Arjon Dunnewind on Sun, 16 May 2004 21:05:24 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] IMPAKT EVENT, Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay, Tuesday May 18, finalline-up,

There are still a few tickets available for the Impakt Event of
upcoming Tuesday, 18 May.
Reservations can still be made at : reservering@impakt.nl or 030 - 2944493

We are pleased to announce that as part of the Impakt Event Benny
Nemerofsky Ramsay will be interviewed about his work by artist duo
A.P. Komen and Karen Murphy.

Here is the final screening order and schedule for
IMPAKT EVENT
a nice spring evening with
BENNY NEMEROFSKY RAMSAY
FEATURING GASTRONOMICS BY PATRICK FAAS

19.45 unclaimed reservation available for sale

20.00 start evening with first course of meal
Geslachtelijke Patés - Gender Pâtés

20.15 first part of video program
- Special Impakt Event trailer by Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay
- True False, Colin Campbell, 1972, 9'
In True/False, pioneering Canadian video artist Colin Campbell makes a
number of potentially revealing statements about himself, then verifies
each statement as "true", and disqualifies each statement as "false".
A play on the adage that the camera does not lie (but the artist
probably does).
- Je Changerais D'Avis, Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay, 2000, 5'
How do you say, "I love you" in the information age? Modeling itself after
hyper-information channels like CNN, Je Changerais D'Avis seeks to express
  pain, loss and regret in a sea of simultaneous translations into
English, German,
French, American Sign Language and weather reports. As new technology allows
for easier, faster communication, what gets lost? Do these communication
devices allow us to communicate more, or less?
- J'veux qu'tu m'veux, Stefan St-Laurent, 2001, 4'30
Can popular songs be appropriated to convey the experience of a gay-bashing
in Moncton? Or the need for acceptance? In an ongoing series of
autobiographical performance videos named Overmelodramas, the artist
explores our relationship to violence and culture, and questions our
polarized tastes for melodrama and documentary.
- Chic Point, Sharif Waked, 2003, 7'15
Fashion for Israeli checkpoints.
The most salient feature of Palestinian life has become the Israeli imposed
closure. Through hundreds of checkpoints, the Israeli occupation forces
curtail people's movement, and subject them to humiliating surveillance.
Today, Israeli's regard the individual Palestinian body as the most
dangerous weapon. In order to pass through checkpoints, Palestinians are
forced to lift their clothing and reveal their abdomens, to prove that they
are not carrying explosives, that they are not walking human bombs.
Chic Point is a 7:00 video shot in a fictional location: The occupation
catwalk. Employing all the conventional codes of a fashion show, models
reveal their abdomens in outfits designed especially for that purpose.
- Forever Young, Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay, 2001, 5'
If the future's so bright, why are we so obsessed with staying young,
freezing ourselves in time? An information overload of simultaneous
translations, satellite weather reports and defragmenting computer
screens, Forever Young is part love poem and part lament to our visions
of the future. Do you really want to live forever?
- Axis of Evil, Pascal Lièvre, 2003, 6'
In the honeymoon destination of Niagara Falls a man and a woman
declare their love for one another with the same words
President Bush used to declare war on terrorism.
- I am a Boyband, Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay, 2002, 5'30"
In "I am a boyband", through the magic of editing, Benny Nemerofsky
Ramsay plays all four singing/dancing roles in a male pop group.
It's a brilliantly choreographed riff on the perils and seductions
of pop culture.

21.00 break - main course of meal
Vlees doch Vis - Fast and Feast

21.30 second and final part of video program
- That Beauty, Dierdre Logue, 2003, 1'28"
Existing somewhere between being lost + finding oneself, this short film was
made under the influence of loneliness, liquor + disco.
- Lyric (excerpt), Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay, 2003, 8'
Lines from countless pop songs, taken from our collective memory
are compilled into a seemingly endless marathon song
- Heaven or Montréal, Dennis Day + Ian Middleton, 1997, 5'
Reflecting on the premature death of a young dancer and artist, Heaven or
Montréal points to unfinished ideas, creating "outlines" of lost energy and
imagination. As a finale, it summons all its desperation and asks for
silence to speak and stillness to dance. Ian Middleton, its co-author died
in 1993 of AIDS related causes.
- Audition Tape, 2003, 8'30"
What happens when a self-described "gay white male, 5'11", 155 lbs, 29,
good singing voice and physical co-ordination" answers an ad for a performer
in TATU, a Russian teen girl pop group?

22.15 third course of meal
Elisabeth I & II

22.30 end of Event

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv  original press release  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

IMPAKT EVENT
a nice spring evening with
BENNY NEMEROFSKY RAMSAY
FEATURING GASTRONOMICS BY PATRICK FAAS

Tuesday 18 May
Impakt @ Former Court House, Utrecht

Over the past few years Canadian artist Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay rapidly
established his name with short music clip inspired videos.

His major breakthrough came with his video "I'm a boyband', a piece that
premiered at the Impakt Festival 2002 and was screened international at
numerous festivals thereafter. In some of his works Benny Nemerofsky Ramay
uses existing pop songs and reinterprets them, adding new layers of meaning.
The works of Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay show how in mass media pure, individual
emotions are translated to recognizable cultural accepted codes. In his
video 'I'm a boyband', he investigates representations of the adolescent
male in pop culture. The four boys in this clip each represent a cliché from
this segment of the music industry: the macho, the sporty type, the sweet
and vulnerable one and the sympathetic 'boy-next-door'.

In this Event Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay will give an overview of his work,
including 'I am a Boyband', 'Je Changerais d'Avis', 'Forever Young',
'Audition Tape' and 'Lyric' (excerpt), and the world première of his new
piece 'Subtitled'. He will additionally show works by the following artists
that currently inspire him, including J'veux qu'tu m'veux', Stefan
St-Laurent (2001) 'Chic Point', Sharif Waked (2003), 'That Beauty", Dierdre
Logue (2003), Heaven or Montréal', Dennis Day + Ian Middleton (1997).

The installations 'Lyric' and 'Forever Young' will also be exhibited as part
of the Festival aan de Werf in Utrecht from May 20 to 29.

The Impakt Event with Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay is not only an artistic event
put also a gastronomical one. Impakt invited food historian and culinary
author Patrick Faas to create a three-course meal inspired by the works of
Ramsay. Patrick Faas is known a.o. for his book 'Around the Roman Table'.

This evening with Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay is nr. 6 in the series of monthly
Impakt Events we will organize in 2004. With its Events Impakt every month
presents in an accesable way the works of young and rising artists in the
field of Film/video, fine arts, music and new media.