NMUF|Adapter

6th New Media Underground Festival  | Holland >> Festival info

Hi,

This is a message from Adapter about our upcoming new media festival in
Rotterdam in association with the N.M.U.F. You can read something about the
N.M.U.F. and Adapter at the bottom of this mail if you've never heard about
us.

Visitors can expect a dynamic and inspirational selection of the world's
leading Flash artists, both in technical and artistic views.All the info
can be find on www.nmuf.org or www.adapter.nl  Please keep checking the
website for new updates.

Here are the details of the upcoming N.M.U.F. | Rotterdam & Amsterdam

Dates:
Saturday - November 03 - Rotterdam
Sunday - November 04 - Rotterdam

SCHEDULE
note!:The schedule still can be changed a bit if we need so.

R O T T E R D A M

Saturday November 03
The saturday is formed by three blocks.

 >> The first one is a workshop of Claus Wahler. You can download the
workshop description at
http://adapter.dopesyndicate.com/downloads/CW_presentation_notes.doc
fl.25,- for students (show your student pas)
fl.75,- for companies

09.00 - 09.20 Registration
09.30 - 12.30 Claus Waylers workshop:
Creating dynamically driven Sites with Flash 5 and XML

Registration: on the website
Location: Locus or Off-Corso (www.off-corso.nl
(because of technical reasons we have to figure out what the best location
will be)

 >> The second block contains 3 presentations, one of is still to be
confirmed (Brandon Hall, V2A or Panoplie) We hope to publish it within a
few days.

The Snail Soundsystem, a collaboration of DJ's vocals, musicians and visual
artist, will host the day with their chilscapes of sound, visuals and poetry.

12.30 - 13.20 Registration

13.30 - 14.30 Nicola Tosic (Serv):
www.nekada.com, www.kubrick.org, www.e-slow.org
14.45 - 15.45 Brandon Hall (not confirmed):
www.figleaf.com, www.neuralust.com
16.00 - 17.00 Andries Odendall (SA):
www.wireframe.com

Location: Off-Corso, Kruiskade 22 (www.off-corso.nl)

 >> Dinner break! (17.00 - 18.30) You can get something to eat outside of
the Off-Corso, there are many good restaurants and cheesy fastfood
suppliers in this area. Be back in time :)

 >> The third and last block

18.30 - 19.30 Jacob Sebastien - Chatelain Jerome from Team cHmAn (Fr):
www.chman.com, www.vectorlounge.com, www.banja.com
19.30 - 20.00 Derek Micheal (UK):
www.affective.org, www.showstudio.com
20.00 - 21.00 James Patterson (Can) & Amit Pitaru (US):
www.presstube.com, www.pitaru.com

21.00 - 21.15 closedown

Sunday November 04

Location: Locus, Vlasmarkt 1A-1D

15.00 - 22.00 Roundtable discussion, brainsessions, Nato +55 workshop (V2),
DJ's and drinks!

* Adapter is an active platform for electronic and digital media artist's
mainly focused on Rotterdam and Holland. They supported the N.M.U.F. with
voluteers, arranging locations (Off-corso and Locus), and they talking with
the local authorities for some financial support for renting hardware,
printing flyers, building a nice visual environment etc etc. And guess
what, the city council gave permission for a funding to make it all happen! :)

** The Off-corso used to be named "Corso" and was one of the big cinema's
in town. After they closed it down, it became an empty place for some years
until two guys named Charlie Porter and Michel Smit wrote a proposal to
change the place into a multi media lounge/theatre. They got green light
for the project from the authorities and since then they started to work
their ass-off to redesign the place into one of the best joints in town.
Off-corso became a place for new media festivals, seminars, expositions,
workshops, experiments and related parties. Besides that this place has it
own unique facilities like the lounge, video beams, full sound system and
the original big film screen in the main hall, they also support the
N.M.U.F. by making the Off-corso available for the festival for free.
www.off-corso.nl

*** Locus is a foundation of several artist's. Last year they squatted a
big 3 store high building in the center of the city and did a proposal to
the city council to transform this building into a exposition and studio
complex for old and new art forms created by local talent. They got
permission to realize their dream and recently they finished the top floor
for activities.

New Media Underground Festival
The N.M.U.F. is a non-profit network of digital media artists/developers
and organize meetings, presentations, workshops, roundtable discussions or
exhibitions in a inspiring festival environment.

The N.M.U.F. was formed in November last year when Flash forward
(www.flashforward2001.com) came to London and asked 800 pound at the door.
This price made it impossible for many freelances, students and independant
artists to go to the festival, so we decided to a shadow festival by asking
the speakers of Flash forward to do their presentation for free. In this
way we all could listen to the inspiring presentations and also meet this
people in reality instead of staying a silent virtual nickname on the net.
This resulted into a magic festival of 3 days on different locations in
London, where an international group of a few hundred artists shared their
knowledge with each other.
Because of the positive reactions we continued organizing festivals and did
this in San Francisco (US), Cape Town (SA), Barcelona (SP), and NYC (US).
All festivals were organized by using the Internet as communication tool
because the group of people who work on it lives in different countries.
So our main goal is to make it possible for digital artists and developers
to meet and inspire each with their skills in new media technology without
asking lots of money for it or making profit from it. At the moment we try
to get funding for future activities so we don't have to lean on the
shoulders of commercial festivals anymore.

In a way we see the N.M.U.F. as "a new school for inspiration".

-- MAILINGLIST INFO --
We are currently in the progress of moving to a new mailinglist system. We
kindly ask you to register on the new website, so we have your current
emailadres in our system. Thank you.