Geert Dekkers on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:52:08 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] nznl.com digest, Aug 23, 2007 - Aug 29, 2007

nznl.com digest
Aug 23, 2007 - Aug 29, 2007
Posts  1902 - 1908

http://nznl.com
rss http://nznl.com/geert/nznl.xml
macosx only screensaver at http://graphics.nznl.org/ nznl_com_screensaver.dmg (>95MB)

There's a new version of an edited "STUDY FOR A NARRATIVE" online at
http://graphics.nznl.org/STUDY_FOR_A_NARRATIVE_2011_GALLERY_PIECE.mp4
As I wrote earlier, I'll be editing the daily posts to form this "narrative". I've deleted the earlier version entirely, started anew. For better or for worse.

As the posts consist of text to a far greater extent nowadays, I'm including these in the digest. And for the curious - the [[rate ]] tells my macosx command line "say" program to render text to speech at a different - well, rate.

1902. Aug 23, 2007
STUDY FOR A NARRATIVE, 2011, GALLERY PIECE (VICKI ON HER GALLERY)
flash movie
When I started the gallery, I showed mostly pictorial art. That is, drawings of objects, representing objects. Not of people, and if there were people, they would only be props on a stage. Most the drawings were of the insides of buildings, most of them rooms. The rooms were quite empty, with perhaps in a corner of the room, an object of some sort. As time went by, I grew less and less interested in showing pictorial art. I grew towards the abstract. I sought out artists who had cleansed themselves of the pictorial. Who were interested in the barren canvas, in the frame, in the tacks holding the canvas. But after a time, I felt that this too, was an approach to engrossed in the material and iconic values, too sensual. But I couldn't find anyone to lead me out of this impasse. There were those who proposed doing a show where no art was to be seen, but this I dismissed as a too easy kill.
http://nznl.com/index.php?dag=20070823

1903. Aug 24, 2007
STUDY FOR A NARRATIVE, 2011, GALLERY PIECE (CHANT)
flash movie
Bruce: My skin will [[rate 0]] fold around [[rate 150]] your [[rate 0]] skin. Vicki: Your skin will [[rate -100]]fold [[rate 170]]around my [[rate 50]]skin. [[rate 150]] I will [[rate 0]]move through [[rate 130]] you. Bruce: I will [[rate 0]] move [[rate 120]] through you. Together: I will[[rate 0]] move [[rate 150]] through you. I will [[rate 0 ]] move through[[rate 150]] you. I will move [[rate 0]] through you.
http://nznl.com/index.php?dag=20070824

1904. Aug 25, 2007
STUDY FOR A NARRATIVE, 2011, GALLERY PIECE (NARRATOR: DOOR TO DOOR)
flash movie
http://nznl.com/index.php?dag=20070825

1905. Aug 26, 2007
STUDY FOR A NARRATIVE, 2011, GALLERY PIECE (MY DOUBLE SOOTHS ME)
flash movie
Whenever I feel I have nothing to do, I open my mouth and start speaking. I just start speaking. And I listen to the sounds I make. I resound the sounds. I mouth the sounds. And gradually, I again fall in love. Its not about the words, its not about the sentences, its not about the meaning. Its my sound, its my sonority, its my vibration. I speak, and I post myself in my speech. I posit myself in my speech. I position myself in my speech. I am no longer alone, my double sooths me.
http://nznl.com/index.php?dag=20070826

1906. Aug 27, 2007
STUDY FOR A NARRATIVE, 2011, GALLERY PIECE (VICKI: EVERY DAY I NEED TO ASSERT MYSELF)
flash movie
[[rate 150]]Every day I need to assert myself. When I wake, I need to spend a minute, lying on my back, with my eyes open. I need to look for the spots on the ceiling that I look for every morning, I order them, I name them. Only after I have done that do I feel strong enough to rise. I walk to the mirror, look. I look uninterestedly at my face, my eyes, my hair. I look down along my body, open my hands, I look at the palms of my hands, and I say my name: Vicki.
http://nznl.com/index.php?dag=20070827

1907. Aug 28, 2007
STUDY FOR A NARRATIVE, 2011, GALLERY PIECE (STARTING POINT)
flash movie
http://nznl.com/index.php?dag=20070828

1908. Aug 29, 2007
STUDY FOR A NARRATIVE, 2011, GALLERY PIECE (OUR FATHER)
flash movie
Narrator: The "Our Father" itself is very important. Instead of choosing te whole Mass as model, one prayer might be suffficient. Bruce: Our Father. The "our". Where is the "our". "Belonging to a community". But where is that community? Father. Perhaps equates with "the father figure" as developed during the nineteenth century. But before that? From what is it translated? Who art in heaven. Heaven. Hallowed. Hallowed is thy Name. Hallowed. Analyse the words, that will bring you further. Hallowed is thy Name. The name of the Father, the name of the Son, the name of the Holy Spirit. The name of the father, the name of the son, the name of the holy spirit.
http://nznl.com/index.php?dag=20070829

Geert Dekkers--------------------------- http://nznl.com | http://nznl.org | http://nznl.net ---------------------------------------