geert on Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:41:43 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] THE GREEN BOX | new publication autumn 2007 | Jeanne van Heeswijk: SYSTEMS (Modified by Geert Lovink)

THE GREEN BOX is delighted to present its newest publication:

Jeanne van Heeswijk: SYSTEMS
412 | 456 pages (Engl. | Ger./Engl.), 1,200 illustrations, 165 x 230 mm, paperback
ISBN 978-3-908175-04-9 (Engl.) | 978-3-908175-05-6 (Ger./Engl.), Euro 44.-

Jeanne van Heeswijk: SYSTEMS gives a first comprehensive overview of Jeanne van Heeswijk’s socially engaged artistic practice, and at the same time presents models for the design of social spaces as well as directions for the analysis of their structures. The first part is dedicated to games people play, as rehearsals of social interactions, the second part investigates the rooms people inhabit, i.e. the urban structures of social cohabitation, which are the external reference points of social conditioning, and the third part deals with the communities people create as structures of individual, artistic positioning. The works, spaces and strategies presented are documented through rules and drawings, texts and photographs. Here too, Van Heeswijk offers space for alternatives, as anecdotal remarks and comments by the participants create a broad collage of possibilities, producing insights into a wide-ranging field of experiment. With texts by Carlos Basualdo, Marjolein Schaap and Axel Lapp. Design: Anja Lutz

On 17 November 2007 at 5.00 pm, a first presentation of this book will take place in the Museum De Paviljoens in Almere, The Netherlands (Odeonstraat 3-5, 1325 AL Almere, NL) on the occasion of the opening of the exhibition 'At Random? Netwerken en kruisbestuivingen', to which we would very much like to invite you.

Jeanne van Heeswijk (*1965) lives and works in Rotterdam and New York. She is a visual artist who creates contexts for interaction in public spaces. Her projects distinguish themselves through a strong social involvement. With her work Van Heeswijk stimulates and develops cultural production and creates new public spaces or remodels existing ones. To achieve this, she often works closely with other artists, with designers, architects, software developers, authorities and citizens. She regularly lectures on urban renewal, participation and cultural production, and currently works on the long-term projects ‘The Blue House’ in IJburg, Amsterdam. Van Heeswijk was included in the Busan Biennale (2006) and the Venice Biennale (2003), and participated in numerous shows all over the world.

For more informationen on all publications of THE GREEN BOX, please visit our website: http://www.thegreenbox.net

THE GREEN BOX
Kunst Editionen | Berlin
Invalidenstraße 161 (Remise)  •  D-10115 Berlin  •  http://www.thegreenbox.net