knock on Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:35:55 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] [ STEIM ] Annoucement Lecture ixi Software April 26th at 20.30h

STEIM presents on Tuesday April 26 at 20:30:

Lecture by ixi software - Thor Magnusson & Enrike Hurtado Mendieta

ixi software is an experimental project concerned with building
prototypes for musical instruments. We are interested in the computer
as a workshop for building non-conventional tools for musicians, i.e.
not trying to imitate or copy the tools that we know from the real
world of instruments and studio technology. We currently work with open
source software and try to build interesting graphical front-ends to
software such as Pure Data or Supercollider, but our aim is also to
distribute our applications such that everybody can use them, by making
them simple and intuitive to use.

We are interested in free and open music software in all senses. Free
as in "free beer", free as in "free speech" and free as in "free jazz".
The last "freedom" being the most important one. New and
non-traditional interfaces are new instruments which can lead to new
musical structures.

In this presentation we will talk about the philosophy behind our work,
show some of it, explain the history of ixi and then discuss technical
aspects, all according to what the audience is more interested in
discussing.

http://www.ixi-software.net