Martin Sjardijn on Sat, 2 Jul 2005 11:10:31 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] proposal artspacelab

     Binnen deze nieuwsgroep maakte ik al eerder bekend waarmee ik bezig
was en ben binnen de beeldende kunst in relatie m.b.t. technologie en
ruimtevaart; voorbij een involutie-krisis die het PostModernisme kenmerkte,
voorbij de aan mailart verwante pogingen van de zogenaamde web-kunst

Hieronder vind u een voorstel in antwoord op een studie van het Europian
Space Agency (ESA),
naar zin/onzit en nut/onnut van een relatie tussen kunst/cultuur en
ruimtevaart.
Dit voorstel staat noodzakelijkerwijs in het Engels, want dat is nu eenmaal
de taal van de ruimte. ;-)
Later volgt een vertaling naar Nederlands.

Dit voorstel probeert een doorbraak te forceren naar een nieuwe ruimte voor
de kunsten,
waarin nieuwe media tot hun recht kunnen komen in een helder globaal
perspectief.

+++++++++++++++ArtSpaceLab (ASL) Proposal for the development of an
interactive 3D Multi-User Art World as an internet based virtual
communication center and art-lab between the International Space Station,
the Groninger Museum and the Art world+++++++++++++++

"Deshalb könnte es der Fall sein, dass die Menschen künftig die Bilder der
Wissenschaft für notwendiger erachtet
als die Bilder der Kunst. Um sich gegenüber den Wissenschaften und ihren
bildgebenden Verfahren behaupten zu können,
muss Kunst nach einer Position jenseits der Krise der Repräsentation und der
Bilderkriege suchen"

                                                       ~Peter Weibel

INTODUCTION

    Below you will find an art concept of the artist Martin Sjardijn to
create relations between the art scene and the technological orientated
space world, based on the Virtual Groninger Museum. The idea is to develop
an advanced communication platform between the International Space Station
and the art world. Thus the possibility has been created of a first
familiarization and exchange of data and communication, experiments and
research can take place. Groninger Museum, TU-Delft and the Dutch Royal
Academy of Fine Arts will cooperate in the art-project.
Project Goal

    The main goal is to develop an internet based 3D communications
platform, which can be used as exhibition space, space for 3D experiments,
3D entry to a wiki with database and multi-user voice or text chat. This
platform is specially designed for artists, art/students, and the regularly
changing manned crew of astronauts, living in the ISS, to exchange ideas in
the new field of art related to 'near earth outer space'. ArtSpaceLab (ASL)
enables the users to get more familiar with space technology by its future
possibilities of real-time communication as well as the entrance to a wiki
with related data about art and space. The use of the ASL could be compared
to the existing communications traditions with Ham Radio.
This platform shall enable artists and students to develop and present their
own concepts and artworks in an easily accessible and multifunctional
environment, which has a very low threshold for combining art with the most
advanced mathematical and High-Tech solutions. An example might be that it
will be very easy to simulate art visually and realistically in
weightlessness, or art in Virtual Reality.

There are several reasons why working with the ISS (and space technology in
general) is very interesting for artists on earth.

The first and foremost reason I want to integrate my work as an artist with
space technologies (like the ISS) is to explore new uncharted visual
territory, that will come into play when weightlessness and art become
intertwined. The facts are that this area has very scarcely been researched
in the global art scene.

The second reason I am interested in working with ESA and the ISS is because
of my own explorations within Augmented- and Virtual Reality in combination
with art and my experience is that these techniques are exceptionally well
suited for use in outer space and in space exploration.

The third reason for me to develop a project with ESA and/or the ISS is that
several major art institutes in the Netherlands are very interested in
contributing in research in this field.
The Groninger museum has asked me to investigate the possibilities to
incorporate education with these virtual reality techniques. The Groninger
museum is also interested in researching the possibilities for artists to
work with Virtual Reality techniques. The 'ExtraFaculteit' of the Dutch
Royal Academy of Fine Arts is interested in using challenging techniques and
technology for art development. An example of their scientific interests is
their 'Genetic Design' project, exploring the possibilities of combining
research fields in micro-biology ant art. Technical University Delft and
specifically the technical mathematics and informatics department have
offered to participate with technical assistance. The department Rapid
Prototyping owns a 3D laser scanner, which is compatible with the VRML
techniques we use in the project.

ABOUT THE PARTICIPANTS

-Martin Sjardijn

    In 1978 it became obvious to me to develop ideas for 'near earth outer
space'. Since art was losing meaning and power to me in favor of a complete
new and more powerful source of inspiration, coming from the dominating
technological culture. In stead of going 'back to nature' which was the new
fashion in painting those days, I want to the nature of 'near earth outer
space'. International activities like the building of a space station with a
permanent orbiting crew were the clearest way to understand globalization to
me. Upon that, the new arrival of the internet early gave the possibilities
for art in relation to space technology a tremendous boost.
In 1984 I created an Art Concept with a text:

A line in outer space
Visible from earth
With the naked eye
At clear nights

In 1985 a second concept arose titled 'Empty Square', which was meant to be
a virtual mirror in a starless universe.
Since 2000 Sjardijn is working on a project for the Groninger museum using
virtual reality. Within the scope of this project I do research to the
practical possibilities for education and art, using web-based interactive
3D techniques. The latter part Sjardijn wants to use for the development of
a basic Art-Space-Lab, which in future could function as an internet based
multi-user platform between the art world and the ISS. This idea/proposal
will be disseminated in response to the Arts Catalyst questions and will be
part of the virtual Coop-Himmelblau archive.

-Groninger Museum

    The Groninger Museum is a highly modern building designed by architects
of international reputation. The artist Martin Sjardijn was asked to create
an internet based virtual museum. In this world he made a virtual learning
environment and place for artists and virtual 3D exhibitions. The last part
of this project is the development of an experimental art environment.

-TU-Delft

   At TU-Delft, Industrial Design, Sjardijn did earlier experiments with use
of Head Mounted Display techniques and Data gloves as well as Computer Aided
design since 1990. Augmented reality is researched at the department of
Technical Math and Information Technology. 3D scanning and Rapid prototyping
could be researched for art experiments as well.
ExtraFaculty of the Dutch Royal Academy of Fine Arts (KABK)

-The ExtraFaculty

   The ExtraFaculty (xFac) of the KABK will participate in the art project
of Martin Sjardijn with the Groninger Museum. The xFac focuses on
intertwinings of the arts with scientific, technological and other areas in
our modern society. Head of the xFac, Taco Stolk, is a conceptual media
artist who has been developing science-related art projects in various
fields since the mid-nineties. Within this project, students of the xFac
will research and develop artistic ideas concerning the possibilities of
space art and the communication platform itself - under guidance of Sjardijn
and Stolk, and in collaboration with the other participants.
For images go here...

Martin Sjardijn, The Hague, June 2005

download pdf-format: http://www.kalamiteit.nl/world/proposal/proposal.pdf

Martin Sjardijn